autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

[Solved] G110v2 Power Cord Problem

My G110v2 had problems for quite a while, where the power went on & off intermittently. The carbon brush was just fine. I only used my D/A for two full/med correction within 1.5 yrs period and waxing on bi-weekly or monthly basis. My temporary solution was to wiggle the cord a bit or turn it into a specific angle to get the power back on. Until two weeks ago it went completely dead and nothing worked. Finally found out that the inner cable was broken in two places (near power plug & bottom of the machine near the speed dial), which explains the intermittent on/off and need to wiggle it to power it up.

Desperate for a fix, i contacted Meguiars for original cord replacement, none exists, neither in the US or through my local distributor. Considering my machine is already passed its warranty plus shipping it for replacement (if possible) would cost $$$. Next option: Porter Cable power cord replacement, which cost +/-$13, S&H gonna cost another $15- ? But i don't know whether it'll fit properly. So in my last act of desperation, I tried to be a smart*ss and dismantled the back of the D/A, running the risk of damaging whatever left of my D/A.

So went to local hardware store, bought a 5m (16ft) 2x.75mm cables (probably this is equivalent as 16 or 18 awg) cost about $1.7; a cable terminal/lug/skun? to connect it into the on/off switch inside the machine $.05 each; and $.90 for power plug. Changing the old cable was quite easy, 15min in all. So total cost came down to $2.7 and now i have a longer cable which makes it easier to move around.

Will try to post pictures later on, but i can't help commenting that the original cables is made in China (just noticed) and rather a poorly build one if i might add. I can't imagine how that cord could withstand a professional daily use? I use mine rather carefully, tried not to bend the cable whenever i could, still it broke..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Solved] G110v2 Power Cord Problem

I just ordered the mf kit and my cord is bent and taped in the position where the machine will turn on as the thing left me stranded (again) in the middle of a job the last time I used it. I'll be going to Home Depot or Lowe's this evening to grab a piece of industrial cord and plug end.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's kinda annoying having the machine stop in the middle of a job. Plus i don't feel quite safe having the machine on/off like that, might wear off its parts, and being half the world away doesn't really help in after sales service. Finding the cable was easy, but finding the cable terminal (female plug) in small size was quite a challenge here, need to go through automotive spare parts store to get them.

something like:
    http://www.arcadespareparts.com/prod...inal/13248.jpg
    Wholesale female flake auto cable terminal - Product Picture from Yueqing Tianhong Terminal Co., Ltd.
    http://2.imimg.com/data2/RA/MS/IMFCP...ls-250x250.jpg (middle top row)

it need to fit into 16/18 awg cable, try open the back end of the machine and you'll know what i mean.

Post Thanks / Like

My friends PC was the same exact way for a long time. I think he just fixed the portion that was broken by the outlet end

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was broken in two places, repaired the outlet end then the other one acted up. Need a good excuse for a longer power cord anyway, enough to cover bumper to bumper without dragging the extension cord

Post Thanks / Like

A great ending to a very common story. I'm glad it's all fixed and better than new now!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothelle View Post
    Desperate for a fix, i contacted Meguiars for original cord replacement, none exists, neither in the US or through my local distributor. Considering my machine is already passed its warranty plus shipping it for replacement (if possible) would cost $$$.
    I am surprised that Meg's does not stock parts in the USA for parts that had a history of needing replacement. I guess they do not want to be the repair business. They should at least be able to recommend places that repair polishers, etc.

An enterprising person could probably service these and make a little money.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Mine had this problem in the past couple weeks and I sent it back under warranty. Unfortunately this is the kind of quality that's typical of Chinese made goods. The next polisher I purchase will be determined by where it was built more than anything else (Flex or Cyclo).

Post Thanks / Like

1. Tools needed

2. Fixing the plug-end, i changed mine with compatible plug for my country, find whichever plug is suitable with yours

3. Open the bottom end of your D/A polisher with a + screwdriver

4. When opened, you'll see something like this

5. Release the speed dial module to have better access to the on/off switch module (where you need to plug in the other end of your power cable)

6. Splice open your cable and find two smaller cables, fit each one of them into the female cable terminal/plug/skun? (please someone find the correct word for this thing.....). Fit the cable tightly into that and cover it with cable protector. Replace the original cable (black & white in color if i remember correctly). Remember where each of the cable goes within that on/off switch terminal. Don't want to connect them into a wrong spot.

7. When all is fixed, place all the modules, cables into their original place, put the end cover of the D/A back with a screwdriver

8. Done

Sorry for poor pics and there's no before pics taken, had the old cables thrown away already...... Please do this with extreme care, or even let the electrician do it or better yet if Meguiars' warranty still cover yours, contact them for a solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice how to !
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast