autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What's your favorite rotary pad / plate combo?

Until last summer when I bought my first DA Polisher (the GG 6"), I have always used a big rotary polisher with 8" wool Schlegel or the newer 3M white or black 8" foam pads. However, after becoming familiar with the DA and LC pads here on Autogeek, I'm finding myself wanting to convert over to a similar system for my old rotary.

I would like to stay over 6.5" in diameter, as I don't see any need to have two buffers with the same size pads, so something in the 7-8" range would be best.

From the threads I scanned, it looks like maybe the Kompressor 7" pads with a LC 6" backing plate or Flex Foam backing plate might be best? The one time use LC pad system looks interesting, but the plate is pricey. Also heard good things about the Meguiar's backing plate. Or should I just stick with the 3M foam pads?

HRJ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's your favorite rotary pad / plate combo?

Bump!

(Can anybody break away from the "dude, what happened to my biodiesel thread" thread for a second and give me some advice?)

Post Thanks / Like

W68 backing plate is a good one if your looking to use a 7" pad

Meguiars Mirror Glaze W68 Rotary Backing Plate, hook and loop backing plate, Soft Buff Backing Plate

The Kompressor pads are a nice, but I tend to only use wool when using my rotary
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Trend: Flexible Backing Plates for Rotary Buffers

Flexible Backing Plates provide,
    • An extra level of cushion when using a rotary buffer which helps you when buffing on curved panel and over body lines.

• The flexible foam interface heps to distribute pressure more evenly over the face of the buffing pad.

• They can also make the buffing process less aggressive as compared to using a stiff backing plate which can help to reduce swirls.

Currently we have two flexible backing plates besides the flexible backing plate in the 1-Pad system, which is specific to the 1-Pad buffing pads.

1. The Flex-Foam Heavy Duty Rotary Backing Plate, which has a 5" Diameter
    2. The Meguiar's Easy-Buff Solo Backing Plate, which has a 6" Diameter

Below are some pictures to show the size of the backing plates relative to some popular buffing pads to help you get an idea of the fitment of the backing plate to the hook-n-loop interface on the back of the buffing pads.

Flex-Foam HD Rotary Backing Plate

Flex-Foam Backing Plate on a 5.5" CCS White Polishing Pad

Flex-Foam Backing Plate on a 5.5" Cyan Hydro-Tech Pad

Flex-Foam Backing Plate on a 5.5" Blue Finishing Flat Pad

Flex-Foam Backing Plate on a 5.5" on a Super Soft Gold Jewelling 6" Pad

Meguiar's W66 Solo Backing Plate

W66 Flexible Backing Plate on a 7.5" DuroWool 100% Twisted Wool Cutting Pad

W66 Flexible Backing Plate on a 7" Kompressor Orange Light Cutting Pad

W66 Backing Plate on a 6.5" CCS Red Ultrasoft Finishing Pad

Note in this picture and all the above pictures the extra backing and or foam that sticks out past the outer edge of the backing plate. You want this extra material as a safety margin to help prevent running the outer edge of the backing plate into any painted areas, or around trim or other components like side view mirrors, rear wing spoilers, etc.

Both of these flexible backing plates are excellent backing plates to have in your tool chest to go along with your rotary buffer.

All of the above backing plates and pads work great with all the rotary buffers on Autogeek.net

Rotary Buffers

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care for flexible backing plates. If thats what your looking for, Gloss It makes a nice one too
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Poorboy's World 5.5" variable contact foam pads for Flex VRG polisher. They are great rotary pads and they actually measure in at close to 7 inches in diameter. These pads are made exclusively for PB by Lake Country so the LC 6" plate fits them perfectly. These pads finish great with little to no holograms with the right technique.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...I just ordered the flex foam 6" plate, three 7" kompressors, and a couple 6.5" LC flats. Wish me luck!

HRJ

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodJoe View Post
    Thanks...I just ordered the flex foam 6" plate, three 7" kompressors, and a couple 6.5" LC flats. Wish me luck!

HRJ

Best of luck!

I think you're going to absolutely love the flexible backing plates, I know I do and I use them for students in all my classes and in any training situation.

Pictures & Comments from May 14th, 2011 Saturday Detailing 101

Larry loves the Flex PE14 with a 7.5" Wool Cutting Pad and a Solo Flexible Backing Plate

Frank in the two pictures below was actually very good with the rotary buffer, you could tell he's been using an RB for decade as he made it look so easy...

That's a Flexi-Foam 5" Backing Plate with a 5.5" Hydro-Tech Crimson Pad... I highly recommend flexible backing plates, especially if you're new to the rotary buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

There's little I can add to such a thorough explanation....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette