autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: wd40 for wax removal

This works like a champ for removing melted crayons. Somehow 4 crayons of different colors got left behind my sons car seat years ago and totally melted into the fabric. I got everything out of light blue fabric using only WD40 with no staining. Following these instructions from the Crayola website.

How to remove Crayons (Regular) from durable cloth car interiors:

Cleaning Materials
    Sponge
    Paper towels
    Dull knife or metal spoon
    WD-40® (car part lubricant)
    Small stiff bristle brush
    Amodex® ink & stain remover (optional)
    Liquid dish soap

Stain Removal Tips
    Scrape excess crayon off with a dull-edge knife or metal spoon. Spray with WD-40 and let stand a few minutes. With a small, stiff bristle brush work crayon stain and wipe with paper towels. Respray with WD-40 and apply liquid dish detergent on the sprayed area; work in with the brush and wipe stain away with a damp sponge. If stain remains, repeat the procedure. For another method, use any brand upholstery cleaner as directed on the container.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Z. View Post
    ...it works great for stripping grease and oil off car parts and in the same way it will dry even more, already dry paint....
    True. Stoddard solvent is a solvent and probably would not be all that great for paint. However, WD40 also contains lubricating oils so unless you intend to leave your car soaking in it overnight I don't see that it will do any harm.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use it to clean my rc car bearings, and all their plastic parts. It brings the shine to almost new condition.

Post Thanks / Like

This may suprise some of you, and it may not, but it is also used in Jr Drag Racing. It is used to treat the tread of the slicks to soften them and makes them hook harder without doing a burnout.
    I have a couple cans around and use it frequently but never would have thought about using it a tire treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

One more use - WD40 is some of the best starting fluid you'll ever find. So if your snowblower is balky, hit it with some WD40 down the spark plug hole. Guarantee if you got spark it'll start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Yea, and I won't be temped to eat it!!!

i gotta say..as far as chemicals go..WD40 smells good enough to eat..lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    This may suprise some of you, and it may not, but it is also used in Jr Drag Racing. It is used to treat the tread of the slicks to soften them and makes them hook harder without doing a burnout.
    I have a couple cans around and use it frequently but never would have thought about using it a tire treatment.

interesting thought it would have the opposite effect

but I still don't think I'll be trying it on my car...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    True. Stoddard solvent is a solvent and probably would not be all that great for paint. However, WD40 also contains lubricating oils so unless you intend to leave your car soaking in it overnight I don't see that it will do any harm.
    There's a guy on the Edge forum recommending to spray WD 40 to remove bugs as well as coating the paint with it before a trip to help them wash away easier. wonder what the solvent is doing to his paint???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    There's a guy on the Edge forum recommending to spray WD 40 to remove bugs as well as coating the paint with it before a trip to help them wash away easier. wonder what the solvent is doing to his paint???
    Probably not a darn thing. Cars are made to resist petroleum products since, well, they run on it. The solvent portion will flash rather quickly leaving just the low wt oils so it might actually work. I wouldn't do it but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123