autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Video: How to create a Whiplash Finish using Blackfire with Todd Helme & Mike Phillips

Video: How to create a Whiplash Finish using Blackfire with Todd Helme & Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips and Todd Helme take you step-by-step on how to create a show car finish that creates whiplash using Blackfire Car Care Products.

They start with a completely swirled-out black 2012 Camaro Convertible and end with a swirl-free flawless finish. The steps include using Blackfire Detailing Clay, Blackfire SRC Compound, Blackfire SRC Polish, Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax and much, much more from the Blackfire line of premium quality car care products.

https://youtu.be/-YIYfAS9vR4

Before Shots

This shot is just to frame up the below shot which I cropped out of this shot. The thing to remember is the entire finish, both horizontal panels and vertical panels were completely trashed with scratches.

This is the passenger side front corner of the hood...

Dull, hazy, filled with swirls and scratches and the clearcoat was no where near clear.

And this is off a BRAND NEW CAR?
    If you watched the Live Broadcast, you saw me clay most, not all but most of JUST the hood. Keep in mind this Camaro has only 2000 miles on it since purchased new. Look at all the brown crud that came off the hood using Blackfire Detailing Clay.

Where has this car been since rolling out of the assembly plant?
    Anyone want to guess what the brown stuff is?

And here's the beauty shots...

Blackfire Show Car Makeover
    On Autogeek.net

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash

BLACKFIRE Poly Clay Bar 200 grams

BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant

BLACKFIRE Clay Cleaner & Extender

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Compound

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax 7.4 oz

BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal Paint Sealant 8 oz

BLACKFIRE Interior Protectant

BLACKFIRE Total Eclipse Tire Gel

BLACKFIRE Garage Banner

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: How to create a Whiplash Finish using Blackfire with Todd Helme & Mike Phillips

Excited to watch this after viewing it live when the video was recorded.

Mike Phillips

Re: Video: How to create a Whiplash Finish using Blackfire with Todd Helme & Mike Phillips

I hope everyone will join with me in congratulating Todd for doing a great job on our first how-to video together...

Congratulations Todd!

Shout out to Yancy!

And of course, AWESOME Camera work and Editing work by Yancy who is extraordinarily talented in so many areas and especially video production.

Yancy does as good or better work all by himself than some of the actual real TV crews I've worked with...

Awesome work Yancy and thank you for always making everyone look like they actually know what they're doing including me...

Yancy running the boom camera during the Blackfire video shoot...

Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT job!! The pics are stunning!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    The brown stuff off the clay, is rail dust from being transported on a train. am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Mike Phillips

If you want to see where the footage for the above video came from, here's the behind the scenes videos...

This video is in two parts...

Part 1 - 2012 Camaro Behind The Scenes Video with Todd Helme and Mike Phillips

Part 2 - 2012 Camaro Behind The Scenes Video with Todd Helme and Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post

The brown stuff off the clay, is rail dust from being transported on a train. am I right?

Hard to say or know what the brown gunk might be? Too much of it to be rail dust it's more likely to be just accumulated airborne dirt that had embedded onto the finish.

Trying to explain just how bad the paint was on this brand new Camaro was with words and even pictures doesn't do it justice because it was baaaad.....

Here's a few screen shots from the video, the last one is from the Blooper Yancy added at the very end of the video... pretty funny Yancy...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Here's a few screen shots from the video, the last one is from the Blooper Yancy added at the very end of the video... pretty funny Yancy...
    Just keeping it real lol!

Yancy Martinez - MNKYHead Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Threads like this that incorporate both photos and videos do a lot in taking out some of the mystery in detailing. Understanding how to approach a situation, the do's & don'ts, and most importantly the correct method to achieve that spectacular finish is a blessing.

Detailing is as much an art as it is a science. Understanding the interaction between different pads and products and how they impact the finish builds that knowledge base that will last a lifetime..

Thank you Mike & Todd!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike or Todd,

I'm curious why no mention of BFWD cure time (I understand it to be anywhere from 8 to 12 hours) before BFMS application? I did jump over to youtube and watch the 2 1/2 hour vid so I jumped ahead often, maybe I missed the mention or do you feel this isn't necessary?

BK