autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing! Help with choosing products

Hey everytbody, I'm new to detailing my vehicles and need some help choosing some pads, backing plate and chemicals for my PC 7424. I'm not looking to do this professionaly or anything, just for my car and truck and maybe some family and friends. What would you suggest as a hook and loop backing plate? Buffing pads? And chemicals for Polishing and Waxing? Thanks!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing! Help with choosing products

Welcome, I'm fairly new here as well. The first thing that I learned here was that these types of questions will get a different answer from each person.

My best advice is to search for threads where people worked on cars similar to yours. (Same, make, model, color) And then see what worked well for them. Put that same info in this thread and people might be able to give you some pointers.

Post Thanks / Like

Note that the AG DA's all come with a backplate, mostly 6" for 6.5" pads. If you're set on the PCXP most will suggest a 5" backplate and pads to fit. Choose your favorite from what AG sells.

Andringa is right about searching around. Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...llips-2-a.html

If your cars are in good condition, you can probably do fine with the right side of my favorite reference chart:
    Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart

Have fun looking around and good luck.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

I was new to this several months ago. Based on many recommends here I chose the PC with 5.5" flat Lake Country pads - orange, white, grey and blue. I bought 2 assorted six packs but you really don't need that many if you use Mike P's on-the-fly cleaning technique: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html. You really only need one 6 pack - 2 orange, 2 white, 1 grey, 1 blue. That should last the home hobbyist quite some time.

For polishing I chose the Wolfgang "Twins" again based on may comments on how easy they are to use: Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze. Got them on Buy One Get One (BOGO). The comments are correct, these are VERY EASY to use. Almost equally mentioned as very easy to use are the Menzerna polishes and the Pinnacle XMT.

I picked Menzerna Powerlock for a sealant based on comments and went with Collinite 845 and Pinnacle Sourveran Liquid for waxes. Both are very nice. When those run out, I'd like to try Collinite 945 - repotedly lasts even longer than 845 and has a deeper look.

If you decide you only want a wax as a last step instead of both a sealant and a wax, I would give very serious consideration to the Meguiar's Microfiber System for both pads and polishes: Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System, paint polishing system, car polish, car detailing system, compounding system, remove scratches. Many note that this system is very easy to use and produces fantastic results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you decide you only want a wax as a last step instead of both a sealant and a wax, I would give very serious consideration to the Meguiar's Microfiber System for both pads and polishes: Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System, paint polishing system, car polish, car detailing system, compounding system, remove scratches. Many note that this system is very easy to use and produces fantastic results.[/QUOTE]

In fact megs new correction compound does a great job having in mind it's a da and time saving system... It's so easy to work with even the wife could do it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenpilot View Post
    I'm not looking to do this professionaly or anything, just for my car and truck and maybe some family and friends.
    Yeah we've all said that in the beginning. That's how it starts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenpilot View Post
    Hey everytbody, I'm new to detailing my vehicles and need some help choosing some pads, backing plate and chemicals for my PC 7424. I'm not looking to do this professionaly or anything, just for my car and truck and maybe some family and friends. What would you suggest as a hook and loop backing plate? Buffing pads? And chemicals for Polishing and Waxing? Thanks!!
    As a newbie myself who has already spent a lot of money on this and become very addicted I would advise you to be patient and do your homework. There is so much to read on here but don't get overwhelmed, take it slow and make notes as you go. Here are some great threads to get you started:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...llips-2-a.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Ask the Expert featuring Mike Phillips - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!