autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat detailing?

Post Thanks / Like

Boat detailing?

A buddy of mine wants me to detail his boat. I have never done a boat before. As far as polishing, would I go about it just like polishing car paint? Can I buy any OTC marine specific protection products? Any tips?

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat detailing?

Turn and RUN

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    A buddy of mine wants me to detail his boat. I have never done a boat before. As far as polishing, would I go about it just like polishing paint? Can I buy any OTC marine specific protection products? Any tips?

Find out how big it is?
    Does he want inside or outside detailed or both?
    If he wants outside, what is the condition of the finish?
    If they want the inside detailed, what condition is it in?

Best thing to do is to go look at it first hand and find out what he wants and what his expectations are and then decide if this is the type of detailing project you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Boats can really turn into nightmare work. As Mike said, look it over very closely. If you decide to take on the job, buddy or not, hold your price. Much of the time marine specialty products are not needed.

Tons of moldy upholstery or a fishing rig covered with dried fish blood? Might be none of the above but DO look it over.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Mike said go take a look at it, bring your rotary or flex and do a test spot with a cleaner wax and see how the finish looks. If it's bad 105 or pg will work but marine specific compounds tend to cut faster if he's looking to get the finish back to perfect, personally I wouldn't wax it if the finish is in bad shape, it won't last long at all on a heavily oxidized surface and your buddy will be upset thinking you ripped him off. It will temporarily make the surface look ok but will be gone quick if the oxidation is still on the surface.
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

I've done one boat inside and out and it was a nightmare. I would do a boat again, but only the outside, and only out of water. The inde of boats just have so many nooks and crranies you could spend days cleaning them. The outside is just like doing a giant vehicle, which is fine with me, but the interior/engine is just a nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like

wool pad if its bad then wet sand it frist with 1000 grit .then go to west marine and get some 800 grit buffing compund can get it in small can for 25.00 also get some pro polish when your there also. 20.00 I charge 20.00 a foot for boats under 30 ft inside and out .15.00 ft for out side only

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, my friend John (perfections) is dead right as far as his info. He is experiencing a few things he had not planned on w/boats and has figured alot of things out as well. maybe you can contact him via forum or email and I am sure he can save you a few hard lessons learned. He does great work on boats..but it is very time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by master detailer View Post
    wool pad if its bad then wet sand it frist with 1000 grit .then go to west marine and get some 800 grit buffing compund can get it in small can for 25.00 also get some pro polish when your there also. 20.00 I charge 20.00 a foot for boats under 30 ft inside and out .15.00 ft for out side only
    That seems really low, but again I don't have a ton of experience with boats. I know on the one I did I charged $30/ ft for buffing and $20/ft if he just wanted it washed and waxed. Several other people contacted me at that price, but I turned them down since the first one was such a nightmare.

Mike Phillips

Good point Roger,

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer325! View Post
    Mark, my friend John (perfections) is dead right as far as his info. He is experiencing a few things he had not planned on w/boats and has figured alot of things out as well. maybe you can contact him via forum or email and I am sure he can save you a few hard lessons learned. He does great work on boats..but it is very time consuming.
    Here's one of Jon's stories in the below thread starting with post #6

Test Spot - The story behind the story...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast