autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiple Revenue Streams

I've recently been contemplating opening up a shop and making a go of this, but as I was out to eat with my wife last night I was looking around the restaurant I had a thought. People obviously have to eat, every day. Many people eat at the same place dozens of times throughout the year. On the flip side, a person may only want to have their car detailed once a year, if they even do it at all.

A restaurant may only need a town of 10,000 to support its business to where as town of 100,000 seems like it would be needed to support a detailing business.

So my question is, you guys that DO have your own shop, do you have multiple revenue streams coming in from offering different services or do you strictly detail?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multiple Revenue Streams

Its good to offer more than just "detailing" per-say, Like I offer detailing as well as headlight restoration, opti-coat, car care products, minor wheel repair and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

People may get a full detail once a year, but people get their car washed a dozen or more times a year.

Post Thanks / Like

I do all my work out of my garage to save over head. I looked into moving out but every where in my area is way over priced. I would have to do production work to pay for it and I will never do that kind of work. Some people have a shop and do mobile to cover the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to find car enthusiast that get their car detailed 3-4 times per year. Everyone won't but the ones that do will add up over time.

As far as offering multiple services, I would recommend you specialize and solely focus on detailing. If you want to do something else, just do it under a different entity or name.

If you have a toothache, would you be more likely to go to a general practitioner or a dentist?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other posters, car washes, wax's, full details, headlight restoration, touch-up paint. All great things that can add revenue. If you can get with a local window tinter, or remote start guy, try and build a business relationship with them, see if they can give you lower then retail prices for you to upsell from that. ie Your price $175, Retail $225, easy $50 for just being the middle man and setting up an appointment.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think the feeling/opinion is on people who operate just out of their own home. Thats what I've been doing the last couple years. Love working at home, just didn't know if there is possibly a perception out there of do it at home type of places not being "good enough" to afford an actual shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonn127 View Post
    What do you think the feeling/opinion is on people who operate just out of their own home. Thats what I've been doing the last couple years. Love working at home, just didn't know if there is possibly a perception out there of do it at home type of places not being "good enough" to afford an actual shop.
    I believe people will have the perception of a shop being more professional. People look at me oddly sometimes when I pull up in my coupe. Until I pull out all of my equipment and provide results, then they don't care at all. The biggest help to combat that perception is to establish yourself as a professional. Educate them, dress well, and carry yourself as a professional, then they'll know you're not just a person claiming to know what you doing.

Hope that helps!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do lot washing wen there is no detail work in my town 4$ rinse off and dry 50cen to dress tire I pay my helper 1.25$ to dry the car we can do 12 cars
    1hur to 1hr.30min I can make 39$hr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by izreal View Post
    I do lot washing wen there is no detail work in my town 4$ rinse off and dry 50cen to dress tire I pay my helper 1.25$ to dry the car we can do 12 cars
    1hur to 1hr.30min I can make 39
    Not really sure how to respond to this.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com