autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Cleaning Cast Aluminum Suggestions ????

If anyone knows of any good products to clean cast aluminum I would appreciated hearing about it. After 22 years my 1985 Corvette looks almost new. One exception is some of the cast aluminum parts on the engine especially the value covers. I have tried a number of products on it but nothing has restored them to their original condition. The cast aluminum is textured and no aluminum polish I have tried so far has worked very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary: try a kerosene based degreaser like Gunk. I've not had good results with citrus based products on cast aluminum.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like
    have them removed and cc'd, or chromed.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    My neighbours probably think im a nuts, doing this 12 at night in my driveway, but what do you not do for a fellow detailer

I read your post, and rememberd that in one of my orders i got the P21s polishing soap, I ment that it could be used on Aluminum, and it said that it could on the can/box. Looking around to find something to test it on and outside i found, dont laugh, my old wheelbarrow.

Started to rub the P21s PS on the back. And this cleans well! dont know if you can use it on you cast aluminum parts, but it made my wheelbarrow shine. (do think its Aluminum)

http://www.autogeek.net/p153.html

Look:

Even gets water repellent.
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Truls, I want to award you with 5 gold stars for going far beyond your duty to a fellow detailer. I hope your neighbors did not call the police on you. Nice aluminum wheelbarrow, your going to have the shiniest wheelbarrow in Norway. Thanks so much for your efforts. It looks like it is worth a try. Including the order I placed today I already placed 2 AG orders since Friday and now there's something else to order.

Killr, I like the chrome look on older hot rods but I would prefer to keep the original aluminum look on my vette. I always appreciate your input.

Toto, thanks for your suggestion I will also give it a try. With all you experience I appreciate your input. How's your new bimmer?
    Last edited by Gary Sword; 01-16-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sword
    Truls, I want to award you with 5 gold stars for going far beyond your duty to a fellow detailer. I hope your neighbors did not call the police on you. Nice aluminum wheelbarrow, your going to have the shiniest wheelbarrow in Norway. Thanks so much for your efforts. It looks like it is worth a try. Including the order I placed today I already placed 2 AG orders since Friday and now there's something else to order.

Killr, I like the chrome look on older hot rods but I would prefer to keep the original aluminum look on my vette. I always appreciate your input.

Toto, thanks for your suggestion I will also give it a try. With all you experience I appreciate your input. How's your new bimmer?
    You could always have them glass beaded and then have a clear coat added. This will preserve the look you want and keep the shine down but will be much easier to clean.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    Truls .... you can polish my Iforged Wheels anytime ... you are the man !!!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Killr, your IForged wheels are real similar to set of Black 3-Piece Zone wheels I have for my Lambo. They are a lot of fun to clean.

GearHead, I have never seen aluminum parts glass beaded before. What is that process about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sword
    GearHead, I have never seen aluminum parts glass beaded before. What is that process about?
    Machine shops use it to clean all kinds of metal parts. It's just media blasting in a blast cabinet and the media of choice is glass beads. It works extremely well on aluminum that has something less than a full polish on it. It leaves more of a satin finish. The downside is that when it's used on engine parts, particularly internal parts it takes a while to get it cleaned out of blocks and heads. It leaves a fine dust that can cause engine damage if not removed. I've done this dozens of times for intake manifolds, aluminum heads, alternators that I've finish polished etc. It's very effective at making an old part look new again. Of course you can then polish it as needed to get the finish you desire. It's not expensive and doesn't take long to do. You can buy a satin clear coat paint from manufacturers like Krylon that will leave the satin finish I think you are looking for and it won't oxidize. I've also used this process on a fairly hard to find set of original Shelby valve covers (60's vintage) that had a black krinkle finish with bare aluminum colored fins, they turned out like new. You can buy several colors of krinkle paint also.
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 01-17-2007 at 08:01 PM.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    He He. Sure i will killr, Ill clean`em 4 free. But frankly those wheels dont look like they need any polish. looks very good on the car.

And that wheel cleaner from P21s worked great on my BBS wheels, have you tryed the gel?
    EVOIX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast