autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The master of holograms

Quote Originally Posted by PristinePro View Post

Anyone else here come across some soft clears? What make and model of car? So far I've had NSX, BMW's, 911 Turbo's and some after market paint jobs that have had some soft clears and I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.
    2003 SL500 BLACK

I just made a post about it Recommendations black Benz

Post Thanks / Like

Good lord. I always wondered how someone could not only put holograms in the paint like that...but, actually keep working and do it to the whole vehicle, ha.

I see cars come in all the time like that to my shop. It's amazing how many people have no clue.

I had a new customer bring me his Vette after doing his other two daily drivers. I immediately spotted holograms all over it. I called him, and asked if he was interested in an upgraded service to solve the problem. He was extremely impressed that I even noticed, ha. How could I not!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PristinePro View Post

Anyone else here come across some soft clears? What make and model of car? So far I've had NSX, BMW's, 911 Turbo's and some after market paint jobs that have had some soft clears and I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.
    Well this car wasn't soft clear because it is single stage paint but as soft as anything that I have worked on. 93 Mazda Miata paint correction, Megs VS. Mothers This was done hologram free using just a rotary. I have observed this car daily since I did this job last year and while the owner's washing technique has introduced a few swirls into the paint, there are still zero holograms in the paint. I know for sure that the AutoGlym HD that I applied that day is the last time it has seen any wax or sealant so any fillers that may have been present at the end of the job have been long gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TREMEK View Post
    2003 SL500 BLACK

I just made a post about it Recommendations black Benz
    Just checked out your post. Did you find your fix yet? Also a little confused. You say its a black SL500 but your pic shows a BMW M6.... Am I missing something or did you just put that pic as an example? I use menzerna pretty much for every job. I've always done great with working 106 in slowly. 1000-1400rpm and slow and steady arm movements. It takes a little bit to breakdown this polish so you can't just do some quick passes to fix your problem. I have not used 85rd yet but from what I understand it may be better for your situation since it has less cut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Well this car wasn't soft clear because it is single stage paint but as soft as anything that I have worked on. 93 Mazda Miata paint correction, Megs VS. Mothers This was done hologram free using just a rotary. I have observed this car daily since I did this job last year and while the owner's washing technique has introduced a few swirls into the paint, there are still zero holograms in the paint. I know for sure that the AutoGlym HD that I applied that day is the last time it has seen any wax or sealant so any fillers that may have been present at the end of the job have been long gone.
    I checked out your work. Looks like it came out great! Its nice to see the cars later down the road to see the long lasting results of a detail like that. Besides the end result after the detail I think thats the part I enjoy the most. Unfortunately we can't make the owners maintain it properly after all of that hard work. A fellow detailer gave me a few bottles of mothers to try since he gets his for free and I thought it works rather well. I have the heavy rubbing, rubbing, and foam finish. I haven't used it enough yet to know if I'll keep it around.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey man,

Check out this video:

BMW 318 Polishing 1 - YouTube

When I was starting out, I watched this video and practiced to polish exactly like this guy. It comes out perfect every time. Don't be scared about slowing down the arm speed. Practice on a lower speed first and you'll get it down in no time. I almost never use my 3401 anymore because I just don't see the need for it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234