autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gel Coat Oxidization Removal - How much to charge?

Gel Coat Oxidization Removal - How much to charge?

I've been asked to quote on what the owner feels will be a basic polish on a 27 foot boat. The owner says that it isn't badly oxidized and won't need compounding so I gave him a ballpark quote based on this. It's been kept under a roof most summers and stored inside off season.

I'll be seeing the boat in person this week I believe. I've never done a boat before.

Do you think it will need compounding? I'll provide more info (age etc) of boat when I know more. I don't know the 'rules of thumb' for boats. How can I judge when I first look - without a test spot - so I can tell my customer more accurately how much I need to charge.

If you compound a boat, do you normally follow up with a dual action to clean it up some more like a car? I'm guessing the same rules apply.

Everything I've read is telling me that my Flex 3401 isn't enough? If it can be done with the 3401, what will make it fastest and best.

Is it much different doing a boat, I can see it may be more of a pain in tight areas.

I'm guessing 2 days work for this - am I close?

I probably have many more questions, so feel free to make suggestions regarding pads, cutting and polish recommendations etc etc.

Thank,

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Correcting oxidized gelcoat

When they say it will not need compounding thaat's a sure clue it will need compounding. I'd suggest having a RB and wool pads in your arsenal as recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

my opinion only, but the gel will oxidize whether under a roof, under a tarp or in the water...it will be all chalky and i dont have to see it.

Again, its just my opinion, you'll never make it without a rotary and wool pads...
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Just did my Bass boat with my PC and CG Phase V and it came out nice.

Post Thanks / Like

First suggestion: Don't take their word for the oxidation. If they say no oxidation, expect low to medium. Light oxidation... medium to heavy!

Second suggestion: use a rotary buffer and wool pads. Gel coat is a lot harder than clear coat.

Third: if you are really unsure, bring the buffer with you along with some cleaner wax and compound. Do a test spot which will impress them and show you how oxidized it really is. Start with the one-step cleaner wax. If it does a great job, good - you can do the boat in one pass. Compound requires more.

Fourth: be real clear about what they want and what you are doing. Is this from the waterline to rub rails? Does it include topside? Are you cleaning the hull?

Finally: if they have not had their boat professionally cleaned in the past, bring a mattress so they don't hurt themselves when they pass out from the price! Make sure to quote your price like you've quoted it a thousand times and know you are right.
    David Crockett
    (850) 658-2634

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wanabe detailer View Post
    Just did my Bass boat with my PC and CG Phase V and it came out nice.
    not really a fair comparison to a 42 foot boat.
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post

I've been asked to quote on what the owner feels will be a basic polish on a 27 foot boat. The owner says that it isn't badly oxidized and won't need compounding so I gave him a ballpark quote based on this. It's been kept under a roof most summers and stored inside off season.

I probably have many more questions, so feel free to make suggestions regarding pads, cutting and polish recommendations etc etc.

Thank,

Doug

Here's a tip Doug...

Instead of tagging your questions onto a thread from last year, (which can cause some confusion), start a "Dedicated Thread".

That is start your own thread and this will give your project all the dedicated attention it deserves.

Also give your thread a good title so people will know exactly what you're working on and what you need help with.

See these two articles I wrote here for the expressed purpose of helping people to help themselves better on forums....

A tip to help yourself get great answers when you start a thread

How to write a good title for your thread

Also, if you like I can move your post and all the other follow-up posts to a "dedicated thread" for you.

Just let me know what you want for a title.

Post Thanks / Like

Great comments and suggestions from everyone, all much appreciated.

Sorry for Hijacking this thread!

Thanks for the tips Mike and please go ahead and create new thread. For a thread title, how about "Gel Coat Oxidization Removal Advice Needed" ?

Mike Phillips

Re: Gel Coat Oxidization Removal Advice Needed?

There you go buddy...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    When they say it will not need compounding thaat's a sure clue it will need compounding. I'd suggest having a RB and wool pads in your arsenal as recommended.

I agree.

Don't give an estimate until you are standing in front of the boat with the owner.

That's a whole lot of buffing to do. I'll see of my buddy Paul aka Sailfish can chime in, he buffs out a lot of boats here in the Stuart area.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast