autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Foam Gun Advantages?

I bought one from Griot's for personal use. Don't really know what they do. Is it to save trips to a bucket, save water, economize on soap, for better cleaning action on the paint?

Why do folks use the guns?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is both safer and more effective. Basically it will loosen up contaminants that may cause marring when washing. It is a tool I would hate to be without. Not to mention... It looks awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam Gun Advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by tw33k2514 View Post
    It is both safer and more effective. Basically it will loosen up contaminants that may cause marring when washing. It is a tool I would hate to be without. Not to mention... It looks awesome.
    I agree. When I get vehicles on the heavy side with dirt and grime...it's great to foam it up, then pressure wash. Then you can refoam and do your wash.

I have the foam cannon...don't know if what you bought is the same thing. Either way, I like how you can blast soap into crevices, wheel wells, hard to reach places. Sometimes I'll foam, then grab my boars hair brushes get areas like the gas chamber, all the crevices, grilles, emblems, etc.

You'll learn to love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bravozulu View Post
    I bought one from Griot's for personal use. Don't really know what they do. Is it to save trips to a bucket, save water, economize on soap, for better cleaning action on the paint? Why do folks use the guns?
    I'm not sure why you would buy the product without answering these questions beforehand. But anyway...

I have been using foam guns for probably 6 years? I'm not convinced that they actually have any function other than to make you think you are being kinder to your paint, but I haven't stopped using mine, either.

If I had it to do over again, I think I might just stick with a pressure washer as a first step, and then just use the 2BM. Whatever loosening the foaming does doesn't approach what a pressure washer will do for removing dirt from the surface prior to touching it with your wash media.

Post Thanks / Like

using the foam gun as only a pre-soak is a waste and it's not utilizing it to it's fullest potential. when you spray a panel and follow right behind with your wash media, you're always gonna have contact with soap solution and it will help flush away dirt as you wipe as well. here's a good example...

How to Detailing Video - Foam Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    using the foam gun as only a pre-soak is a waste and it's not utilizing it to it's fullest potential. when you spray a panel and follow right behind with your wash media, you're always gonna have contact with soap solution and it will help flush away dirt as you wipe as well. here's a good example...

How to Detailing Video - Foam Gun
    I have only seen people foam a car as pre-soak or soak-before-you-wash, but I have never seen people doing "soak-as-you-wash"!
    great tips!
    Exotic Auto Detail trade review / feedback:
    Think twice if you're going to trade with ExoticAutoDetai.

Post Thanks / Like

Only a marketing genius could convince car nuts that a gardening tool is the perfect thing for washing a car. Foam only provides a layer of something between your paint and your wash media. It doesnt lift the dirt any better than ONR or even a waterless wash. It wastes soap, increasinges wash time, makes a mess, and is just one more step to do. You can accomplish the same thing by releasing soap from your wash media prior to wiping or better yet.. Hit it with a hp washer
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO they are great if you don't have a pressure washer. They buy you a bit of margin if there is a lot of dirt on the car. However a pressure washer with just regular water (no soap) will knock off all the dirt with ease. The only thing left will be the grimy film, and that needs agitation with a mitt to remove.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Even to you guys who aren't sold on Foam Guns. The video link was especially helpful. I now see that the object is to avoid dragging grit and grime back and forth over the paint while washing. So, a delicate technique is needed.

Just that alone is a real lesson. And I understand how the products work --- microfiber, taping, polishing. You guys are serious about your work. Hats off to you.

from rainy Santa Monica.

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Only a marketing genius could convince car nuts that a gardening tool is the perfect thing for washing a car. Foam only provides a layer of something between your paint and your wash media. It doesnt lift the dirt any better than ONR or even a waterless wash. It wastes soap, increasinges wash time, makes a mess, and is just one more step to do. You can accomplish the same thing by releasing soap from your wash media prior to wiping or better yet.. Hit it with a hp washer
    Well said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast