autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

PC7424XP - Waxing

What is the consensus on waxing with a DA? I've heard most everyone say they don't apply any pressure when applying wax with their machine on speed 3 or 4. When I do this, using only the weight of the polisher, the pad does not spin smoothly on the surface of the paint and doesn't really apply the wax evenly. I end up putting about 5-10lbs of pressure on the polisher and I feel it works very well. I know, I know, "do what works best for you." I'm just curious if anyone else has this issue, or if there might be something wrong with my polisher or my technique. I'm sure the pad is flat on the surface, if that helps.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC7424XP - Waxing

This is exactly the reason I prefer using my Flex 3401 for applying wax. I think you would have to put some pressure when using a PC to keep the pad rotating.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

i usually allow the weight of the DA to wax the paint w/a blue pad. no issues w/me spinning the pad at speed 3.5
    irfan
    laughing is the cure for all!
    jeepgarage.org

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why you're having a problem. I apply wax with a blue pad, speed 3 - 4 and no pressure - just the weight of the machine. You do have to pay a bit of attention to keeping the pad level to the surface at that speed, but I have no probs keeping the pad spinning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Not sure why you're having a problem. I apply wax with a blue pad, speed 3 - 4 and no pressure - just the weight of the machine. You do have to pay a bit of attention to keeping the pad level to the surface at that speed, but I have no probs keeping the pad spinning.

Also you can apply the wax in this method fairly quickly as you are only spreading the wax across the surface. I love applying wax with a D/A as it is very fast and leaves a very thin and even coat on the entire surface.
    Buddy

Mike Phillips

Pad rotation isn't vitaly important when applying a finishing wax. It is if you're doing correction work with a one-step cleaner/wax but not if you're just applying a wax or sealant to a finish already in excellent condition.

I use a soft wax pad on put any of the DA Polishers on the 4.0 to 5.0 speed setting. I find the 3.0 to underpowered and foam pads feel squishy like they're dragging behind the polisher as I move it over the paint.

Also, unlike defect removal steps you can tackle as large an area as you can reach or you have enough product to maintain a wet-film on the surface s you're making passes.

A forum friend shared this technique to check how much product is still on the pad and that was to touch the pad down on one of the windows as this will indicate how much product is on the face of the pad. (Make sure the windows are clean of course).

You want to apply a thin coating but should always see a wet film of product behind your path-of-travel...

Wet film behind your path-of-travel

Post Thanks / Like

When applying a wax or sealant with a DA, the pad doesn't have to necessarily rotate. As long as it is oscillating and spreading the wax or sealant, you good!

Mike beat me to it.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

i use the 5 speed on my PC when applying wax with a red pad. very slight pressure. i get a nice even thin layer of wax applied to the paint. anything slower than 5 speed doesnt work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Pad rotation isn't vitaly important when applying a finishing wax. It is if you're doing correction work with a one-step cleaner/wax but not if you're just applying a wax or sealant to a finish already in excellent condition.
    Agree Mike. But ya gotta admit the wax does spread faster and more evenly if you keep the pad rotating.

Which pad are you using for your "wax pad"? I'm using the blue 5.5" LC flat pads. Is there a better choice in your opinion? I will try bumping the speed like you do. It is a bit tedious doing it at 3 - 4.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's just it. I was applying Natty's Red Paste Wax to my wife's car this weekend on speed 4 with an LC flat grey pad, and with no pressure added, the machine just wanted to shake and bounce around. With that technique, the wax just seemed to blotch itself onto the paint at best. I had to put a little bit of pressure on the machine to keep it from shaking and the wet film looked just like what Mike posted, where it's clear the pad was spinning a little bit. I'll try speed 5 this weekend when I wax my car. Thanks, guys!

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast