autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Up Close & Personal: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax -The Good Stuff defined

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax is yet another revolutionary product from Optimum Polymer Technologies. Dr. David Ghodoussi - the brains behind Optimum car care products - managed to fuse his award-winning No Rinse Wash & Shine with the patented UV inhibitors found in Optimum Car Wax to create an all-new product – Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax. The latest innovation from Optimum Polymer Technologies promises to deliver the convenience of a rinseless car wash with the cutting-edge protection of advanced UV inhibitors and high-grade carnauba wax.

An Inside Look - Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax

When talking with Dr. David Ghodoussi (better known simple as "Dr. G") at SEMA last year he was very enthusiastic about the newest creation to leave his lab. He explained that No Rinse Wash & Wax isn't simply a "booster," but rather the real deal; the patented UV inhibitors provide real paint protection while the carnauba wax imparts a deep, glossy shine. Dr. G could not emphasize the words "paint protection" enough when describing No Rinse Wash & Wax.

Rinseless Car Washes - Why YOU Should Care

What’s the big deal about rinseless car washes? As more countries enforce stringent water restrictions, it’s becoming more difficult to properly wash your vehicle. In some countries, it’s even illegal to wash your vehicle the traditional way. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax eliminates the hose and run-off that occurs from rinsing a soapy car. Plus, if you live in an area with cold temperatures or where snow fall occurs, Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax enables you to wash your vehicle inside your garage. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax is also perfect if you live in an apartment complex and don’t have access to a hose.

How To: Perform a Rinseless Car Wash - Tools Required

There is one thing you should know about rinseless car washes: everyone has their own technique. I'm an advocate of keeping it simple when I perform a rinseless car wash on my vehicle and these are the tools that make the job quick and easy:

• Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches - I won't hesitate to call this the perfect microfiber towel. From quick detail sprays to wax removal to rinseless car washes, the Gold Plush Jr. does it all. The towel features a medium nap on one side and a flat weave on the other. The medium nap is thick enough to trap dirt particles but not too thick to the point that it causes unnecessary drag (drag = scratches/marring) while performing a rinseless wash. Pair this microfiber towel with a quality microfiber detergent and it will last years.
    • Microfiber All Purpose & Wheel Detailing Towel - Nobody likes having a collection of dirty towels, so use this high-quality towel for all the dirty jobs. It's safe enough for paintwork but strong enough to withstand the abuse of cleaning and drying wheels, exhaust tips, door jambs, etc.
    • Grit Guard Dual Bucket Washing System - This is the Rolls-Royce of wash bucket system. Two 5 gallon buckets, Gamma Seal lids, Grit Guard Inserts, durable dollys - it has it all. Choose the "Wash and Rinse" stickers to help keep things simple as you wash your vehicle.

What's in a Name? An In-Depth Look at the Cobra Guzzler Drying Towels

The Cobra Waffle Weave Guzzler features only the highest quality Korean microfiber that goes through a unique manufacturing process to ensure that it meets the quality standards of a Cobra towel. As part of this manufacturing process, the microfiber goes through a splitting machine to make what's called "ultra microfiber". Ultra microfiber is found in every Cobra Waffle Weave Guzzler drying towel because it's the softest, most plush type of microfiber available at any cost. No corners were cut in the design of the Waffle Weave Guzzler and that includes the borders, which are super soft so they won't scratch even the most delicate of painted finishes.

Quality is in the details, and the Cobra Waffle Weave Guzzler are no exception. Most towels feature a tag that's sewn on, but Cobra microfiber towels utilize a tag that's glued on so it can easily be removed. If you have a tag that's sewn on, you risk the chance of tearing the edge when you remove it.

You should always remove the tag before using your Cobra Waffle Weave Guzzler.

How To Perform a Rinseless Car Wash - The Basics

Some people are intimated by the thought of not using a hose and a soapy shampoo to wash their vehicle. Here are brief instructions on how to properly perform a rinseless car wash.

1. Add two gallons of water to a 5 gallon wash bucket and add one ounce of No Rinse Wash & Wax (this will be your wash bucket).
    2. Add three gallons of water to a 5 gallon wash bucket with a Grit Guard Insert in place (this will be your rinse bucket).
    3. Soak several thick, plush microfiber towels (Gold Plush Jr.) in the wash bucket.
    4. Working one panel at a time, fold a towel soaked in the solution four ways (or into a manageable size) and clean the panel. It is not necessary to scrub. Flip the towel often if the panel is heavily soiled.
    5. Place the towel in the rinse bucket, agitate it against the Grit Guard Insert, and wring it out before placing it back into the wash bucket.
    6. Using a high-quality drying towel (Guzzler Waffle Weave), gently dry the panel. Flip the towel to a dry side and give it a quick buff.
    7. Repeat for each panel.

It’s best to start washing at the top of the vehicle and work your way down. This way, you avoid cleaning the same panel twice due to product run-off. As your wash towel becomes heavily soiled, switch to a new one. If the vehicle is excessively dirty (think winter time), it’s best to spray the panel with a waterless wash first to help loosen any dirt.

How To: Perform a Rinseless Car Wash - Getting Started

For every two gallons of water you only need one ounce of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax. I typically use three gallons of water in my wash bucket which means 1.5 ounces of wash solution is the perfect amount; if you add more, you risk streaking and smearing. Savor every last drop of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax - you'll quickly become addicted to the slick, glossy finish that it imparts.

I typically use two gallons of water in my rinse bucket. The key to success with a rinseless car wash is to work clean. By having a dedicated rinse bucket equipped with a Grit Guard Insert (water falls below it and is trapped by the fins, preventing it from recirculating) you ensure no cross-contamination occurs with your wash solution, preventing the possibility of inducing swirls and scratches.

Thoroughly mix the solution in the wash bucket with your hand, a Grit Guard Insert or a microfiber towel. Ideally you want your wash towels to soak in the solution for a minute or two before proceeding to wash the vehicle.

Working one panel at a time, fold a towel soaked in the solution four ways (or into a manageable size) and clean the panel. It is not necessary to scrub. Flip the towel often if the panel is heavily soiled.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax cleans equally as well as No Rinse Wash & Shine, which is very good.

Note: My vehicle was not heavily soiled (come on, I work at Autogeek ) so doing a pre-soak was not necessary. If the vehicle is excessively dirty (think winter time), it’s best to spray the panel with a waterless wash first to help loosen any dirt. If the vehicle is in fact heavily soiled, plan on using half a dozen to a dozen microfiber towels. Since my Mazda wasn't too dirty, I only used three towels for the entire wash.

Using a high-quality drying towel (Guzzler Waffle Weave), gently dry the panel.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax is actually easier to dry than Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine thanks in part to the carnauba wax. The surface is left "less wet" (most technical term I can think of at the moment).

Flip the towel to a dry side and give it a quick buff (this is necessary because of the carnauba wax)

Dirt versus Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax

One of the most common questions regarding a rinseless car wash is "can they be used on heavily soiled vehicles?" The answer is yes; when used with caution, care and common sense.

Check out the Gold Plush Jr. after washing the trunk lid on my Mazda:

How To Perform a Rinseless Car Wash - Wheel Cleaning

This is a step that you can make as simple or as complicated as you wish; I go for the former every time. I've learned (from the best) that a medium-size Wheel Woolie with a Microfiber All Purpose & Wheel Detailing Towel wrapped around it is perfect for cleaning the wheel barrels.

Note: Wheel Cleaning is the last step in performing a rinseless car wash.

Simply soak the towel in the wash solution, wring it out and wrap it around the Wheel Woolie. If the wheels are heavily soiled, add an ounce or two of Optimum Power Clean to your wash solution.

Soak the towel in the wash solution, wring it out and clean the face of the wheel last. Dry it using a second, dry Microfiber All Purpose & Wheel Detailing Towel.

Note: You can dry the wheel barrel by taking the car for a spin or by wrapping a dry Microfiber All Purpose & Wheel Detailing Towel around the Wheel Woolie.

Gloss - Just What The Doctor Ordered

Dr. G said the gloss and slickness provided by Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax would surely impress me and boy was he right.

Without hesitation I give Dr. G's newest creation, er, work of art, two enthusiastic thumbs up. If you're a fan of rinseless car washes and are addicted to glossy paint (I think most of us are), pick up a gallon or two of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax and indulge in what I like to call the good stuff.

Available in 8 oz., 32 oz. and 128 oz sizes.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Up Close & Personal: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax

Hi Nick,

So you changed from the Accord to the 3? Haven't logged in for a long time.

Does this stain the wash media like the old ONR does?

Nice review.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Nick, great introduction for a great product! Thanks for putting this out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also interested in the staining question, but Nick, how/when do you see this product being used vs. ONR v.3? How does the gloss/slickness compare to ONR v.3?

Post Thanks / Like

Great writeup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm also interested in the staining question, but Nick, how/when do you see this product being used vs. ONR v.3? How does the gloss/slickness compare to ONR v.3?

Just to chime in, in my uses with new ONR w/wax the slickeness is much more than ONR v3. Having used both, there was a noticeable difference once the car was dried off and done.

Gloss is amped up too, assuming the carnauba is doing this! I didnt see any trim staining on my trim, or staining anywhere, even windows dried nice and clear. I didnt see any staining on my wash media either, I was my towels in Blackfire MF wash and they came out as good as new, I guess it depends on the towel you use, I used blue rolled edge from AG and CG Fluffers....

And great review Nick!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant wait to get my hands on the new ONR.

Post Thanks / Like

Your car?! I thought you drove a Honda Nick! btw nice review

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Nick, for yet another great:
    Product-review/write-up of yours!

And...I still like these Korean MF towels...Glad to see them showcased again.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    How To: Perform a Rinseless Car Wash - Getting Started

For every two gallons of water you only need one ounce of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax. I typically use three gallons of water in my wash bucket which means 1.5 ounces of wash solution is the perfect amount; if you add more, you risk streaking and smearing. Savor every last drop of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax - you'll quickly become addicted to the slick, glossy finish that it imparts.

Using a high-quality drying towel (Guzzler Waffle Weave), gently dry the panel.

Flip the towel to a dry side and give it a quick buff (this is necessary because of the carnauba wax)
    A couple of questions:

1.) Will ONR-W&W remove an existing wax...with the "Wax-Element" of ONR-W&W
    displacing/replacing said existing wax? If not totally, to what extent?

2.) Would the carnuba wax in ONR-W&W have any affect(s)...[such as streaking/smearing]...
    on vehicles' Wax-LSP's, according to the parameters in question #1?

3.) What LSP was on your vehicle prior to it being ONR-W&W'd?

Thanks...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Nick !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast