autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips for Detailing My Boat

I am getting ready to detail my boat for the summer (see pic below). Durability and water-spot prevention is key. I welcome suggestions on what products and tips you have for my boat. Because it takes a long time to detail a boat, I am looking for a 1 or 2 step process for the gel coat.

Here is what I am planning:

1. Wash the boat and trailer with Meguiars Gel Wash (only because I already have some)

2. Clean interior and vinyl with Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner.

3. Dress vinyl with 303 Aerospace protectant. I welcome another product instead if you have a recommendation.

4. Meguiars Cleaner Wax (M50) to the gel coat applied with a DA. What color lake country pad? Gel coat is in excellent condition already. Is there a better cleaner/wax you suggest?

5. What should I top the M50 with? I am concerned M50 by itself won't be very durable but I have never used it before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips for Detailing My Boat-lake-naci-2008-030-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Collinite paste wax 885 "best wax on the water!", or # 925(easier to apply/remove). I've had great success with Meg's M21 Synthetic Sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's wet but your boat does have that "Wet look" lol

When doing a boat, is it the same as when doing a car? Swirls, sealant, wax etc...

Tips for Detailing My Boat-imageuploadedbyagonline1368509345-170520-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I love 303 aerospace for my boat, all above options are good, but I would add on 303 speed detailer, I use it on my decks since it has uv screening as well.

Mike Phillips

Re: Tips for Detailing My Boat

Here's a two-step process I did last week...

Gel-Coat Oxidation Removal on 13" Boston Whaler

Before

After

What kind of boat are you working on?
    How long is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips for Detailing My Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    What kind of boat are you working on?
    How long is it?

Here is the boat I am working on: 2007 Centurion Avalanche 22" wakeboard/wakesurf boat.

My progress so far:

Boat Cover

The canvas boat cover was very dirty and dusty. Cleaned it first using 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner. After it was clean and dry, coated it with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. I used 48oz to fully treat the cover. The fabric looks awsome after.

Interior

I hoped ot use one product for the entire interior. Started with Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner diluted 3:1. This did a good job on the gel coat interior, but was only OK on the vinyl. Switched to Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce and had better results with cleaning the vinyl. I used a horse hair brush to aggitate the cleaner and loosen the dirt in the vinyl. The horse hair brush worked much better then a stiffer nylon brush.

Any tips on what to coat the windows so water spray while boating sheets off?

Exterior-Gel Coat

the Gel Coat is already in very good condition. I started down one side using a polish I already had left over (HD Polish) with a LC white pad. The gel coat shined up quickly. Then applied Collinite 845. Now I was running out of time before dark and the wife thinks I already spent too much time working on the boat over the past few days. So for the other side of the boat I switched to some Zaino AIO I had left over. This still did a good job and I am pleased with the results. What I learned is I need to use a AIO on my boat. I just don't want to spend the time polishing, sealing, waxing. The result difference between the two sides is not enough for me to spend the extra time.

I am about to place an order for the Marine 31 products and will get their All-In-One Gel Coat Plish & Wax. This seems like the better product for me to use on my boat now that I learned I need an AIO. Each time I pull the boat out of the water, I think I will try the Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax Plus. After sitting in the water for 1-5 days, water spots accumulate so I need a spray was/QD that will remove the water spots as well.

Trailer

This is where I have a problem. See the spotting in the picture from water spots? I cannot get the pait to shine. There is no clear coat. I also need help with how to polish a trailer where the surface areas are narrow. I tried a a 4" LC Hydro-Tech Tangerine pad with polish to clean up the trailer. My pad was red from the trailer paint before long. I was also too worried about taking the pait off the edges since the surface is so narrow.

Any tips on how to better clean up the spotting on the trailer?