autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to... detailing videos !!!

Why is always a clean car on those videos ? This is a how to clean a clean car video ? Just put a dirty car in there and show us how really the products works please.
    Wash day tomorrow? Nothing clean, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to... detailing videos !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Webb View Post
    Why is always a clean car on those videos ? This is a how to clean a clean car ? Just put a dirty car in there and show us how really the products works please.
    I agree

Post Thanks / Like

I never understood that either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey it's video, everything is scripted lol. Those "how to clean wheels " always get me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitiman View Post
    Hey it's video, everything is scripted lol. Those "how to clean wheels " always get me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yes, they always seem to be done with wheels that are only lightly dusty, like they were washed 3 days ago. It you want to show how well your wheel cleaner or wheel cleaning tool works, at least use a dirty wheel, as in one without wheel wax or sealant on it that has been driven for at LEAST 2 weeks, if not 3 or 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Really good point, but as a business, their main objective overwhelmingly isn't to educate as much as sell - which it should be. I see where you're coming from though, 101%!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Webb View Post
    Why is always a clean car on those videos ? This is a how to clean a clean car video ? Just put a dirty car in there and show us how really the products works please.

All the cars I've worked on in all the videos we've shot here have had swirls in them if the video is about removing swirls.

Here's an example usign a post I just made to page 2 of this thread,

Video: All about the FLEX-3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

I saw a thread recently where someone was complaining about videos using cars without swirls or problems? All the cars we use in our videos have shiny paint but they also have swirls you just have to be near the car in person to see them UNLESS the camera guy knows what he's doing and purposefully films the true condition of the paint.

The car we used for the Flex DVD was a AMG Mercedes-Benz and it was completely swirled-out. The video will show this and I also took pictures

Removing Swirls out of Ceramiclear Paint

Had a 2006 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG with some swirls in the Ceramiclear Finish.

Hey! Here's some shiny paint!

Hey! If you were in the studio with me standing over the "paint" with a swirl finder light here's how the shiny paint really looked...

Mike Phillips

Here's the Corvette I used with the video/DVD I made with Matt Steele,

Here's the DVD

Pinnacle Complete Car Care System Instructional How-to DVD

The Pinnacle Natural Brilliance How-To DVD has been updated with the latest techniques. Mike Phillips and special guest Matt Steele demonstrate how to use Pinnacle products to create a sizzling shine.

Here's a thread that shows how the above Corvette REALLY LOOKED! I know, I buffed it out...

1966 Corvette Stingray - Machine Polish & Machine Wax

Note I buffed this Corvette out AFTER we made the video so I wouldn't return the car back to the owner with only one section of paint fixed.

Before

After

Mike Phillips

I could do this all day, (post pictures showing the swirls in the paint in the cars we used for videos), but I'm not going to because I always have lots to do.

The point being, the primary focus of a video is to share technique.

Why?

Because most people watching a how-to video are trying to learn what to do when they go out into their garage.

Thus showing technique, the way you use the tool, could be done on paint in bad condition or good condition. It means more if you show the before and after results on paint in bad condition but technique "could" be shown on any condition of paint.

The first video I made is a full-length DVD showing how to buff out a car from start to finish on a swirled-out 1960 Corvette. It's completely filled with tips and techniques I use when I buff out a car. It was made in 2006 and it's still available from Richard Lin at ShowCarDetailing.com and other places on the Internet.

Note I don't make a dime on this DVD as I made it when I worked for Meguiar's without their permission and in order to keep my job I had to promise to stop making videos on my own time and turn the rights over to the DVD to Richard.

But to my knowledge, this DVD Richard and I made is the ONLY video ever made using the same car from beginning to end, that was in horrific condition and we put a show car finish on it and shared all the steps needed to do the job.

We've discussed shooting a similar DVD here at Autogeek but it is incredibly time intensive and to be honest, once you show how to use any polisher to one section, the rest of that step is just repeating that procedure to the rest of the car and most people won't watch it because it's repetitive.

If you want techniques, and not repetitiveness, here you go and even if the cars look "shiny" in the pictures or videos, the paint still had defects that can only be seen when purposefully filmed using a video camera. All the cars used in the below videos had paint in bad condition.

Video: Tips for using a Rotary Buffer and the Flex 3401 on vertical panels

Video: How to use the Cyclo Polisher to remove swirls

Video: How to buff tight areas plus concave and convex curved panels by machine

Video: How to remove shallow RIDS and how to machine apply both a paint sealant and a finishing wax

Video: How to tape-off car trim before machine polishing

Video: How to use the Cyclo Model 5-Pro Polisher to remove swirls

Show Car Garage Video: How-To do a "Section Pass" when Machine Polishing with a DA Polisher

Autogeek's Show Car Garage New Product Showcase - Optimum Hyper Compound

Video: How to do a Test Spot using the Flex 3401

Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Show Car Garage Video: Optimum Hyper Polish

Show Car Garage Video: How to use the Cyclo Polisher to remove swirls and scratches

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The point being, the primary focus of a video is to share technique.

Why?

Because most people watching a how-to video are trying to learn what to do when they go out into their garage.

Thus showing technique, the way you use the tool, could be done on paint in bad condition or good condition. It means more if you show the before and after results on paint in bad condition but technique "could" be shown on any condition of paint.

Xactly!
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast