autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Find it hard to understand this quote

So this detailer said as I quote "Spider webs are a part of life you just have to live with. Swirl marks and scratches on your car are not."

I thought spider webs, swirl marks, and holograms looks the same so therefore they all would be the same thing but to say you have to live with spider webs and not swirl marks? I am confuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Find it hard to understand this quote

That quote is just one man's opinion or belief. It sounds like either that detailer is concerned with time, too much clear coat removal or he simply doesn't have the proper tools, products or know how to remove the spider webbing from paint. In some situations it may be best to just live with spider webbing but you don't have to.

That's kind of like saying that cavities are a part of life, you just have to deal with them...When in reality you just have to brush your teeth longer, more often and with a good tooth paste and the right tooth brush. Not too confusing right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    That quote is just one man's opinion or belief. It sounds like either that detailer is concerned with time, too much clear coat removal or he simply doesn't have the proper tools, products or know how to remove the spider webbing from paint. In some situations it may be best to just live with spider webbing but you don't have to.

That's kind of like saying that cavities are a part of life, you just have to deal with them...When in reality you just have to brush your teeth longer, more often and with a good tooth paste and the right tooth brush. Not too confusing right?
    Well I looked at some of his work pictures and I noticed he uses a Makita. Seems like he knows what he is doing but he might not be using somewhat proper tools or products depending on the status of how bad what he is working on is like.

I know finishing with a rotary takes a lot of practice. Instead of starting with a rotary and finishing with a DA which is different and comes out better. That may be the solution to his problem or get better with the makita. I dont know if he owns a DA.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of detailers out there seem to only use wool pads too. Dealerships and high production detail shops may only pay 2 or 3 hours to get the entire job finished so in that case maybe his quote is true as there will likely be not enough time to do a multiple step process to fully refine the paint's finish.

A lot of people who are not as detail oriented as we here on detailing discussion forums are, don't even see swirls and spider webs so these 3 hour details are all that they know and they probably don't even know or care that a better finish can be achieved.

I personally can achieve a better finish in the time that I am willing to spend using a rotary only. I have taken the time to finish out with a DA polisher and the results are no better than what I can achieve with a rotary.

In my pursuit for a near perfect finish detailing for money, I've had the determination and necessity to learn how to do it all with a rotary but this has been an evolving process of weeding out the pads, products and processes that don't work for me in achieving these results in the time frame that I am willing to work within. Necessity is the mother of invention.

What I do today is the result of spending thousands of dollars on testing various polishers, pads, products and processes during hundreds of paint corrections.

I have not arrived, I continually try to improve the time that it takes to achieve the results that I desire.

If a customer only wants to spend $150 then spider webs are a part of life and he or she will have to live with them and will likely not even see them. On the other hand if I get a customer that has a passion for the appearance of his or her paint finish and doesn't mind spending what it takes to get it, I take the time to over deliver for them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he means REAL spider webs in your basement, attic etc.. And he means that is part of life.. But "spider webbing" on your car's finish is something you don't have to live with.

Mike Phillips

Does he hang out on any detailing discussion forums?

Pretty easy to figure out that detailers that hang out on detailing discussion forums tend and trend to know more about all things related to detailing than those that just hang out in the real world.

Not a put down... just a matter of a person's access to more and more information/education.

Share our forum with him...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the detailer who was quoted had said "spider webs ON YOUR CAR are part of life..." then I would agree with everyone one here. But notice he said that swirls "on your car" are something you don't have to live with. I think everyone is overthinking this quote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Does he hang out on any detailing discussion forums?

Pretty easy to figure out that detailers that hang out on detailing discussion forums tend and trend to know more about all things related to detailing than those that just hang out in the real world.

Not a put down... just a matter of a person's access to more and more information/education.

Share our forum with him...

Theres alot of truth with this statement, I've detailed for 12 years and knew alot about the products I was using and developed techniques to master them, but only till recently I've started looking at online detailing forums and have learned so much regarding so many other products and techniques. Luckily I started off in a classroom environment and didn't have bad habits, but am still learning more and more the more i read these forums and if I can help someone from time to time that's just an added bonus
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

He's referring to real spider webs. ( I would hope)
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Well is hard to tell if is basement spider webs or paint spider webs lol But guys I send him a message regarding about his quote. Looks like he runs a shop him being the owner and operator might have 1 or 2 workers as well.

I have worked in Car wash's, Hand Car Wash's, Dealerships, and I was for a while an owner and operator of a small shop but I had to close it down. Now I am working my way up to mobile detailing. So yea thats why I was concern of the quote. I am not trying to make him look bad or trying to make him look like he doesn't know what he is doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast