autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm a new candidate for "Horrendous"

I posted about this on Corvette Forum, and several people led me here. I figured you guys might want to see this, and offer some advice.

My car was involved in a situation where powder coat paint leaked from a building exhaust fan, landed on my car, and the sun baked it on. I know this sounds weird, but believe me, it happened. The building is a painting facility and has lots of loose powder on thie inside from the operation. Some of it managed to get out, and the wind carried it across a parking lot where my car was.

To get it off, the guy detailing it used a clay bar. It was stuck pretty good, so after dragging the clay bar all over the entire car, the clear looked like someone had taken scotchbrite to it. It was very bad. I'm not sure if he used any type of lubricant or remover to lubricate and facilitate the removal of the stuck on powder.

This first attempt was apparently hidden with the fillers of polish or glaze, because after it rained on the car a few times I started to see the scratches from the claying.

The job was then redone a second time. to fix the claying marks. The detailer came back and supposedly used a light compound to get the scratches out, then a swirl remover, with a rotary buffer.

At first, it looked like the guy did a decent job, but it still didn't look as good as it did before this all happened. I could still slightly see some of the clay bar scratches. Also, I thought I might have seen a slight hologram, but nothing bad. He then used a wax..so anything that the buffer did was probably hidden.

First of all, I don't know what he used as products. From looking at the stuff he had on the shelf, I assume it was either a PRO product or something from AutoMagic. Since he was putting the product into those little PRO detailing bottles, the ones that can be labeled with a marker, I have no idea what he was using.

Second, He did the whole entire job in about two hours..washing, drying, cutting, removing swirls, and waxing. No washing in between steps. Seems like a very rushed job to me, especially when trying to get the scratches out that were there. He also did not focus on one panel at a time; he simply went around the whole car repeatedly.

I did see the wax and have identified it. This is it:
    PRO Car Beauty Products: W-41 YELLOW WAX™ PASTE

Now, fast forward to a week after this second "detail"

I went out and checked it out. the car had been sitting in the driveway (I don't have a garage) for about four days. Even through the dust that had now settled on the car, the holograms were unbelievable. It lookes so bad I am embarrassed about it. I decided to wash the car with dishwashing liquid in an effort to possibly cut off this wax the detailer put on. I knew this would expose more of the problems.

What I found shocked me, and anybody else who has seen it.

Now, for my questions.

1.Obviously, this is going to take professional paint correction to fix. I have been on the phone with several detailers, and have gotten some very good advice. I understand the process well now, and am just trying to figure out what to do next.

This is a very delicate situation because of the circumstances around it. Feel free to reply to this thread with any concerns you may have or what it might take to fix it. However, as far as the rest of the story about what actually happened, please send me a pm.

At this point, before I take another step, I think it is smart to get the paint thickness tested. I am having trouble finding anyone local who has one of the ultrasonic testers for fiberglass panels.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I'm a new candidate for "Horrendous"

Sorry to see your situation. I hate seeing stories where these hack detailers rush through the job and say it's done.

It will take a some polishing to remove what has been done to the paint, but it can be done. I would post the detailer you are looking to go to on here and have the members here let you know what they think. The last thing you want is to go to another hack that will just put more damage into your paint.

I would definitely get the thickness checked as the previous detailer probably brought that thickness down quite a bit.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is a job .the paint may be fixed only if the clear coat is not gone due to the previous "detailer" .wash the claybar it then do a light polish or light compound be careful cause you can go through the clearcoat .you car is not the worst I have seen .

Post Thanks / Like

Realistically, the products that he was likely using (Chock full of fillers) and the fact that the job only took 2 hours suggests that he really didn't remove too much clear. These Corvettes have some really hard clear that takes a lot of compounding to level scratches out of. Sure you've lost some clear coat, but I seriously doubt that it is nearly gone. It generally takes about 2 hours just to level the clear on a Corvette hood let alone the whole car.

Sorry to see you have to go through this with the average detail hack. In one respect it upsets me to see this type of work as the industry standards. But it goes to show the difference between an average production detail and a custom paint correction. Threads like this should also reflect the cost difference between the two services. (or the service vs. the dis-service that you got.)

Production work is generally cheap and custom work "done by a detailer who knows his worth" is very expensive.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post

Second, He did the whole entire job in about two hours..washing, drying, cutting, removing swirls, and waxing. No washing in between steps. Seems like a very rushed job to me, especially when trying to get the scratches out that were there. He also did not focus on one panel at a time; he simply went around the whole car repeatedly.
    The fastest system to remove swirls and leave a decent looking finish on black FACTORY paint is the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System, see what I did using this system here,

2006 Mustang GT Convertible - Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

Mustangs are beautiful cars but not when the paint shimmers with swirls... the paint is supposed to shimmer with a swirl-free shine....

Here are the end results...

I did the above in about 6 hours not including washing and drying...

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post

Now, for my questions.

1.Obviously, this is going to take professional paint correction to fix. I have been on the phone with several detailers, and have gotten some very good advice. I understand the process well now, and am just trying to figure out what to do next.

My how-to book tells you how to fix this as do multiple articles and videos on our forum.

You have two choices,

1. Purchase a DA Polisher and learn to do it yourself

2. Hire a detailer that actually knows what they are doing

If you want to hire a guy, start a thread in the Off Topic forum like this guy did,

WANTED: Pro Detailer in Las Vegas

If you're new to detailing, here's my advice. If you don't want to make this your new hobby hire a qualified person to fix the damage AND take care of the car for you.

If you want to learn how to do it yourself then only tackle a single panel a weekend so you don't burn out.

Buffing out an entire car in one day is a LOT of work even for an experienced professional. Tackling just a single panel a day from start to finish, that is,

• The correction step
    • The polishing step
    • The waxing step

Will still take a Newbie about 4 hours from start to finish. I've helped a lot of Corvette owners buff out their own cars and when they are "older" I always recommend tackling the project panel at a time.

Let us know what you want to do, sorry to hear of your Horror-Story I can guarantee you you're not alone in your experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Memphis

That looks like a 2 hour detail. What part of Alabama are you in?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Here's another horror story...

Dealership Corvette with Holograms and Swirls

I could do this all day...

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend contacting Bryan Burnworth @ Peachstate Detailing in Atlanta, GA. He stays booked several weeks out but I guarantee you it will be worth the wait and the money spent.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The fastest system to remove swirls and leave a decent looking finish on black FACTORY paint is the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System, see what I did using this system here,

2006 Mustang GT Convertible - Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

Mustangs are beautiful cars but not when the paint shimmers with swirls... the paint is supposed to shimmer with a swirl-free shine....

Here are the end results...

I did the above in about 6 hours not including washing and drying...

My how-to book tells you how to fix this as do multiple articles and videos on our forum.

You have two choices,
    1. Purchase a DA Polisher and learn to do it yourself

2. Hire a detailer that actually knows what they are doing
    If you want to hire a guy, start a thread in the Off Topic forum like this guy did,

WANTED: Pro Detailer in Las Vegas

If you're new to detailing, here's my advice. If you don't want to make this your new hobby hire a qualified person to fix the damage AND take care of the car for you.

If you want to learn how to do it yourself then only tackle a single panel a weekend so you don't burn out.

Buffing out an entire car in one day is a LOT of work even for an experienced professional. Tackling just a single panel a day from start to finish, that is,

• The correction step
    • The polishing step
    • The waxing step

Will still take a Newbie about 4 hours from start to finish. I've helped a lot of Corvette owners buff out their own cars and when they are "older" I always recommend tackling the project panel at a time.

Let us know what you want to do, sorry to hear of your Horror-Story I can guarantee you you're not alone in your experience.

I second this very sound advice.. Mike was the guy who I learned from in the beginning and am still learning from today!!

Post Thanks / Like

I see Mike responded with very sound advice while I was typing.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast