autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Washer

Post Thanks / Like

Question Pressure Washer

I see the most common used way to wash a car is with a pressure washer, now here is the question is a pressure washer (PW) just that or is a special PW really needed, I can already assume having the right pressure setting is a must, which leads to my 2nd question what is the best pressure number? I dont wanna blow the paint off my car. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    You really don't need anything higher than 2000psi. I have your standard 1700psi electric pressure washer I use on every detail I do. Works great gets the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you really need 1700psi. Unless your working on some filthy cars, then it may come in handy. My psi washer is only 1450 psi and works great. Also, a lot depends on the tip or wand you use. A 1450 psi with a standard wand tip is fine. Put on a "dirt buster" tip or attachment, and the spray is so strong it will almost take your skin off if you put your hand in front of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure Washer

So it sounds to me going to Home Depot getting something half decent will do the trick long as I keep the pressure setting right.

Post Thanks / Like

The ones in my price range don't have adjustable pressure settings. You modulate the force applied to the surface (paint, deck, sidewalk, etc) by increasing or decreasing the distance between the wand tip and the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to your local professional pressure washing supply store (not home center) and get a fan tip, you will not hurt the paint under any pressure.
    Dirt-B-Gone Mobile Detailing
    www.HandWashAndWax.com
    facebook.com/DBGMobileDetailing John Wells

Post Thanks / Like

on the good ones you can set it at any pressure you like and change tips also. For my self I dont like the elc ones but I do lots of rvs and boats and need power a lot of the time .My honda runs and runs all day long if you get a gas one get a cat pump there the best pump out there easy to put new o rings in also ps get one that has a blow off on it .will let water pass by the pump and not blow the seals. lets you have it runing and not pull the triger to let pressure off the pump.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    The ones in my price range don't have adjustable pressure settings. You modulate the force applied to the surface (paint, deck, sidewalk, etc) by increasing or decreasing the distance between the wand tip and the surface.
    I lucked into a pressure washer with a Honda engine and a General Pump belt driven cast iron/brass pump for $150, this thing will blast the paint right off of a car if you either squeeze the wand trigger while the wand is pointed directly at the paint, or get the tips too close to the paint. Already been to the body shop out of pocket on this one.

The $400 out of pocket paint shop bill was a lesson in keeping the tip a certain distance from the paint that I won't forget any time soon. On gel coat this high pressure unit comes in handy. I can attach the 0 degree tip to the wand and from the ground, blast the bug splatter right off of the gel coat toppers on some of the buses that I clean on a regular basis. That 0 degree tip can strip the paint right off of certain restoration projects that I get involved in. Can surely be a liability but is super useful to have around the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there not a pressure regulator on your gas driven unit?
    On the pump or adjustable bypass?

Post Thanks / Like

Some have regulators. But here is the truth. I have a greenworks 1700 psi. Comes with the gas style quick disconnect wand and not the cheap AIO wands. I use a 25 degree tip on mine. That doesnt mean 1700 psi is coming out. In fact I can put my hand just 2 feet in front of it and it doesnt hurt. So you can even use a 3000psi pressure washer as long as you are at least 2-3 ft from the car. A pressure washer in the 1500-1700 range is recommend for power, without to much power. The only way your going to rip paint off is if you put on the 0 degree fitting which is a straight stream, and then put it point blank at the paint, or if you have a major chip and point it at that.

Otherwise the hype about being able to do damage is just people talking who dont own pressure washers.

The only reason I use a pressure washer is to get the dirt out of the seems and to really make sure that all the damage causing dirt is off the car before I touch it with a mitt. I also like to do a foam prewash that helps remove dirt and oils before actually washing the car with a mitt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast