autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So I want to detail the outside of my dad's boat for fathers day, how the heck to I do that?

Is there a write up somewhere. Only cavieat is I want to use what I have and buy nothing new. Was thinking Megs 105 or 205 and Collinite or some other sealant. Its a 19 foot lund bass boat and have no idea if it has a gel coat. Or maybe I should just hit it up with a white pad and some Klasse AIO which would be a safer bet and pretty good for LSP base.
    Swirl Free Since 2003!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So I want to detail the outside of my dad's boat for fathers day, how the heck to I do that?

Do you have a picture? This will help tremendously because if its oxidized, the process will be different and much more painful then if it is not.

If its not an aluminum boat, it is gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So I want to detail the outside of my dad's boat for fathers day, how the heck to I do that?

any pics? oxidization? if not i would just hit it with all in one and give it a nice wax/sealant.
    irfan
    laughing is the cure for all!
    jeepgarage.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Fuller View Post
    Do you have a picture? This will help tremendously because if its oxidized, the process will be different and much more painful then if it is not.

If its not an aluminum boat, it is gelcoat.
    No oxidation, its not alum, its a greet and tan paint.
    Swirl Free Since 2003!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dreamps View Post
    any pics? oxidization? if not i would just hit it with all in one and give it a nice wax/sealant.
    I would think the water would eat the wax right up
    Swirl Free Since 2003!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Longhorn- View Post
    I would think the water would eat the wax right up
    Nope. Duragloss #501 Marine/RV Polish or Collinite #476 or Collinite Boat Wax. I'm still waiting for Duragloss Marine Compound to appear in the "What's New" section at AG.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by -Longhorn- View Post
    Is there a write up somewhere. Only cavieat is I want to use what I have and buy nothing new. Was thinking Megs 105 or 205 and Collinite or some other sealant. Its a 19 foot lund bass boat and have no idea if it has a gel coat. Or maybe I should just hit it up with a white pad and some Klasse AIO which would be a safer bet and pretty good for LSP base.

Wash
    Compound
    Polish
    Seal

If there's oxidation you'll want to clean your pads often as they will cake-up with dead, oxidized gel-coat.

As a "general" rule of thumb, you can use automotive compounds and polishes on gel-coats but you don't want to use Marine grade compounds and polishes on automotive finishes as Marine grade products tend to be more aggressive than automotive products and can damage thin, scratch-sensitive clear coat finishes very quickly.

On the other side of the coin, automotive compounds usually won't be aggressive enough to tackle extreme oxidation quickly and efficiently.

Here's a thread with pictures of my boat and in the thread just for fun I used 4-5 different brands to buff out different sections of the boat. When I bought this boat it was pretty much white with oxidation.

Lots of pictures... --> 1967 Starline Deville - Extreme Makeover

The entire boat looked like the triangular section on the rear, right section you see in this picture.

Before

After

After everything inside and out was cut and polished...

Sad to say that the front bow has oxidized again. I'll have it in the Studio this Saturday to remove the oxidation and restore the gloss.

Keep in mind this hull is 44 years old...

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Mike! That boat is beautiful . Have you by chance used Collinite Boat Wax or Duragloss #501 Marine/RV Polish on a boat? Just curious how they hold up to the elements and if they slow oxidation.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post

Have you by chance used Collinite Boat Wax or Duragloss #501 Marine/RV Polish on a boat?

Just curious how they hold up to the elements and if they slow oxidation.
    I was thinking about using a coating... maybe the Opti-Coat 2

Post Thanks / Like

do you take it in fresh water or salt water?
    irfan
    laughing is the cure for all!
    jeepgarage.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast