autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone try topping Meg's NXT 2.0 with a Carnauba Wax?

Hey there Auto Geekers,

Have any of you tried using NXT as the sealant and topped with a Nuba? I tried it with Mothers as the topper using their step 3 pure nuba and what I got was a mess. The paint looked all hazy and greasy, not to mention, wiping it wouldn't remove the greasy stuff. Sorry I don't have pictures but, that's how it looked. It was fine with just the NXT on it the night before. I even used my Brinkman to check to make sure I got it all off since it was a flat black Mercedes. I proceeded to try and spray on some FK425 to see if it would help the greasiness by wiping and it didn't help. Tried Mothers spray wax and wiped, that didn't help either. I got really desperate and tried CarPro Eraser and that didn't budge. Almost last resort was using a light green constant pressure pad and applying Mothers step 1 pre-wax cleaner to strip. Ended up marring the paint. Last thing I did was use a Cobra white cross-groove pad with M205 to start fresh. Now the car is wearing only the Meg's NXT with nothing else on it. Any idea what Carnauba wax might work well on top of NXT? Also, anybody ever experience greasy residue after applying and wiping off a nuba over a sealant? I could see that greasiness without my Brinkman light. When I shined the light on, it was real obvious. Hope you guys and gals could help me figure out what is going on... Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone try topping Meg's NXT 2.0 with a Carnauba Wax?

I top nxt with meg's gold class plus in the paste form and had no problems.
    Do note, the time needed for nxt to bond to the paint or the curing time is 12hrs.
    Meaning... apply, let it haze, wipe off... then wait 12hrs before you top with carnauba.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do that with my prior Mustang and never had any issues with streaking. Must be a curing problem.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

When I did the topping, I waited almost one day. I'm wondering if maybe the Mothers pure Carnauba just doesn't like being on top of XMT. Last time I topped a sealant, it was Klasse sealant after the AIO.

Post Thanks / Like

Flat black? Did it come like that or is that an aftermarket paint job? I thought you weren't supposed to wax flat/satin finishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I meant it was jet black with clear coat. Parts of the car have actually been repainted because prior to our purchase, it had been in an accident or two. The hood that I was having problems on is original paint. I'm pretty sure of that because the repainted parts have heavy orange peel.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have nxt topped with gold class on my truck currently, havent had any problems with it. I did wait a day before putting the nuba over the nxt though.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I've topped NXT, NXT2.0, #21 original and #21 Ver 2.0 with several waxes including Meguiar's #26 HiTech Wax with zero problems.

You're either not letting the sealant cure or using too much product.

As an aside, I've always felt more comfortable layering products from the same company although my favorite sealant is Finish Kare 1000p and I have topped it with Meguiar's #26 HiTech Wax.

Personally, I haven't found the benefits of topping a sealant with wax to outweigh the effort on anything other than a show car. or daily driver being prepped for show. Whatever extra depth/shine/clarity/whatever will soon fade and even if it doesn't, the dust accumilated on a daily driver after 30 minutes driving will hide the benefits anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I have topped NXT 2.0 with both DP Carnuba, Collinite, etc without any issues. However, I always allow 12-24 hours for the NXT to cure before topping it with anything. To date, I haven't experienced any issues with my cars.