autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form

Quote Originally Posted by virus911s View Post
    Please send me one Mike! Much appreciated. jjrm911s@gmail.com

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Jjrm911s@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Is this post still valid? Is there a different location I should be looking for?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Be patient, Mike will get around to you. He does have other things to do beyond this forum so often collects a few requests before sending the documents out.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by virus911s View Post
    Is this post still valid? Is there a different location I should be looking for?

s

You know, I'm only human and while I work really fast there's only so much output I cnan put out each day.

January is ALWAYS a very busy month. In the last few weeks I've filmed TV. Created power points for 8 classes, taught 8 classes as well as worked all of MTE, plus dozens of other projects.

I don't just send out individual emails to each person that contacts me asking me for the form. Others might have that kind of time but I don't. What I do is create a LIST from all the people that contact me from MULTIPLE sources and then send everyone on this list the form.

I've been doing this as a favor to people since 2014.

Once in a while I get busy and then get behind.

Sorry.

Flew into California today for 3 huge projects that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. When I return to Florida next week I will compile a NEW list and send out the form.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I said above, Mike has other things to keep him busy and will get around to it. :-)

... and to Mike, you don't often hear it in this forum, but we appreciate all you do to assist us in the detailing arena. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    s

You know, I'm only human and while I work really fast there's only so much output I cnan put out each day.

January is ALWAYS a very busy month. In the last few weeks I've filmed TV. Created power points for 8 classes, taught 8 classes as well as worked all of MTE, plus dozens of other projects.

I don't just send out individual emails to each person that contacts me asking me for the form. Others might have that kind of time but I don't. What I do is create a LIST from all the people that contact me from MULTIPLE sources and then send everyone on this list the form.

I've been doing this as a favor to people since 2014.

Once in a while I get busy and then get behind.

Sorry.

Flew into California today for 3 huge projects that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. When I return to Florida next week I will compile a NEW list and send out the form.

Appreciate it! And thank you. Have been following this tread and was not seeing anybody post to it so I became curious. Looking forward to the document. Have a good one!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by keithstewart View Post
    Like I said above, Mike has other things to keep him busy and will get around to it. :-)

... and to Mike, you don't often hear it in this forum, but we appreciate all you do to assist us in the detailing arena. Thanks.

Thanks Keith,

Super busy right now, below is where I'm at and what I'm up to.

For what it's worth... I don't think Chip, Wayne, Chris, Dave or Mike Brewer hang out on forums answering questions and Mailing out forms they create.

At least I don't know of any forums the hang out on and interact, answer questions or post how-to articles?

The Classic Auto Show - January 27th 28th & 29th at the LA Convention Center

Join me and Chris Jacobs, Chip Foose, Wayne Carini, Dave Kindig and Mike Brewer for three days of car guy fun at

The Classic Auto Show

Welcome to The Classic Auto Show 2017!

The Classic Auto Show is a brand new three-day celebration of all things automotive, paying tribute to the cars that graced our highways in bygone years and paved the way for the modern motor cars we see on the road today.

These three days will showcase the best of the classic and vintage motoring scene including the stars from Velocity’s biggest car shows, the best car clubs from across the US, and a huge range of brands including all your favorite American cars along with the best from the rest of the world.

Expect to see the rare and unusual, pristine and project cars, those that were loved and some that were hated, the car that your folks used to take you on your first road trip and the one that you learned to drive in – something for everyone automotive enthusiast!

Journey through the ages as you stroll along our Grand Boulevard lined with a unique automotive historic timeline, enjoy a mix of entertainment and expert advice in our Celebrity Theater, and explore the hall filled with car dealers, parts and service providers, and everything you need to keep on motoring.

Show Location:

Los Angeles Convention Center; South Hall
    1201 S Figueroa Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90015

Show Dates:

Friday, January 27, 2017, 10AM-7PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2017 9AM-7PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2017 9AM-5PM

Social Media – Tag Us for Instant Exposure!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/theclassicautoshow
    Twitter: twitter.com/theclassicauto
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/theclassicautoshow
    Snapchat: ClassicAutoShow
    Hashtag: #TheClassicAutoShow

See you there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hy Lydia,

I use to send out this form along with the VIF,

The Nutshell Version of Car Detailing

It was a three page article that explained the basics of detailing. The idea was

You --> read it and know what's in it and understand the information. (most detailers should know this stuff).

Your customer --> reads it and then has a basic understanding of the tools and products "you" use (it's very generic).

It also explains to the customer,

1. Paint is thin and why it's important to both know this and hire a detailer that actually knows what they are doing.

2. Paint is scratched easily, thus it's important to wash the car carefully.

3. It encourages the customer to hire you to maintain their vehicle after the initial detail (Maintenance program)

4. It encourages the customer to send you referrals

5. It recommends the person to check out AutogeekOnline.net for helpful information for taking care of their car's appearance.

6. It recommend my book, "The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine", which like the forum, teaches people how to take care of their car's appearance.

Because the form is a Microsoft Word Document, a person can edit it to their liking.

If you like, I will send you the form. If you don't mind, I would like you to read it and then share on this forum what you think about it? That is,

1. Do you think it would help you with your business?

2. Do you think it would help others with their business?

What do you think?

Hi Mike,

My apologies for not responding - I just noticed this post now. Thanks so much for sending the document out! I've already added it to my information packet to give customers and potential customers. I think it's a great idea. In answer to your questions:

1. Do you think it would help you with your business?
    Yes, I do. One thing I like in particular is the fact that it explains a few times the reasons it takes time for a vehicle to be detailed thoroughly. This is an important part of educating the customer that I'll be quite frank, I have a difficult time with. I've never had a customer unhappy once they see the finished product, but I have had a few comments during the process about how long it takes. While I'm perfectly comfortable with the fact that it takes a while, this is something I have a harder time explaining to customers. I'm confident in my abilities but lack confidence in explaining those things to people. I tend to be easily cowed, and while I realize a need to improve in that regard, this document helps communicate the information to them that I have a harder time communicating. It's concise and clear.

It's also good because they can review over the information at a later date. It's not really feasible to expect to (a) be able to tell the average customer all that information in one conversation without them zoning out or falling asleep and (b) expect them to remember much of it. This gives them time later to review it and can help them see the reasons other services are helpful (particularly decontamination).

I also like the section requesting referrals. Like you mentioned, they are worth much more than any type of advertising. I think the document is a subtle yet effective way to ask for referrals.

2. Do you think it would help others with their business?
    Absolutely. Another bonus of it is the credibility it lends to the individual detailer. It shows that they know what they're doing and also helps the customer know what they're talking about.

I actually have a few other documents myself (one to keep track of the time it takes me to detail different vehicles and time to perform each step - I made it quick to fill out so I can just jot down the time I finish each process. This helps me keep track of my time spent so I can be brutally honest on how much I end up making per hour, and helps me bid other vehicles more accurately. Another is a completion form for them to keep that details the services performed on their vehicle - helpful for customers with multiple vehicles. This also includes the referral blurb. And so on - I used to create technical, training, and end-user documents as part of my prior job so sometimes I get carried away making documents!) Like you suggested, I also made some minor changes to the VIF based on the services I offer. Since I service a relatively small area geographically I've actually been shying away from a price sheet and leaning more toward free onsite quotes for customers. The gas doesn't cost me too much and it gives me a good chance to tailor my services to their expectations. It also helps me avoid the possibility of underbidding when quoting something sight unseen. So I adapted the VIF to include a place to list the agreed upon services, and also a few yes/no questions to help me remember to ask them (vehicle been repainted recently, approved to water wash, etc.)

Anyways, I digress. Thanks again so much for providing the VIF and the Nutshell Version of Car Detailing document! I find them both to be VERY helpful tools.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007
    Green 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 & Silver 2007 Honda ST1300

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaGP View Post
    Hi Mike,

Anyways, I digress. Thanks again so much for providing the VIF and the Nutshell Version of Car Detailing document! I find them both to be VERY helpful tools.

Thanks Lydia,

Can't type much, have to get up early.

I have the updated version of "The Nutshell Version of How To Detail a Car" with your suggestions AND a brand new project to help you even more!

More on that when I get back to Florida and probably after my Boat Detailing Class that's coming up on February 4th.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, could I also get a copy. Thank you.

Peace,

Darrin

Page 264 of 333 FirstFirst ... 164214254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274314 ... LastLast