autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"New" tool in the battle against brake dust

New to me (for this use, anyway), and I've never seen it mentioned here or on the various car and detailing forums in which I participate.

I've tried multiple things to easily remove brake dust. I hate brake dust on my wheels, but love the initial bite of BMW OEM pads. So I've treated wheels (current best solution, leftover Klasse SG, diluted 1:10), tried various clothes, MF wheel cleaning brushes, etc etc etc.

Before the unveiling, let me clarify: I'm talking about getting rid of dry dust in between washings. This tip is geared more for personal use as opposed to detailing other folks cars. My wheels are in very good shape, and are well-maintained. But as anyone who's driven (or detailed) a BMW knows, it takes only a drive around the block before shiny wheels have that coating of brake dust.

With that in mind, I present...
    The Swiffer.

This little hand-held duster is all of $4.99 for the handle and 4 covers. Refill covers are even cheaper. The handle is light plastic, so it won't mar wheels. In my initial testing, I've found I can clean the dust off my wheels 4-5 times (all 4 wheels) using just one cover (flip the cover around so both ends are equally brake-dust embedded after the first couple cleanings).

They grab the dust, they don't just push it around like a dry MF does, and they don't turn it into nasty black sludge like can happen if you try to spray and clean. And the covers are disposable.

Haven't found a downside to using them yet....
    Andrew
    2007 BMW E93 335i Monaco Blue Metallic / Grey Dakota
    2009 Lexus RX-350 Obsidian Black / Ivory

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "New" tool in the battle against brake dust

Sounds like a good idea to use for cleaning BMW wheels inbetween full details. I am going to first wax my wheels with wheel wax and if I dont like it I might step it up to DP Poli Coat to go along with this nifty little idea. Thanks for the tip.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I use a swiffer to dust the inside of my truck. It works great. I never thought of trying one on the wheels....

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Opti Coat or Cquartz the wheels to keep the dust from clinging and embedding. I have opti coat on both my bimmers but you can get a sample size Cquartz here in the store. I'll pick up a swiffer this weekend as that should work well along with the coatings. Good find.

Post Thanks / Like

not sure how well they work but have heard baby wipes do the job too...
    2011 Jaguar XJ - Cashmere with Oyster/Pearl interior, Aleutian rims, Illuminated Tread Plates
    2004 Dodge SRT4 - Red with Black interior, Stage 1 turbo, lowered, blacked out rims

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewXJ View Post
    Wow if they work on brake dust no wonder a baby cries when you try and use them to clean up a mess.We need someone to chime in on how rough baby wipes actually are .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewXJ View Post
    I tried the baby wipes...they make a mess if there is much dust, since it gets damp from the stuff on the wipes, you end up smearing it around. Also not sure what that stuff on the wipe does to any LSP you have on the wheels.

The swiffer is working great along with my post-wash treatment of spraying diluted Klasse SG (1:10) on and wiping off.

I just came back from a trip to Atlanta, about 750 miles round trip. No rain on the trip, but it rained 2 days in a row here once I got back. Wheels had a fair amount of dust build-up on them. I hadn't tried the swiffer after dirty wheels had been wet and dried again....but it worked just like it did the other times.

The swiffer cover will turn dark black after about the second time, but it keeps trapping dust. Eventually, you can tell it's "saturated", it will leave little lines of dust instead of picking it up. Then it's time for a new cover (after reversing it to use both ends evenly, of course!).
    2007 BMW E93 335i Monaco Blue Metallic / Grey Dakota
    2009 Lexus RX-350 Obsidian Black / Ivory

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Wow if they work on brake dust no wonder a baby cries when you try and use them to clean up a mess.We need someone to chime in on how rough baby wipes actually are .
    They really don't bother my Roids when wiping! So I would say fairly gentle!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    They really don't bother my Roids when wiping! So I would say fairly gentle!
    I'm so glad you shared that special moment with all of us . I will have to remember that next time my boss starts in on me what to use to cool off .
    Lamborghini Broward

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast