autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ice water after several coats of carnauba

Hi all. So I haven't seen this anywhere yet so I'm asking now.

Something that was taught to me many years ago by an automotive painter was that after applying several coats of a carnauba wax was to do a final buff using an ice water. The theory behind this was that the cold water would make the wax hard and while buffing it one would be taking off the "high spots" of the wax while smoothing it thus giving a very reflective final surface. I took this to heart and began to do this religiously on my black Acura Integra back in the day. As I remember the results were pretty impressive. I haven't tried this in a long time because I haven't had a black car since 2005 but have considered doing this once again to re-validate this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ice water after several coats of carnauba

Never heard anything like that....with today's waxes I really don't think it would do anything. As far as waxes when that painter was a young man I don't know. It is interesting...

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of that. I don't really know how effective that process would be with modern waxes/sealants.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

You ever done test spots to see if there was any difference? If not, it could be a placebo effect

Never seen the method posted here. I wonder how many car he done with this method. A lot of spray painters are not experienced with wax as not suitable to use after freshly painting

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard people say to spit shine a car you lay down a coat of wax then spray it with Ice water as you layer on additional coats. They claim that the ice water stops the solvents in the coat being applied from dissolving the coat of wax that's already on the car. A bit too OCD for me. I'll pass.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Never heard anything like that....with today's waxes I really don't think it would do anything. As far as waxes when that painter was a young man I don't know. It is interesting...
    Oh...this painter was about my age or just a bit younger...I'm 39 now so maybe somewhere around late twenties ish or so back then. I think that I learned this around 2000.

Just for reference I used this process at that time: clay...Meguiars deep crystal paint cleaner...#7 show car glaze...2-3 coats of gold class (original version)...then the ice water buff. Ice water was in a spray bottle and I would mist a fresh microfiber bonnet on my 10" craftsman buffer just enough so that you would leave a slight trail as you were buffing but the trail would be evaporating just shortly trailing the buffer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faulksy View Post
    You ever done test spots to see if there was any difference? If not, it could be a placebo effect
    Back then I did. That's why I continued to do this on that car. It didn't last very long but I didn't care...all I did is clean that car, I hardly ever drove it.

Mind you this was with only a carnauba wax.

The car that I did this with:
    1997 GS-R (the sad day that I sold it) - My Photos - Gallery - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Post Thanks / Like

You can get the same effect by doing a special detailing dance......... And sending me an Autogeek gift card!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35x View Post
    You can get the same effect by doing a special detailing dance......... And sending me an Autogeek gift card!
    ...on its way!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been detailing cars since the mid-80's (yes I'm old...), never heard of anything like this. But hey, what the heck? Let's break out the Turtle Wax and go for it!!
    My name is Ted and I'm a Auto Geek!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast