autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I'm a new candidate for "Horrendous"

I'm a little north of Montgomery, AL.

Brian Burnworth has already been suggested. I am interested in talking with him. He may be the only one nearby who has a thickness tester that will do my composite panels..

This is not the original paint. About 90% of the car was repainted last year after a collsion with an animal. I actually talked to the painter who painted the car today, and I can't remember the paint manufacturer the body shop uses. He did say that it was a 2 coat high solids clear.

He also showed concern about going any further, given the situation. He agreed that getting it tested would probably be a good idea.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
    He also showed concern about going any further, given the situation. He agreed that getting it tested would probably be a good idea.

Keep us updated, we always appreciate the follow-up...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I second this very sound advice.. Mike was the guy who I learned from in the beginning and am still learning from today!!
    Agreed. This man will NOT lead you astray. Mike is beyond knowledgeable and one of the go-to guys in the industry. I'm sorry what happened with that detailer :|. It's a shame that someone can let that leave their possession and feel okay with it. Being that it was repainted I think should work in your favor. It may also mean that the clear is not as hard as the OEM. Certainly keep us updated.
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you I would get a DA and fix it myself. Those holograms are easy to remove
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    If I were you I would get a DA and fix it myself. Those holograms are easy to remove

While I agree, I do meet people that simply don't want "car detailing" to be their new hobby... the key either way, (fix it yourself or hire a qualified person to do it for you), is to then take care of the finish afterwards via very carefully washing and drying and regular maintenance of whatever it is you end up using for an LSP

"Find something you like and use it often"

As for doing it yourself... I wrote this just the other day...

It's not that hard...

Note these people are not just "learning" on daily drivers aka new cars, they're learning on someone's "toys" or Special Interest Vehicles. More risk for me, more fun for them...

In the below live broadcast I show a 15 year old boy how to machine polish

Live Broadcast Video - 1965 Plymouth Valiant - Extreme Makeover

And in this one I show a 21 year old girl how to machine polish

Video & Pictures: 1965 Fastback Mustang - Gtechniq EXO Show Car Makeover!

Trista working with the rest of the team to machine polish this 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2

Trista removing swirls on a show car...

And in this one I show a 80 year old man and a young lady and here boyfriend how to machine polish for their first time...

Video and Pictures - Two 1967 Camaro's - Show Car Makeovers!

PLUS you have everyone on this forum to help you along the way...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great advice Mike, and everyone else.

It isn't that I don't want to learn to do it myself, It's just that I am stuck in a situation right now that is out of my control (at least for the time being).

I have a rotary buffer, a wool pad, a black waffle 3M pad, and some Presta cutting compounds. I actually have two compounds; one is an aggressive cutting and the other is cleaner glaze. I've done some work on some vehicles I've had in the past after wet sanding, but I am not comfortable doing anything to my car. Given the details of the situation I am in, I don't think it is a good idea either, considering someone else could be liable for the damage.

Somebody else on Corvetteforum recommended that if I were to try and fix this myself, I should pick up one of the kits which contains the 7424 orbital (I think that is the right number). He said it comes in a kit and is very easy to learn to use. I am very interested in doing this, but just not at the moment. I do realize that the days of running a rotary are still around, but that one of these smaller, more manageable oribitals would be easier and safer to use. I know I would like the smaller pad for sure, because the big 9 or 10" pad spinning is very hard to control from what I remember.

I was given my two options of what the company would do to fix this yesterday.

1. Take it back to their guy and let him keep trying. I do not like this idea at all, especially when I have had about four or five professional detailers tell me that is not a good idea.

2. Take it somewhere else, but then I have to sign a waiver stating that it is not the company's problem anymore. Since they will have no control over where I take it, they want my signature.

I do think this is fair, but it just kind of leaves me in a bad spot either way.

My main concern right now is getting my clear thickness checked before I make a decsion on what to do. I think this is smart, and I am in no hurry. Finding one of these testers that does composite panels has been a real problem, as not many detailers have them.

I talked to Bryan Burnworth yesterday, and he may be willing to check it. I'm just waiting on him to get back with me at a time that is good for him.

Mike Phillips

I was given my two options of what the company would do to fix this yesterday.

1. Take it back to their guy and let him keep trying. I do not like this idea at all, especially when I have had about four or five professional detailers tell me that is not a good idea.

Here's something I've been posting for over 10 years now and telling people before that because discussion forums weren't invented yet...

If the person couldn't do it right the first time what's changed that will enable them to do it right the second time?

Answer: Nothing.

Most of the time the person will do their best but it's not about intentions, it's the tools, pads, chemicals and training they're using and it's all wrong.

Avoid option 1. Tell the company to send the guy to my next boot camp class in January so they don't have problems.

2. Take it somewhere else, but then I have to sign a waiver stating that it is not the company's problem anymore. Since they will have no control over where I take it, they want my signature.

I do think this is fair, but it just kind of leaves me in a bad spot either way.
    Option 2 is the right direction and then with some help from our forum your car will get fixed the right way.

My main concern right now is getting my clear thickness checked before I make a decision on what to do. I think this is smart, and I am in no hurry. Finding one of these testers that does composite panels has been a real problem, as not many detailers have them.

I talked to Bryan Burnworth yesterday, and he may be willing to check it. I'm just waiting on him to get back with me at a time that is good for him.
    You have two choices,

1. Have the car re-detailed
    2. Have the car re-painted

This is another topic I rant and rave about and that is when a detailer does it wrong the first time he removes paint.

Doing it a second time will also remove some paint.

The owner of the car is the loser. Factory paint is thin to start with and that's why it's such a crime for untrained hack detailers to "touch" anyone else's car.

Whoever does the work needs to,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Regardless of how thick or thin the paint currently is. That is the only option as it relates to re-detailing the car.

This is called a "Horror-Story". Just another horror story on a detailing discussion forum.

I would e-mail the link to this thread to the owner of the company that did the damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I would appreciate the opportunity to talk with you over the phone about this. If you wouldn't mind speaking with me about this, please pm me a phone number and a good time to call.

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Mike, I would appreciate the opportunity to talk with you over the phone about this. If you wouldn't mind speaking with me about this, please pm me a phone number and a good time to call.

Thanks
    Check your PM's

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if Mike was offering this or not, but it seems to me you should take a couple days vacation and drive down to Autogeek and offer your car up for a class and have the crew fix it up for you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast