autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax

i tend to apply with a DA on pair with a red foam pad.
    a little goes a looooooong way

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased #845 earlier this spring and just got around to using it for the first time as an LSP on my son's '07 dd. Followed Nick's tutorial and it couldn't have gone smoother. Used a PC 7424 XP with a LC 5.5 blue flat pad. Thin, thin, thin was the key. This bottle will last me a long time!

David

Post Thanks / Like

I also just used this for the first time this past weekend. Put it on with my HF DA and used a blue LC 5.5 pad. Very impressed with the ease of use and how my wifes Cherokee turned out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I've taken so much from AGO these past few weeks, I suppose it's time to give back.

Used Collie #845 a couple of weeks ago....

TEMP: 75 degrees/60% Humidity
    Application: Hand, Foam
    Garage

1 week prior: 2 Bucket Wash/Clayed/Paint Corrected.
    Used UQD to wipe light dust prior to application.

Plopped Collie in an Ice Bucket filled with warm/hot water for 10-15 min then shook the bejeezus out of her...then shook it some more. Transferred about 3 ounces, per Nicks recs, to a Meg's self cleaning bottle. Closed the parent bottle tightly and I'll see her in another 3 years LOL.

Special Note: I'm degreed in Biochemistry and Direct Sunlight reacts havoc with some Bio-molecules. Am I saying not to put the bottle in Direct Sunlight to heat it up....Nope; but why even play around when warm water does the trick.

Was Paranoid with the wax from reviewing thousands of post on various forums (you guys know what I mean ) so I called Collie Customer Service, The 3 Biggies:

1. Properly Prepared Paint
    2. Thin Thin Thin
    3. Quality Microfiber for removal <--- He Stressed this. He also advised after your done removing, to go ahead and go over it again slowly/deliberately with a New MF.

Eagle Edgeless MF is by far the best, just MHO.

Watched a U tube video where a Professional Detailer was going on and on about 845 and preached THIN. Then proceeded to apply it Peanut butter style with a Microfiber Applicator, LOL.
    What does "THIN" actually mean for cryin out loud?

So go ahead and put it on thin.

Had the Collie by my side and just spritzed the applicator with distilled water and put 3 pea sized drops on the Applicator. Did a quick serpent on half the hood and spread it out "Thin". I only needed two pea sized drops for each section on the rest of the car.
    After the hood and 1/4 panel, I did the finger test but she smeared. Waited for 20 minutes and she looked liked it hazed but it still smeared....so "Got It". Did the rest of the car, then finger tested the hood...still smeared. Let her sit in the garage for another 90 min or so then....she WIPED RIGHT OFF, No Problems. Total roughly 2 hours.
    She looked pretty good....I wasn't prepared for the Eye Popper when I check her in the Morning.......WOW!!! Is all I can say. Oh and she wiped off of everything (Trim ect)

So I said 1 scoop was pretty good; hmmm, how bout 2 scoops? Remebered them saying 12-18 hour cure time then layer; so away I went. This time "Primed" the Applicator with a little Collie the squeezed it all the way through and used 2 pea sized drops for each section.
    I'm retired military (old soldier) and remember quite vividly "SPIT SHINING" my boots thousands of times; Procedure: IPA Strip, Polish, Wax.....sound familiar? The KEY ingredient....ICE WATER!!! So feeling pretty cocky @ this point, threw that spray bottle of distilled water into the freezer Took it out a little early cause I didn't want a Brick and while I removed the wax spritzed that Ice Water on her. She shined up like a New Penny but I knew to prepare myself for the next morning...I could hardly sleep lol. Well, you see her in the pics above and they don't do her justice let me tell ya. The neighbors were doing the "Double Take"...one that was driving by nearly crashed (No Joke).

I know "SHINE" comes from Polishing...@ least 95-98% and wax/sealants protect...who you gonna leave that last 2-5% too?
    Grab some Collie with Confidence and don't look back.
    From the shell and feel of my car, she may be able to withstand a limited engagement Thermo-Nuclear War.

Update: she got a quick downpour on her before I hit the garage yesterday...and the water that didn't bead in tiny droplets literally JUMPED off the car!!

Hope it helps
    "The first gulp from the glass of natural science will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you." --Werner Heisenberg (Pioneer of Quantum Mechanics, Nobel laureate Physics)

Post Thanks / Like

Got to use this great product last weekend on my wifes DD. Can't wait to put some on my new Outback soon!

Used a 5.5" red hex pad on my HF DA, and applied the 845 to the pad using a childrens Tylenol syringe. Probably used 12-15 milliliters the first coat and 8 the second. It really does go on THIN!

Looks great after a week of rain and thunderstorms and being driven daily. Water beads like crazy, dirt and most bugs have washed away in the rain, and the paint is still slick!

Sorry for the iPhone pics, I'll bust out the big camera soon

Post Thanks / Like

Man, this post makes me want to go home and put more 845 on my car! Great post very well written and entertaining to read!

I'll definitely be reading more of your posts!

Post Thanks / Like

About to drink the "collinite" juice! Before jumping in---does this stain black trim?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be moving in a month and will have to store my stuff in a storage unit. This stuff should be fine right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I'm going to be moving in a month and will have to store my stuff in a storage unit. This stuff should be fine right?
    I stored mine in an unheated/uncooled garage for around 5 years and when I got it back out, as soon as I warmed up the wax to application temperature, it was good to go. I wouldn't recommend this practice, I just forgot about it while I was in the "Flavor of The Month Club."

A little note about applying thin ... about 4 pea sized drops will do the entire hood or roof or two side panels (with the PC). It goes on SO thin that I have to watch very closely where I move the buffer, at some angles, it's the only way to tell if I've applied wax in that area, by visually seeing the buffer pass over every square inch, sometime going over a single panel more than once. Because of this I always apply two coats, to make sure I've covered everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I use this on black trim as well or do I need to tape off the trim?

Tom

Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast