autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Toyota dealer paint protection

anyone have info on what a Toyota dealer uses for it's used vehicle paint protection that the customer purchases? I found something called auto armor with 60 month warranty? what is this stuff really , just a sealant ? and how can they offer a warranty that long for paint protection ? being that I have a vehicle to detail with this product on it , I'll need to remove whatever it is .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota dealer paint protection

Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    anyone have info on what a Toyota dealer uses for it's used vehicle paint protection that the customer purchases? I found something called auto armor with 60 month warranty? what is this stuff really , just a sealant ? and how can they offer a warranty that long for paint protection ? being that I have a vehicle to detail with this product on it , I'll need to remove whatever it is .
    Hey Chad,

While I don't have any information on it I suspect Toyota has grossly overstated it's durability. I'm thinking this coating would have to be similar to Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0. To remove these coatings I would think a full polishing will remove it nicely.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe I just stop on in there and ask them what is really applied. if they even will tell me that info ? if it's something similar to 2.0 then I don't really want to remove it yet , only been on about 6 months. this is my mothers vehicle. it has some tar on sides I was unable to get off with normal wash and then just some light scratches around door handles from fingernails. I'll get the tar off but just wondering if I need something strong that it will remove the Toyota dealer paint protection ? then I might as well polish the whole suv. maybe I'll just one step it with poli-seal then . I was originally planning to opti-seal or even opti-coat it. hmmm .

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Chad.

Stop by and ask them what they've applied and get a brochure explaining what it is and how to take care of it. If they've applied some coating I'd let it ride for a while and wash it regularly.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Usually those products '60 month warranty' paperwork says it needs to be reapplied every year, at the same cost - usually hundreds of dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

On my '11 Avy I told the dealer I didn't want this 'protection'. They didn't apply it but instead gave me a white plastic bottle of Toyota's Sealant/Cleaner Vehicle Shield Protector, which I assume is what they would've used. A few months ago I looked for it on their website & found not a word about it. Haven't used it on my car but some comments I've read say it's just an ordinary sealant with some cleaner, durability is nothing to rave about. I may use it on my wheels but haven't done so yet; haven't even used it on our 6 yr old Sienna van.

Post Thanks / Like

At a dealer I worked at we applied a protection called Simoniz Glass Coat. It costs $700 and has a 7 yr warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Having worked in a few dealerships in my time, I can tell you that each dealership sells a different product. In most cases, the warranty the product offers is what you are buying. Some products offer rock chip coverage, while some will offer environmental fallout coverage. The dealership I used to work at sold Xylon(sp?) The total package was sold for about $600. The salesmen I worked with told customers it took about 4 hours to apply, in all reality it took 30 minutes tops once the vehicle was washed.
    Like others have stated before, I would look into what the dealer sold you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    What is it called?

A fool and his money are soon parted sealant.

There's a sucker born every minute sealant.

Gotcha sealant!

I'm sorry, but you voided your warranty but not bringing the car back in time sealant.

One of my son's friends worked in new car prep at a high volume Ford dealership 5 years ago They used about 3 to 4 ounces of "product" they called "Finish Guard" for each car and charged $700 for it. They had the audacity to add it to the MSRP on what was called "Add a tag - protecting the consumer"
    They also did a lot of "pinstriping".. $20 for a roll of striping tape, they charged between $300 and $400 for it!
    2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD 2006 Ford Mustang GT 2009 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

Auto Armor. I had it many years ago on a BMW I bought in 1984. I never saw the intitial application, but it came with a bottle of "wax" that had the look/feel of Meguire's cleaner wax. It worked about the same too. I didn't keep the car long enough to know about longevity (mistake) but it worked well enough for my tastes back then. Now, not so much...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast