autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Best' way to remove (or cover) fine scratches in windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    IF you want to remove scratches out of glass you need a polish where the key abrasive is cerium oxide.

It's done best with a rotary buffer because you need the power of a direct drive tool as you're going to need to push down hard to engage the abrasives with the glass.

You're also going to need a glass polishing disc.

It's also very messy, see my article here for some info and tips... we'll be glass polishing one of our demo cars at our Detailing Boot Camp this Saturday morning.

How to remove tiny pinhole pits in glass windows using a rotary buffer

Mike,

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to watch....... I'm starting to put together an AutoGeek order, but there is a lot to learn before I buy the machines and other stuff.

Dave

-
    Ack, I guess I'm finally getting 'old'. I bought a Vette with an auto trans and I like it way better than a stick shift, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowejackson View Post
    If you have a machine the Ceriglass is very good for minor scratches, I suspect by hand it would take a staggering amount of time unless you have arms like Popeye
    good point. By hand Ceriglass took off decades old waterspots but for the scratches I used the DA with an orange pad. The scratches were super fine ones that only showed when the sun would hit the windshield so I didn't have to use much pressure

Post Thanks / Like

CeriGlass will work great. I did a small review on it, but CEE DOG (Corey's) review is much better.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Why not call Safelite Auto Glass and ask them what a replacement would cost? Tell them it is not insurance but cash and it's generally less.

My insurance company told me that through them Safelite charged $450 for a 2004 Accord windshield but my deductible was $500. I called the local Safelite office and got it done in an hour, in my driveway, same glass, for less than $200. Can't hurt to call them and see.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Why not call Safelite Auto Glass and ask them what a replacement would cost? Tell them it is not insurance but cash and it's generally less.

My insurance company told me that through them Safelite charged $450 for a 2004 Accord windshield but my deductible was $500. I called the local Safelite office and got it done in an hour, in my driveway, same glass, for less than $200. Can't hurt to call them and see.

Yeah, I could probably get a new windshield for ~$400. But I really like OEM stuff. Plus, there's a chance that the new glass might actually be softer (faster wear). Or it might leak, which then means I have to go back to have it fixed. Or the guy might do a messy job. Or there might be a little extra wind noise (just happened to a buddy of mine who had his OEM Lexus windshield replaced).

So, there's just too many potential issues with a new windshield. Plus, I like the challenge of fixing the OEM. If I screw up the OEM windshield, then no big deal, I just go get a new one installed.

Thanks
    Ack, I guess I'm finally getting 'old'. I bought a Vette with an auto trans and I like it way better than a stick shift, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Try to fix before calling safelite. I have a horror story about them well it was for me anyway, a couple years ago i got stuck in the snow while on my way out to the woods to go hunting and had to get pulled out so my uncle ends up throwing a rock through my back window so i had safelite come out and replace i waited recommended time before washing i finally washed and what do you know it leaked so i called had them come back out to fix and still leaked and truck beginning to smell from all the moisture, again called and the manager asked me to bring it in so i took time off work and took it to him and come to find out the guy had sealed the window to my headliner. The manager removed the window and reinstalled perfect so I was happy. Last year what do you know I was out cutting wood and threw a piece of wood in the truck and it bounced up and hit the window so i called and requested the manager install my new window they set up an appointment with him and I drop the truck off this time because I know its in good hands and guess who installed the window, the same guy that messed it up and what do you know he did it again. After the window leaked AGAIN I called some higher ups and asked why the same guy who messed up so badly the first time installed my window when the appointment was made for manager and well the manager was on vacation and they didnt want to loose a customer because I had to wait. well i have a nice amount of audio equipment all tucked under the rear seat so I would rather wait then take a chance with this same guy. Well manager calls me when he gets home from vacation and wants me to bring it back and there was no way I was gonna take another day off so I explained this is not my fault so come to me so he did on his own time which was very cool but never again will i give them another chance they in no way tried to make it right or do anything. now the manager gave me his personal number so next time call him and he will do it but the company lost the customer they were trying to keep. Thats my horror story about safelite sorry so long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12