autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Winter Salt From Carpet

Hi All -

I'm new to the site and will do a proper intro soon...

My daily driver is a 1997 Lexus ES300 and here in MN the Winters are tough. I'm having a difficult time removing the hardened Winter salt stains from my carpet. I don't have a steam cleaner. What do recommend?

Thanks much!
    My name is Ted and I'm a Auto Geek!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure a more seasoned pro will chime in but I used a bissel little green clean machine . I sprayed area with h20/folex agitated with a brush by hand and just sucked it up with vac. that dried crusty salt is pretty hard stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Winter Salt From Carpet

do you have an exstractor or steamer. If not i would mist with hot water and some apc. Scrub with a stiff bristled brush, Suck up with a wet/dry vac. Repeat as needed.

hot water is your friend, it will help break the stains up faster. This is not boiling hot, you must be able to still come into contact with the hot water.

Folex of krudd kutter are awsome to for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    this could help for next time . not sure if they make them for cars but for my truck I use made to fit husky floor liners. they have a good side lip on them and does not allow runoff onto the carpet

Post Thanks / Like

Caution, water will make salt a corrosive solution. Dry salt will not do much harm, but salty water will penetrate and remain in and under the carpet. Vinegar will help neutralize the salt, but will also impart its smell for awhile.

Stiff brush as much as you can, vacuuming while brushing. Once most of the salt is picked up, THEN use water and an extractor to LIGHTLY mist the surface and suck up as much water as possible as quickly as possible. You do not want to saturate the area. Remember the salt is probably just laying on the surface fibers. No need to get it deeper. Hot water increases the rate of reaction, and will also make the carpet's pores open more this letting more water in. Further, salt is very soluble in water, so hot water, even warm water is not necessary. Cold or iced water will do the trick just as good. OPC, APC, Folex are great cleaners and help rid whatever else the salt buildup contains within. But the trick is patience and removing as much as possible before hitting with water.

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

remove the most you can while it is dry without altering the carpet integrity then, if you are in canada or can get ahol of something similar, use RONA floor and carpet cleaner with calcium neutralizer, spray it on,vacuum it, repeat then spray COLD demineralised water on top of each treated spot, vacuum completely dry. Works flawlessly on unkepted Quebec salt city stained cars carpet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post
    Caution, water will make salt a corrosive solution. Dry salt will not do much harm, but salty water will penetrate and remain in and under the carpet. Vinegar will help neutralize the salt, but will also impart its smell for awhile.

Stiff brush as much as you can, vacuuming while brushing. Once most of the salt is picked up, THEN use water and an extractor to LIGHTLY mist the surface and suck up as much water as possible as quickly as possible. You do not want to saturate the area. Remember the salt is probably just laying on the surface fibers. No need to get it deeper. Hot water increases the rate of reaction, and will also make the carpet's pores open more this letting more water in. Further, salt is very soluble in water, so hot water, even warm water is not necessary. Cold or iced water will do the trick just as good. OPC, APC, Folex are great cleaners and help rid whatever else the salt buildup contains within. But the trick is patience and removing as much as possible before hitting with water.
    Good tip with the vinegar. Vinegar has a lot of uses in detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Folex worked like a charm for me -- after trying Meg's Quick Out, Duragloss Fabric and Carpet, Blue Coral Foam. Folex removed 100% of my salt stains with ease, and appears to be 100% safe (instruction state to rub in with fingers).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post

Very helpfull post. i was not even thinking about the water breaking the salt down and embedding it deeper in the carpets. Vinegar is a great idea

Learn something new daily

Post Thanks / Like

are you talking about the carpet mats? or carpet inside the vehicle? If its just the mats hose them down with water. then take some warm water mixed with laundry detergent and scrub brush. scrub the mats and hose them down again. let dry and they will be like new again