autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I accidentally scrubbed off my tire's sidewall

I had applied black onyx to my fairly new not even two month old Continental DWS tires but this brownish crud kept showing through, so I first washed them with car soap, and then Megs APC and a scuff pad, but they still weren't clean. So I got some Mothers tire and wheel cleaner, a stiff plastic brush, and scrubbed them down. They came nice and clean but when I was done and applied the dressing again I could see that the smooth surface of the rubber was now rougher and wouldn't take a shine. Then I saw where I missed a couple small areas that still have the smooth finish on them and realized what happened.

I didn't even know this was possible with just a plastic bristled brush.

I don't suppose there's any way to fix this so I guess this should be a warning to others. Watch out what kind of brush you use. This was not an actual tire brush made for sidewalls.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I accidentally scrubbed off my tire's sidewall

Tire sidewalls are designed to be very strong to handle both speed and lateral loads as you steer. I'm not certain what's happened and a photo or two would be of help.

If your tires are that new I'd take them back and have the installer take a look at them. Scrubbing a sidewall to clean it should not have any affect whatsoever unless you're using a wire brush but not a plastic scrub brush...

I use a standard over the counter stiff brush to wash all of mine and have been doing so without incident for 40 years....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post
    I had applied black onyx to my fairly new not even two month old Continental DWS tires but this brownish crud kept showing through, so I first washed them with car soap, and then Megs APC and a scuff pad, but they still weren't clean. So I got some Mothers tire and wheel cleaner, a stiff plastic brush, and scrubbed them down. They came nice and clean but when I was done and applied the dressing again I could see that the smooth surface of the rubber was now rougher and wouldn't take a shine. Then I saw where I missed a couple small areas that still have the smooth finish on them and realized what happened.

I didn't even know this was possible with just a plastic bristled brush.

I don't suppose there's any way to fix this so I guess this should be a warning to others. Watch out what kind of brush you use. This was not an actual tire brush made for sidewalls.

In this case, a picture would be worth a thousand words
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bobby. The brown stuff is called blooming. Amazing Roll Off takes care of it without too much effort. There is a tire coating called Tuff Stuff that will probably resolve your issue.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same Continental DWS. Heres a pic of them 10 mins after install ..

I wash my wheels with Megs APC, Daytona speed master, and mothers wheel/tire brush. I haven't had any browning issues. My choice tire gel is DP Gloss Tire Gel and I also use Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

To start, what gel or spray are you using? Sprays should almost rinse off and definitely should come off with a light scrubbing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    I agree with Bobby. The brown stuff is called blooming. Amazing Roll Off takes care of it without too much effort. There is a tire coating called Tuff Stuff that will probably resolve your issue.
    What I think he is saying is that he scratched the living crap out of the tire with the brush he used.

Don't think a plastic brush wont hurt the rubber on a sidewall because it can and will.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say the scuff pad is to blame. Thats an awfully aggressive tool for cleaning tires IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    What I think he is saying is that he scratched the living crap out of the tire with the brush he used.

Don't think a plastic brush wont hurt the rubber on a sidewall because it can and will.

BINGO! He says he used a SCRATCH PAD first with apc then he used Mothers with a PLASTIC BRUSH,and then they came clean, Then the tire dressing he used made it look like they were scratched.

To the OP what did you use for a dressing?

And some Pics will help you get this corrected.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    And some Pics will help you get this corrected.
    I don't see how any pictures will get it corrected, he damaged the rubber to the point of not being repairable.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I would ever use a scuff pad on my tires, no matter how dirty. Tough lesson learned I guess....
    My name is Ted and I'm a Auto Geek!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast