autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Spot Free Rinse Additives-

So I have been detailing this guys cars all year long and he just tells me yesterday he used to own his own mobile wash. He used to do like UPS trucks. He said he used a hot water pressure washer which just melted any dirt and grim of in a heart beat and he said he used a spot free rinse additive that left the trucks looking great-no drying. I asked if he remembered what it was called but he couldn't recall.

I started looking around and came up with this. Spot free rinse additive that reduces drying time Now I've heard that some of the chemicals leave a film but I know for myself some don't.

Anyone have any experience with a spot free additive- Not looking for the CR spot free or filters.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spot Free Rinse Additives-

Sounds like a great way to remove your LSP
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no such thing as an additive that will give you SPOT free if you dont dry..the only way to achive that is to be using water with 0TDS or atleast with lower then 10..Only way your going to get that is by using Distilled, Buying a RO unit, or one of the spotless units at Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

As the description says in your link, it increases the sheeting action so more water runs off...like the rinse aid stuff you buy for your dishwasher or the stuff in the Mr. Clean AutoDry thing...it's a polymer that helps the water to sheet off. Just bear in mind that this guy was washing UPS trucks...with mostly vertical surfaces and who really cared how good they looked when they were done? Also, most car washes include this type of rinse agent, which is why some tend to kill your beading temporarily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    As the description says in your link, it increases the sheeting action so more water runs off...like the rinse aid stuff you buy for your dishwasher or the stuff in the Mr. Clean AutoDry thing...it's a polymer that helps the water to sheet off. Just bear in mind that this guy was washing UPS trucks...with mostly vertical surfaces and who really cared how good they looked when they were done? Also, most car washes include this type of rinse agent, which is why some tend to kill your beading temporarily.
    While traveling I ran my car through a touchless wash that claimed spot free. It did kill the beading on my OC finish until the next wash.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    While traveling I ran my car through a touchless wash that claimed spot free. It did kill the beading on my OC finish until the next wash.
    I was referring to the car wash soaps that WE use. IIRC polymers are added to car wash for multiple reasons--here's a quote from the Meg's Gold Class description here on Autogeek: "The secret blend of conditioners nourish the surface and acts to lubricate the washing area, preventing the abrading effects caused by friction. The sleek, smooth surface literally sheets off water – a Meguiar’s technology caveat – causing the vehicle to actually dry faster and clearer!"

Of course, I always found GC to be one of the streakier washes if it started to dry on the car before you got to rinse it thoroughly--presumably because of the high polymer content.

Post Thanks / Like

I have incredibly hard water where i live. I have heard of people sheeting the water off with the hose, then before drying spraying the wet car down with a light mist of detail spray.

Does anyone do this? And does it help with water spots? Black car + crazy hard water = evil.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kinalyx View Post
    I have incredibly hard water where i live. I have heard of people sheeting the water off with the hose, then before drying spraying the wet car down with a light mist of detail spray.

Does anyone do this? And does it help with water spots? Black car + crazy hard water = evil.
    There's a number of products meant to aid drying and prevent spotting--DG AquaWax, EO Wax-As-You-Dry (WAUD), OCW can be used when drying, or this: Dodo Juice Time To Dry Drying Detailer,Drying Detailer, dodo juice detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Although I've never tried adding this to my car wash...I know it does prevent water spotting on just about anything else I've tried it on....WD-40 (its paint safe as well because I use it to remove tar, asphalt, road stripe paint, even bugs....it's main ingredient is fish oil.

Check out their web site some time...its right up there with duct tape in terms of uses.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    There's a number of products meant to aid drying and prevent spotting--DG AquaWax, EO Wax-As-You-Dry (WAUD), OCW can be used when drying, or this: Dodo Juice Time To Dry Drying Detailer,Drying Detailer, dodo juice detailer
    Oh sure, this sounds interesting. Now I have to this to my cart too!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast