autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question concerning Lake Country pad density

Hi all,

Serious newbie here ready to try my hand at cleaning up the paint on my vehicles. I received an Amazon gift card for Christmas so I used that to buy some pads and other supplies. I bought 6.5" pads and a 6" backing plate from Amazon. This is my first exposure to detailing with a DA machine and I tired to get a variety of pads. My Celica GTS has some oxidation and needs work, but my 91 300ZX is nice and clean but has some swirls. Both cars are white. I think I got what I would need for both jobs....

My question is concerning the pad density. It seems that someone messed up my order at Amazon. I ordered 1 each yellow, orange, green and blue. But I received 2 yellow with one of them in a bag marked " 6.5" Green Heavy Polishing". Then I thought maybe the green pad is now yellow?? But when I compare the 2 yellow pads they feel exactly the same and appear to have the same density. I came to the conclusion that one of the yellow pads was stuck in a green pad bag by mistake but I compared all of the pads and noted the following:

- The blue pad is the most flexible, least dense
    - The orange pad (actually salmon colored?) feels the least flexible, most dense
    - The yellow pads seem fairly flexible, somewhere between the blue and yellow in density

Shouldn't the yellow pads be denser and less flexible than the orange pad since it's a cutting pad and the orange is a light cutting pad? Is it possible to feel the difference in pads concerning density and flexibility or am I chasing my tail?

As far as the products I am planning to use, I bought some M205 for the slight z swirls. I already had some Medium Cut Cleaner M0116, and Ultimate Compound which I plan to try on the Celica. I'll follow up with NXT wax.

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question concerning Lake Country pad density

In my opinion it may be best to search AG Lake Country make several different types of pads. The colors vary, CCS, Hydro, Flat pad, etc...

I suggest a test section to see what works on your paint. T
    his is wear the rubber meets the road.
    The end result is what we are looking for, rather than the color of pad.
    The color is just a reference for ID purposes. Different manufactures use different colors for different pads. Megs, LC, buff & shine, 3M etc...

I how this helps you.