autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Working with Pearl White Paint

Thank you for taking the time to read this post! Both of my cars are Pearl White (2011 GMC Yukon SLT and 2010 Nissan Sentra SR) and I was wondering if you had any advice regarding this type of paint since it is a tricoat paint job. I would definitely appreciate any advice, suggestions, or criticisms regarding my planned detailing process below.

So far, as a detailing beginner, the process I am planning on taking is (using a Griot's Orbital -practiced on junk parts- and Cobra microfiber):

Step 1 - Full Car Wash by Pressure Wash and Hand Mitt (basic)
    Step 2 - Mother's Gold Clay Bar System
    Step 3 - Meguiar's M09 Swirl Remover
    Step 4 - Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
    Step 8 - Meguiar's PlastX on Plastics
    Step 5 - Collinite 845 Wax
    Step 6 - Top Collinite with Carnuba Wax or Dodo Juice
    Step 7 - Mother's Back to Black Trim Restorer

***Also, my Nissan SR went through a major accident approximately 6 months ago which required many repairs, including the painting of the:

-Right Fender
    -Left Fender
    -Hood
    -Bumper

The work was quite immaculate as it was done by a certified shop. Any specific considerations I should take while working on these parts? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Working with Pearl White Paint

You seem to have a well equipped arsenal. A tri-coat paint job still has a clear coat and therefore can be treated the same way as any other paint job. The only difference is there is a mid-coat that adds the pearlescent look to the car.
    (Don't forget the wheels and tires) A paint cleanser before the wax application will also ensure a polish free surface prior to getting your shine on.
    I would be cautious on the repaired areas, they may not have the same clearcoat thickness of the factory finish
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    You seem to have a well equipped arsenal. A tri-coat paint job still has a clear coat and therefore can be treated the same way as any other paint job. The only difference is there is a mid-coat that adds the pearlescent look to the car.
    (Don't forget the wheels and tires) A paint cleanser before the wax application will also ensure a polish free surface prior to getting your shine on.
    I would be cautious on the repaired areas, they may not have the same clearcoat thickness of the factory finish
    Thanks for you reply! Can you possible clarify the part about, "A paint cleanser before the wax application will also ensure a polish free surface." What product would you recommend?

Regarding the tires, I have a Mother's Wheel and Tire Brush Kit which I will use, and I'll finish off with either 3M or Turtle Platinum Tire Shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go. Some people use an IPA and water mix but I'm afraid of that.
    Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner, prewax paint cleaner, paint prep cleaner
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to read this post! Both of my cars are Pearl White (2011 GMC Yukon SLT and 2010 Nissan Sentra SR) and I was wondering if you had any advice regarding this type of paint since it is a tricoat paint job. I would definitely appreciate any advice, suggestions, or criticisms regarding my planned detailing process below.

So far, as a detailing beginner, the process I am planning on taking is (using a Griot's Orbital -practiced on junk parts- and Cobra microfiber):

Step 1 - Full Car Wash by Pressure Wash and Hand Mitt (basic)
    Step 2 - Mother's Gold Clay Bar System
    Step 3 - Meguiar's M09 Swirl Remover
    Step 4 - Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
    Step 8 - Meguiar's PlastX on Plastics
    Step 5 - Collinite 845 Wax
    Step 6 - Top Collinite with Carnuba Wax or Dodo Juice
    Step 7 - Mother's Back to Black Trim Restorer

***Also, my Nissan SR went through a major accident approximately 6 months ago which required many repairs, including the painting of the:

-Right Fender
    -Left Fender
    -Hood
    -Bumper

The work was quite immaculate as it was done by a certified shop. Any specific considerations I should take while working on these parts? Thank you!

I just got a pearl white 2009 maxima(low miles) but with a good amount of swirls and rids. I'm pretty new to the detailing game but I used a GG6 with Menzerna FG400(orange pad) and followed it up with SF-4000(gray pad) and it turned out great. I still have temp paper plates on my car and over the past two months I've been asked about 10 times how I like the New Maxima and then they usually say or ask is that a 2013 and I have to bow my head and say no it's a 2009. Next I hear wow....it's looks great and all I can think is yes it does..........only because of all the great post on autogeek that help me...lol One day I'll get some pics up but I just wanted to share what I used on my pearl white paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I see no advantage in topping the Collinite with anything other than another application of Collinite. For my Blizzard White Pearl RAV4 Duragloss #501 cleans well even after clay. Having said that the #501 leaves a sealant behind which may interfere with the Collinite bonding. Mine is essentially a garage queen so durability is not as important to me.
    Rick....now in North Texas