autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Acidic wheel cleaner on a painted rim?

I am in a bind, i just got my car back from a repair shop. i've had issues with repair shops leaving jobs half done, poorly done, etc. and i end up having to return for issues more than once on the two occassions i have absolutely had to use a repair shop (do my own work completely, paint, etc as long as i have room and time to do it, nothing i have not done yet).

unfortunately with this new debacle, i received my car back for the second time from this shop (they forgot to fix the front bumper which had a crack in it), and it was hard enough to get them to fix the rest of the issues.. my car is immaculate most of the time, even the paint.

problem. i received my car from the shop and after returning it home, i find that after cleaning the rims which are Volk GT-7 rims. with a gunmetal gray center, and polished rim (clearcoat over the polish). i have polished out the rims more than once to get the rim to a super shiny nice finish.l

after cleaning it looks like a splotchy white finish all over it, as well as being a rough surface also. it looks horrible.

i need to know if the cause of this would be an acidic wheel cleaner? do you have any pictures of damaged clear coat?

i can take a few pictures, but i think its self explanitory of the splotchy white effect on a polished surface. i need some pictures of before and after of other rims to show to them if i do decide to go back and see if i can get them to fix it or pay for it.

thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Acidic wheel cleaner on a painted rim?

could very well be caused by an acid wheel cleaner. hard to say without pics though.

Post Thanks / Like

here are some pics

even the calipers looks discolored like something was used to "clean" them.... except that they didnt spray it evenly, almost like they sprayed and let itset, and now there is a line of "clean" on the caliper... first pic is before scrubbing, and send pic is after scrubbing with a stiff brush and soapy solution to make sure it wasnt just road grime since it was snowy out (salt on the road), except this car has not seen any road except to and from the shop.

for comparison, this is what the same rim pictured looked like before cleaning it before winter this year.

any help on how to go about telling the shop about this would be appreciated for anyone who has gone through it.

or how you (mike) would like a customer to approach you about wheel damage after coming back to a shop for a (ugh) third time.

Post Thanks / Like

What wheel cleaner did you use ?

In you description it sounds like you were the one to clean them after the shop had the car, and this was the result from the cleaner you used. is this correct ?

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

If you left the shop, they may not accept that they caused the problem, unless they admit to spraying the rim with a wheel cleaner.

It appears to be damage from the use of the incorrect cleaner. Salt spots, by comparison would not have "streaks" in the finish - they'd be large spots all over the polished lip.

Good luck with them admitting liability. The only proper fix is to have the lip repolished.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like acid. sucks that they did that. im sure they won't own up to it, but for your sake i hope they make it right. have you tried re-polishing just to see if it would help?

Post Thanks / Like

i plan on calling the shop and asking what products they use when they "detail" the car on exit. maybe sound like an interested customer, i'll be recording on my phone. if i have to ill take them to court to pay for the damage. the rims are expensive and so is recoating them because you have to take them apart and volk does not release their torque specs for wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by proudpoppa View Post
    looks like acid. sucks that they did that. im sure they won't own up to it, but for your sake i hope they make it right. have you tried re-polishing just to see if it would help?
    all the pics are after a brisk polish by hand with ultimate compound and an aggressive pad.

it should not require a ton of polishing if it was simply salt.

Post Thanks / Like

although i did have the same problem when dealing with the actual repair damage, because they chose to fix only certain areas of the car. and tried to tell me that damage from the accident was prexisting... i hate these repair shops so much, its just a hassle to deal with anyone when they touch my cars. unfortunately sometimes you have to let them.

it just sucks that in order for everything to be ok i would have to do a 30 point inspection on my own vehicle to make sure the repair shop didnt mess things up without telling me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need a new repair shop IMO

Here is a video I find intresting

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast