autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2010 Black 335i one step correction

I was contacted on one of my BMW forums for a job on a badly swirled Jet Black 335i coupe. I have never seen a newer car with such hammered paint. Right now I kicking myself for not taking a few extra minutes to take before pictures of the condition of the paint or even 50/50 pictures. Its odd that I did my 50/50 and looked in aww to what the FG400 is capable of but I was to busy rushing to get the car done. This is a hard lesson learned as none of my pictures show the before condition

This was a one day job that was done on Sunday so I had to knock out my 1 step correction and finish the car by 7 pm. This was about 9 hours worth of work. I used Menzerna FG400 on a orange hybrid foam pad with my 3401 running full bore. This left me with a nearly LSP ready surface and BL on a white polishing pad finished it out nicely.

Exterior

- Wheels were prepped with Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner and Car Pro IronX with various brushes
    - Tires were spritzed down with Meguiar's APC
    - Wheel wells were cleaned with Meguiar's APC
    - Rinseless Wash with Meguiar's RFEW
    - Door jambs were cleaned up
    - Clayed with Meguiar's Blue clay and Last Touch detailer
    - Dried
    - Tires dressed with Meguiar's Endurance Gel
    - Masking
    - Compound Menzerna FG400
    - Last step/AIO - Chemical Guys BL

It was freezing outside while washing the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Black 335i one step correction

Looks good nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

Its odd that I did my 50/50 and looked in aww to what the FG400 is capable of but I was to busy rushing to get the car done.
    You have no idea how many times I have done this. Working mobile sometimes it feels like I am racing against the clock all day long.

Very nice work on the bimmer!!! I'm sure the owner is happy with the results. I need to try some of that FG400...
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    It was freezing outside while washing the wheels.

How do you deal with below freezing temps? What special precautions have to be taken to protect the car and your safety?
    Last edited by steamshooter; 01-15-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: hit submit too soon

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Smack!! The black looks perfect!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Looks good nice job!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    You have no idea how many times I have done this. Working mobile sometimes it feels like I am racing against the clock all day long.

Very nice work on the bimmer!!! I'm sure the owner is happy with the results. I need to try some of that FG400...
    I really wish I would have just stopped to take those 50/50 of the spot on the front fender. Dang.

The owner was ecstatic and thought I repainted the car. If you can spend a bit extra for a nice compound you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by steamshooter View Post
    Looks good.

How do you deal with below freezing temps? What special precautions have to be taken to protect the car and your safety?
    I just washed the wheels like normal with the hose then brought it inside the garage with my small electric heater and closed the door with my two buckets set up with very warm water and my rinseless wash

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Looks great Smack!! The black looks perfect!
    Thanks Marc. FG400 is my new go to compound. The longer you work this stuff the better it finishes. I am now a Menzerna convert.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!
    2009 e90 BMW 335i - Montego Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Thanks Marc. FG400 is my new go to compound. The longer you work this stuff the better it finishes. I am now a Menzerna convert.
    You're making me want to try the FG400! I understand that it's DAT. How many passes do you have to do before it breaks down?

How cold does it get in Vegas? We've had a cold spell here in Phoenix as well. It went down to 21 in my area the past 2 nights. Brrr!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neothin View Post
    Looks great!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    You're making me want to try the FG400! I understand that it's DAT. How many passes do you have to do before it breaks down?

How cold does it get in Vegas? We've had a cold spell here in Phoenix as well. It went down to 21 in my area the past 2 nights. Brrr!
    Marc get some of the FG400. It may not have all the cutting ability of M105 but the fact that it has a much longer working time, hardly any dusting, no gumming up, finishes up nicer than M105 and is a breeze to wipe off just like a wax makes it a clear winner for me. Also using it on my 3401 with my heavy orange 5 inch hybrid cutting pad will give almost all the correction you could as for and working it to say 8-10 passes and you are very close to being LSP ready. I would work it to 4-6 passes minimum but you can clearly see the longer you work it the better it gets. If you are short on time or doing a one step BL or any AIO will have the ability to finish out what was left that FG400 couldnt finish to. I was doing 6 minimum and up to 10 passes to really get LSP ready surface.

It has really been cold here in Vegas starting last Friday. When you are used to 100 plus in the summer like us, 40 or below feels like your going to die from frost bite. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT job Mike!! It's funny that the owner thought you re-painted it, must've been in really bad condition. Rims/wheels look brand new.
    Always want to get started and forget to take any pictures even 50/50.
    Menz is really good stuff, ordered super finish (on back order) and power lock, can't wait to try that combo.

It's been kinda chilly for the southwest area.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast