autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Stock Backing Plate

My PC came with a black backing plate with the velcro. I have been watching all of the videos and seeing a yellow backing plate. Is there a difference in the two backing plates. I have been wondering if I need to upgrade my stock black backing plate and pick up one of the yellow ones.

Just curious.
    Thanks for any answers.
    Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stock Backing Plate

What size is the backing plate? 5 inch or 6 inch? Does it have the metal reinforced plate near the thread?
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie 70 View Post
    My PC came with a black backing plate with the velcro. I have been watching all of the videos and seeing a yellow backing plate. Is there a difference in the two backing plates. I have been wondering if I need to upgrade my stock black backing plate and pick up one of the yellow ones.

Just curious.
    Thanks for any answers.
    Eddie
    So You Have a PC/XP? Did it come in a kit? I didn't think the PC/XP's came with a backing plate? What size is it, 6" or 5"? If its a 5" it's good, if it's a 6" and you are using 6.5" pads you might want to think about a new 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads, you will be much happier!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of the PC7424XP kits last fall. It is a 5" and 5.5" pads. Works good and the black backing plate is somewhat flexible. It just looks like the yellow is more flexible. I have used it so far only on 3 cars and have had great results.
    Thanks for the replies so far, I could find nothing searching so I thought I would ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what you may have is a old type Meguires backing plate. That one is actually better quality than some of the yellow ones. The new meg one is yellow also.
    You are just fine with the black. You might get a silver paint pen and mark it so you cam monitor pad rotation.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!