autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Starting my Mobile Business But super scared

Ok i recently became a member of this amazing site! The more i read the more i bought and the more videos i watched made me know that this is for me. Iv always liked cleaning cars fixing the little scuffs and such that owners didn't bother to touch. After speaking with members and building a nice starting block of product I'm ready to start this, no wait time just start. BUT:

I do not know where to start. Things iv done so far:
    -Had a logo designed and made: Also in the process of copy-write
    -Sent out for business cards- Name, logo, services, and such
    -Facebook and twitter accounts
    -My name is Detail Medic type it in on Facebook i think my logo came out pretty nice
    -T-shirts made some extremely legit transfers using the logo with avery transfer sheets and black T's

I have been spending days on the computer watching videos, hearings horror stories of messing up cars. and so on. Id like some info on where to start what to do what i need tools (vacuums and such) and the rest that goes along with starting this venture. Id rather not take classes as i think i can learn by practice and I'm not to bad as of now just need some practice on the DA and paint restoration. Id like to stay with high end cars we all know its where the money is and id much rather rub a ferrari or Benz all day compared to a mini-van. Im located in central NJ in an area with many big homes and even bigger wallet's.

Any help would be great PS: let me know how the logo and Facebook looks
    Thanks
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting my Mobile Business But super scared

You are going to need to figure out exactly how much it costs you to detail a car for each of your packages. Have you put together packages yet? A website is a good idea also.

Do you live in an area that enforces water reclamation? Do you have a system in place for this?

Do you have a solid set of products that you will use, and be able to figure costs on?

Insurance? License?

As for my advise...

You are not going to want to be practicing your skills on high end cars. That is just going to end badly most likely. It may not be glamorous, but daily drivers are the bread and butter of most successful detailing businesses.

Post Thanks / Like

No no no, i would never per-say practice on a higher end car its just my goal of my main cliental. I am in the process of looking into insurance and a license as well and seeing what i really need or how much insurance is necessary. as for water reclamtion, what the heck is that.

As for packages no i have not yet mostly because I guess i doubt myself. before i tell someone a 200.00 price for a wash and wax including clay and such i always feel like because I am new as a name i will not make the sale. and as for how much product sadly i have never paid attention to make an average that i use. I can say i do blow through interior dressing as well as exterior a lot.

Website is also going to be 100% up soon my buddy has a BA for graphic design so getting sites and logo's was super easy

Post Thanks / Like

insurance,insurance,insurance.

and being licensed is 2 biggies for me.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

so you have no idea of how to detail or what products to use and your going to start a business?

your gonna need a TON of work before you become a business trust me i do this for a hobby im constantly cleaning cars but its not easy to get business

Post Thanks / Like

you obviously skipped my whole paragraph because no where did i say i don't know what products nor did i say i don't know how to detail? lol take a look at the pictures on my Facebook pretty sure i can make a car pop

Post Thanks / Like

oh lol i read it but i guess i took the part where you said i dont know where to start what tools to start this venture the wrong way lol my bad

good luck though

Post Thanks / Like

Could you post a link to your Facebook page? I tried searching for it and couldn't find it.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I'd start with finding some business parks and doing just clean ups on the work forces' daily drivers. tw33k2514 hit that right on the head! We have a guy that comes through and for $12 he washes, vacuumns and does the windows. Seems cheap plus you don't have to drive through a car wash going home. Where he makes the money is a wax job or "detail". Once you get a few places, try to make a route with other surrounding places. Remember, you're going mobile and that means GAS MONEY. Clean a car in point A then drive 45 minutes to clean car B = no profit. Sounds simple but people overlook the obvious all the time.

Good luck
    Last edited by rockinrandall; 01-19-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast