autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Man keys luxury cars at dealership - what is wrong with people?

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    That's just wonton destruction, ugh, I HATE that... but the math doesn't add up.

12 cars, $10,000 each to fix = $120,000. Nowhere near $500,000
    Exactly what I was thinking, unless some of the luxury cars cost even more to repaint. I could understand if a bunch of Ferrari cars were keyed, but most of the cars that were damaged weren't super expensive luxury cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Not being the bleeding heart type, I would take someone like that and volunteer them for mine sweeping duty in some war zone...on foot.

Damn, you lose more a$$holes that way. That or use them for target practice.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why security cameras aren't HD. If this were a 1080p video, we would likely be able to make out some facial details to make identifying the perp easier.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    I don't understand why security cameras aren't HD. If this were a 1080p video, we would likely be able to make out some facial details to make identifying the perp easier.
    I was thinking the same thing. High quality security cameras aren't that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TH3M B0N3Z View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking, unless some of the luxury cars cost even more to repaint. I could understand if a bunch of Ferrari cars were keyed, but most of the cars that were damaged weren't super expensive luxury cars.
    It wasn't just the repaint but the drop in the value of the cars since it's not original anymore. Same thing like Excellent on KBB is a car with flawless paint that has never been retouched or painted.
    I drank what?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailing by M View Post
    I carry mace, a million volt taser and cuffs.
    I'll arrest you myself if you touch my stuff!!!!
    I hear ya'.... but I bet my .45 (and backup 9mm) will put ya' down a little better.
    Just got tired of carrying cuffs when little 9's these days are so light!

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    Well - a guy with nothing to loose it seems. Im sure he was either high and/or drunk - but that doesn't dismiss the damage. The company will be fine - insured im sure..... the man will not be caught, remembers nothing Im sure. If it is a man that is disgruntled and knew what he was doing, I hope he is caught and spends the equivalent time it takes to get each vehicle back to like new condition AND some in the correction system. With that said, I feel that the dealership will make money for the issue and will come ahead ten fold, thats what they do best - probably an inside job lol.
    I'm thinking the same thing Anthony. Somebody knows something there.

Quote Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post
    Wow, that happened in my town here, crazy..
    Norris is a used car dealer here, and tbh, they're kind of assholes in my experience. They specialize in "high end" cars that they sell at prices that are at times, way too expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if they pissed this guy off previously. Still a terrible thing though..
    Quote Originally Posted by ezriderga View Post
    Bad Karma headed his way. Over $500,000.00 in damage and a $2500.00 reward?
    These two replies are likely getting at the truth with that car lot. Most people wouldn't specifically pick out a place like that unless they had some sort of axe to grind. I'm thinking he's pretty pissed at them already.

Funny how when you have THAT much (supposed damage) and you can't even manage to cough up ONE PERCENT for a reward? OH LUCY.... Sumptin's fishee 'round here.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I'm glad someone else besides me caught this and now the dealer should be charged with insurance fraud....Maybe they can share the same cell....
    So just that I try and understand. He's saying he can get even the most expensive "hi-line: car done for 10K.... or even AVERAGE 10K perhaps. Thing is, a true hi-line that's undamaged, and you want to get the most for it, you would remove all the panels to paint it. Hood, doors, trunk at least. And if you are serious you'd pull the bumper covers and front fenders. Dropping $30K on that paint job wouldn't be out of line either. Even then, 12 @ 30K is only $360,000. Sounds like a bogus insurance claim to me. Especially when he starts talking about the CARFAX.

Repainting a car does NOT go into CARFAX unless you get your insurance involved with accident repair, and even then it may not be reported under a garage keepers claim.

Now "diminished value" I'm a huge believer in, and perhaps he's adding that to the 'cost'. (As well he should.) But there is no freaking way he's got that much damage on 12 used cars. Probably they are not worth 500K if they TOTAL them all.

OTOH I had a guy one time that tried something along those lines with me. When I was getting out of the towing business I had a custom built triple axle car hauler to pull behind my big GMC 6500. It was medium metallic blue to match the truck, with chrome wheels and polished diamond plate. The trailer was 41' long and would hold 3 sub compacts and 2 of even a huge Ford Excursion. There was a guy that came to me wanting to lease it because he didn't have the money to buy it. So I let him take it to his car lot and use it to haul his auction cars. He paid me for about 9 months then the money stopped. Now I didn't know the guy, but he was a friend of a friend (that vouched for him) so I didn't worry too much when I let him take the trailer in the first place.

Anyhow, he'd paid me like something around $4500 in leasing fees on it so it was going well. I THOUGHT!!! One day my friend called me and asked if I'd gone to repo the trailer. (I'd been after him to get with his buddy because I'd not seen a payment last month and this month was late too.) I told him I surely had not gone after the trailer, "Besides it's inside a locked lot, right?" That's when he told me someone cut the chain, moved cars on the lot to get to the trailer (but didn't steal any) and the trailer was missing! I quickly called the police (in another county) and filed a report along with my insurance company. I'd told them from the beginning that he was storing the trailer at his car lot and leasing it from me. (Didn't belong to them anyhow but I wanted them to know where it was.)

I told him I'd turned it in to my Insurance Company and that was that! And I did get paid for it, which at that time he went NUTS! He started telling me how he had been buying it and HE had turned it into HIS insurance company. Also that when HE got paid for it he would pay me the $1500 he still owed me. Excuse me... but unless YOU own it.... then YOU are not getting a DIME from it. I told him that his insurance company could contact me and we'd go from there. In fact, I contacted his people and told them I held title to it and it was only being stored on his lot. If they wanted to pay me for it, then fine, but other than that HE held no interest in the trailer.

I let him know right quick that he WAS NOT buying it, he was LEASING it, (to purchase) and if he cared to look at his lease agreement he would KNOW he was in default by not making payments on time. Therefore he was in default on his lease and all payments up to date were mine. (The agreement, because he didn't want to get a bank loan to buy it to begin with, was as long as he paid the lease payments that at the end of 12 months I would sign the title over to him. I made very specific rules in the agreement to that effect, including late payment penalties and condition of default situations.)

Long story short, they paid me for the missing trailer and I sent them the title. About 6 months later my wife calls me and tells me the guys insurance company has applied for a DUPLICATE title on the trailer. (My wife is a Title Manager for IAA, has been for over 30 years) She had been keeping tabs on the thing with her connections at the state title office / DMV. Someone there called her to tell her what was going on as soon as it popped up on the screen. Besides, it was red-flagged as possible fraud anyhow.

Last I heard he was in prison for a whole string of 'fraud' related schemes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123