autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Opti Seal

This bad boy was in rough shape IMO.

Basically a co worker tried to spray paint a piece of trim on the driver’s door and the car ended up being covered in overspray. We called him tremclad for the last couple of weeks.

He finally asked me to get the overspray off for him. I told him it would also entail a polish, so I opted for the poli seal, and it was a great time to test drive the new flex 3401 (which for the life of me I swear spins counter clockwise!)

Unfortunately after I got into the overspray and the decon, the car was worse than I thought. No final pics yet (almost done) but here is what I have so far.

Here is the overspray and tape line on the driver’s side rear door and a pillar

Here are a couple of the clay process...wow is all I can say about the overspray...it was everywhere!!

A look at the overall condition after the clay and elastrofoam block (definitely not impressed with this alternative to clay...nano skin or OPT clay alternative is next on the list).

Can still see some slight overspray the buffed out in the end...

And here are a few 50/50 and finish shot prior to opti seal being applied. I flipped back and forth with various combos and can’t remember what exactly was used in each picture, but there are combos of hyper compound and 5.5 MF pads, 5.5 LC CCS orange pads on the hood roof and deck lid followed by poli seal on 5.5 MF pads and white and blue 5.5 LC CCS and Tangerine HT's...some combos worked great some not so much, but I found the flex was very pad fussy for some reason...it will take some time to get used to, but I can definitely say I did not like the HT's on the flex...shame really.

I tried everything on this bad boy, but it just would not buff out...lol

Here are a couple of pad shots to show the dirt...this blew me away...
    The blue was used on the hood AFTER the hyper compound to apply the poli seal and it still showed some signs of cleaning...

And this is actually an orange LC CCS...hood only with Hyper Compound...

I’ll try and get some final shots up in the sun! As always thanks for looking and your feedback!
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Opti Seal

I feel the same as you with the HT pads on the flex. The cyans worked better than the others though. Dont know why but the red and tangerine just didnt seem like they were performing as they should on the flex. They do great on a griots DA. For me the CCS pads seem to do better than the flat pads on the flex. Want to try some different pads on the flex, any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Opti Seal

im with you with the pads on the flex...im looking for the right fit.

ive read that the LC hybrids are good and the Buff and Shine with the flex. unfortunately i think it will be trial and error, and tehre are a few good pad selections out there.

I did see Flex pads on the Flex website, but they are made by LC (stamped on the back of the pad) so im guessing they are the same as the LC hybrid.
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune