autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Help with fine scratches on windshield

I own a 2011 Hyundai Equus with about 5000 miles on the odometer. In an attempt to remove a few water spots I used Glass Science Glass Scrub cream cleanser and a dish washing sponge that is a little abrasive on one side (typically used when cleaning teflon pans). I washed the front windshield, applied the compound and used the slightly abrasive side to attempt to remove the water spots. After rinsing and towel drying, I noticed very fine scratches throughout the windshield. These marks are noticeable primarily when driving directly into the sun, they are otherwise undetectable. I am, needlessly to say, very irritated with these glass marks. I would appreciate any advice as to how to remove these very fine shallow scratches without the risk of optical distortion using rotary polishers?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with fine scratches on windshield

Do you have a polisher at all? It will be very hard to remove scratches without a rotary polisher. But if they are extremely light you might be able to with a DA polisher and some patience. I would use CarPro Ceriglass Kit, glass polish, water spot remover with some of these Glass Polishing Pads, glass leveling discs, abraded discs, auto glass polish Next time you have any water spots you can use the hand applicators that come in the Ceriglass kit to remove them You won't really be able to remove any below surface defects by hand but it'll work wonders on water spots. Hope that helps!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

I made that same mistake on my old car.

I was removing shoe polish someone used to write on my windows. I couldnt figure out how to remove it, so I used one of those sponges with the abrasive green side. It took it off, but left scratches everywhere.
    Jacob

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your helpful response. I do not have a rotary polisher. My reluctance to purchasing one is the fear of optical distortion. I do believe the scratches are very fine and agree with you that a rotary polisher may be the solution. Given the outcome of certain past projects (mainly due to impatience), my wife won’t let me handle a rotary system on an expensive car. I will, however, take your advice and try the polish kit with the glass leveling discs. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011Equus View Post
    Thank you for your helpful response. I do not have a rotary polisher. My reluctance to purchasing one is the fear of optical distortion. I do believe the scratches are very fine and agree with you that a rotary polisher may be the solution. Given the outcome of certain past projects (mainly due to impatience), my wife won’t let me handle a rotary system on an expensive car. I will, however, take your advice and try the polish kit with the glass leveling discs. Thanks again.
    I believe the poster recommended the leveling discs if you had a DA polisher. I'm not sure how those would do by hand. Just wanted to make sure you understood.

Drew
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Drew,

Thank you for pointing that out. I did misread the previous post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011Equus View Post
    Drew,

Thank you for pointing that out. I did misread the previous post.
    No problem. I know Ceriglass has a kit do do it by hand but I'm not sure if it would get out your scratches or not. I used Ceriglass with a DA to remove waterspots on windows.

Drew
    ~Drew

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will purchase a polisher. Ideally, I would like a single system for both the glass and the paint. I am leaning towards a DA polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

A DA is great for beginners. Porter Cable, Griots, and Meguiars all make great DA polishers. Ceriglass is a polish that is specifically geared towards glass though. It has an ingredient that cuts glass. Most people have better luck on glass with rotaries but I think I heard that with enough patience you can correct glass with a DA. There are many different polishes for paint. I have used paint polishes on my glass to get off water spots as well (Not sure if a paint polish would take out scratches out of glass though, probably not). There is a lot of info around here so definitely read up before you purchase.
    ~Drew

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Drew. There goes the weekend. I will research some more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast