autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which Pads for use with Griot's?

I recently purchased a 6" Griot's Garage after my Meguiar's DA failed. For my three step detail (Ultimate Compound--> Ultimate Polish--> NXT 2.0 Tech Wax), I used to use a yellow pad for compounding, and separate black pads for polishing and waxing.

Now that the Meguiar's pads are worn and the polisher is gone, I was wondering which pads would work best with my products and Griot's?

Apologies if this is a basic or redundant question, however, I've heard Lake Country's CCS orange for compounding, white for polish, but grey/blue/red for wax and am a bit confused. Any help would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Pads for use with Griot's?

Why not stick with Griot? Orange for polish and red for wax/sealant - that's it. I think that is all they use for everything at Griot's Garage, well, at least those are the only pads they sell for their 6" machine. I know they have a special glass pad (white) and one for shower stalls, tile and other applications (yellow) but I think orange and red are all that is needed with their machine on the car paint itself. I've not used my Griot polisher yet except for cleaning my hot tub and shower (yellow pad). I suppose their auto paint pads can be used for compounding too with more pressure or speed but I don't know that for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

My current favorite go to pads are the Lake Country Hydro Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 (low profile). Only three pads to chose from so nice and easy. I won't waste the bandwidth so do a search as you will find tons of info on these pads but you will find that the pads finish out nice and the 5 1/2" low profile cut better and are much easer to work with then a 6 1/2 pad. You going to need a different backing plate as the backing plate that is included with the Griot's is to large.

3 pack on sale:
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads

Lake Country 5" Backing plate on sale also:
    lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using the orange pads for polishing for a couple years now w/o a problem but then again the cars I usually work aren't destroyed either. I have used Optimum mf polishing/cutting pads w/ my GG 6" w/o a problem as far as correction but they have come apart on the sides so I think I'm sticking w/ foam from now on.

Just to pass along a little tip and its something covered already but I don't mind bringing it up here for sure, when using the GG 6" RO, don't use speed #6 or too much pro

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way the GG 6" handles better with a 5" backing plate. I suggest the Meguiars Mirror Glaze W67DA G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate

This enables you to use the Megs 5.5" Microfiber DA discs w/D300, Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Pads and the Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads

Post Thanks / Like
    I may convert my backing plates because IMO it should do an even better job due to a smaller cicumfrence, thus using more torque, right. Not only that but your working a smaller area with the slightly smaller diameter.

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I may convert my backing plates because IMO it should do an even better job due to a smaller circumference, thus using more torque, right. Not only that but your working a smaller area with the slightly smaller diameter.

The smaller diameter wont bog the machine down as much as a larger pad when you put some pressure on it and also a low profile pad will cut better. Once you try a 5 1/2" or a 5" on your DA you will never go back to a larger pad.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Griots orange and red pads 6" from my local Griots in Tacoma, WA. Nice too buy from but they don't like it when u return something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReflectiveAuto View Post
    I use Griots orange and red pads 6" from my local Griots in Tacoma, WA. Nice too buy from but they don't like it when u return something.
    Hello to you from sunny South Florida. I just had a vehicle detailed by Polished Image Detailing in Tacoma. They did a great job.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wondering the difference between the Griot's Orange and Red Waxing Pads?

Does anyone know?

Is the Orange Pad considered a CUTTING PAD, and the Red considered a FINISHING PAD?

Want to know because was informed that if you use an orbital polisher too often on a car surface, could wear down the clear coat? Is this true?

Also, wondering what should be concerned about when using an orbital polisher on car surface, like the corners, and wearing down crowns?

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast