autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax

Review: Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax

Introduction:
    I’ve used a fair number of different spray waxes but hadn’t tried this one until just recently when Shane sent me a sample. Today (Friday) I tested it out on my Sky. I also set up a scrap panel to compare it next to a few other spray waxes. Thanks for the sample Shane!

Product Description (from AG website):
    Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax features Meguiars Hydrophobic Polymer Technology to give your vehicle’s paint unparalleled protection and gloss. The polymer-based spray wax can be applied in direct sunlight on hot surfaces with no streaking or white residues. Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax offers the longest lasting protection available in a spray wax from Meguiars!

Initial Product Observations:
    1.- Packaging: N/A

2.- Directions: N/A
    3.- Consistency: Thin like a QD spray

4.- Color: Off white
    5.- Scent: Pineapple and coconut? Whatever it is… I like it
    6.- Size: 15.2 oz.
    7.- Price at time of review: $7.99
    8.- Manufacturer: Meguiars, Inc
    9.- Made in: The USA

Products used for prep, during application, or removal:
    1.- Nitrile Gloves

2.- Stoners Tarminator
    3.- DP Clay
    4.- Carrand Wash Mitt

5.- Optimum Power Clean
    6.- Nitrile Gloves
    7.- Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
    8.-
    Partial LC blue flat pad
    9.- MF towels

01-Conditions

02-Reviewed Product

03-Products used

04-Comparsion Products

05-Paint Cleaner

06, 07- After Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax

Method of Preparation:
    I pulled my old test panel out and discovered I had unfortunately neglected to remove the tape that I had used as labeling for a previous review. After failing to find my plastic razor blades I used a plastic knife to scrape the old tape away as best I could. Then after rinsing the panel I sprayed some Tarminator on the tape residue areas and preceded to clay those spots with the Tarminator as clay lube. Well, I made quite the mess with this method but I did remove the dries out tape areas. In their place I had created some very dulled areas in the panel. Next I took a piece of a LC blue flat pad and applied the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. After working it into the half of the panel on which the testing would take place I buffed it dry. Next I sprayed Optimum Power Clean (2 parts water to 1 part OPC) over the entire panel and let it sit for a minute before washing it thoroughly with my MF Chenille Mitt. Finally I dried the panel with an mf towel. The towel I used was not the quality I would use on an actual car and did add marring to my test panel.

Video: Stripping the Panel

Application and noted Observations:
    Next I set my test panel up against the fence where at this time the sun was able to reach it. After taping off 4 sections of the test panel I sprayed Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax on the far right section and immediately spread it and then buffed it off. I found the Megs to apply easily and have no streaking issues. It added gloss to the reflection and the slickness was definitely up there right off the bat. What I found most interesting was that the Megs actually hid a good deal of the fine towel induced swirls in the panel.

Next I applied 3 other products to the other 3 sections. I used a fresh towel for each of these 3 products and applied in the same way as I had with the subject of our review. After past reviews it is very common for people to ask me how the subject of the review compares in one way or another to X product or Y product. By adding 3 comparison products to the testing I hope I’ll be able to answer some of those questions. But do remember that there are uncontrolled factors that could cause different results. These are simply my findings under these specific conditions. These conditions include the fact that the test panel was stripped clean. When using a spray wax under normal conditions (meaning over an existing lsp) the spray wax may have a more or less positive reaction with that specific lsp.

Comparisons: (Rated from Best to Worst - where applicable)

Most streak FREE product:
    Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax
    Duragloss Aquawax # 951
    Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax
    Optimum Car wax
    Note: None of these 4 products gave me much trouble in the streaky department. However Pinnacle was the winner. Duragloss and Meguiars were neck and neck and I can’t be sure of the winner between them. Optimum was streakier than the other 3. I already knew it would streak if applied in the sun. In many past experiences with this product it has not been an issue for me when used under proper application circumstances (in the shade).

Fillers (Hides fine swirls):
    Didn’t notice this trait in the other 3 products
    Note: This was not a category I was looking to test or had even considered to be something I would find. After I applied the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax I immediately noticed that some of the finest swirls were no longer visible. After applying the other 3 waxes it was apparent to me that the Megs was doing something in this department that the other 3 were not. When moving my head back and forth on that tapeline I could see a difference.

Brightest Reflection: (Immediately after Application) (Best to Worst does not apply here)
    This is NOT the “best looking” category. I wouldn’t know what that means to each of you if even to myself… It says “BRIGHTEST REFLECTION”
    Duragloss Aquawax # 951
    Optimum Car wax
    Note: They are all so close you would never notice a difference unless you line them each up like I did. Even right next to each other its near impossible to see a difference. Duragloss and Megs were almost if not identical here. Optimum and Pinnacle were also almost identical here.

Slickness (Initial): Immediately after application (Tested with multiple finger swipes)
    Optimum Car wax
    Duragloss Aquawax # 951
    Note: Optimum was the winner here with Megs and Duragloss just barely behind it for 2nd/3rd place. All 4 were slick

Slickness (Cured and rinsed): 24 hours after application and after about a total of 8 minutes worth of water sprayed over it. (Tested with multiple finger swipes)
    Optimum Car wax
    Duragloss Aquawax # 951
    Note: The “cured” slickness results surprised me a little. I expected the Duragloss to win after 24 hours. The 8 minutes of water may have had an affect. I should have checked before hosing it down but forgot.

Sheeting (Fastest): 24 hours after application
    Optimum Car wax
    Duragloss Aquawax # 951
    Note:Megs and Optimum were neck and neck here but while the speed was very similar they behaved a little differently. Check out the videos below.

Sheeting (Complete - Which was most dry after waiting 3 minutes from time of hose removal): 24 hours after application
    Optimum Car wax
    Duragloss Aquawax # 951
    Note:Pinnacle won this category. The whole Pinnacle section was dry except for one little 2”x2” area that had drops on it.

Videos: Sheeting and Beading properties
    This morning (approximately 24 hours after application) I took the hose to the test panel.
    The first video is the longest. About 2:30 into it I get zoomed in even closer to the panel. The products are placed on the panel in the following ordder. From Far left to Far right:
    Optimum / Pinnacle / Duragloss / Meguiars / Nothing

Video Sheeting:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe8CiAspy5o]YouTube - Sheeting.AVI[/video]

Video Sheeting with tape removed:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wySH592G3vA]YouTube - Sheeting with tape removed.AVI[/video]

Video Beading:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jUN0CYVWMU]YouTube - Beading.AVI[/video]

Further Testing On Sky’s Lid:
    To get a little more time and experience with the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax I moved to my garage. I sprayed some product on a section of Sky’s rear lid. Then with a proper mf towel (much higher quality towel than I had used on the test panel), I spread the product across the section and flipped the towel to buff off. My initial impressions of the product were reinforced and I was happy with the gloss and slickness.

53-Camera Flash

54 through 58- Brinkman

59- Brinkman & LED

60, 61-LED

Further Testing On Sky’s Window Seals:
    I also sprayed a little Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax on Sky’s window seal (Pictures 41 and 42) to see how transparent it would dry. Within about an hour it was dry and not obviously visible under regular lighting. I pulled out my LCD headlamp and used the flash to shed a little light for the pictures. The dried spots of spray wax were now visible as seen in pictures 43 and 44. After taking those pictures lightly rubbed my finger across the seal and back again one time. The spots wiped right off/in as easily as you could imagine. It seemed to merge with the existing DG 531 that is on the seals now. It looks like you might even be able to dress seals with the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax. That is for another day.

41, 42-Just sprayed

43, 44-One Hour Later

45, 46-After 2 Quick swipes of my finger (Looks new again)

Pros:
    1.- Excellent price

2.–Slick and Glossy
    3.- Streak resistant
    4.- Won’t stain trim
    5.- Smell

Cons:
    1.- None

???:
    1.- Durability - Meguiars claims and description make me expect good things in the durability department. I will report back with what I find to be the case. If you guys can provide what you have found as far as this goes please chime in.

Final Observations and Summary:

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax is a very reasonably priced spray wax that provides gloss and slickness. Discovering that it hid fine swirls was an interesting find. I enjoyed using this product and would recommend it to anybody looking for a great spray wax at a great price. After my findings with the hose this morning I really like this spray wax. According to Meguiars it offers the longest lasting protection of any of their spray waxes. Personally I wouldn’t have it as my only protection but it should be a great booster.

You had me at…
    They had me at “Hydrophobic Polymer Technology”. It sounds fun but does it actually mean anything?

Hydrophobic: lacking affinity for water. (That’s true of any spray wax isn’t it?)

Polymer: a chemical compound or mixture of compounds formed by polymerization and consisting essentially of repeating structural units. (This is actually a pretty generalized term but I like the way it sounds as much as you do. I can dig it…)
    The last paragraph about “Hydrophobic Polymer Technology” (as well as almost the whole review) I wrote yesterday after I had done everything other than that sheeting video. After hosing that panel down for probably 15 minutes off and on this morning I have a new respect for Meguiars use of that term. It definitely spits the water back at you faster than the average spray wax.

Questions, comments, and criticism is greatly appreciated… Well at least the first two are. I’m kidding of course. Say what you say. Thanks for reading!

And the Product Link:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-spray-wax.html
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 01-29-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax

Admin or AG mods, I have gone over my alotted 20 minute edit time and can no longer edit something I just added.
    Please make the following correction for me.
    The first video is the longest. About 2:30 into it I get zoomed in even closer to the panel. Add an enter here
    The products are placed on the panel in the following ordder. From Far left to Far right: delete this enter
    Optimum / Pinnacle / Duragloss / Meguiars / Nothing

What is shown in green is the way it should be. (but put it in black)

The first video is the longest. About 2:30 into it I get zoomed in even closer to the panel.

The products are placed on the panel in the following order. From Far left to Far right: Optimum / Pinnacle / Duragloss / Meguiars / Nothing

Post Thanks / Like

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Well done for sure. TY
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

that was a great review. I've had the same experiences (as far as streaking, slickness, and filling abilities) with the products you reviewed.

thanks for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

This was an excellent review with every detail I could have asked for!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Glad to hear you like UQW! I am a huge fan of it also. If you apply 2-3 coats of it then it does giv substantial protection for about a month and sometimes 6 weeks. I am always re-waxing so using only a spray wax has actually been really easy and effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Extremely well done. That required a lot of work. I don't agree with "excellent price" and "great price" however. At a normal price of ten bucks for 15 ounces of Megs, Aquawax is a far better value. Even at the current sale price AW still beats beats it.......badly. Minor quibble, thanks for all your hard work.

Technically only two of the products are actually a spray wax correct? Only Optimum and Pinnacle tout carnauba in the mix. The other two are spray sealants even though the word wax is used in their names.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Thank you Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Finemess View Post
    Well done for sure. TY
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by rfinkle2 View Post
    that was a great review. I've had the same experiences (as far as streaking, slickness, and filling abilities) with the products you reviewed.

thanks for your time.
    Thanks so much. I appreciate the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
    This was an excellent review with every detail I could have asked for!

Thanks!
    Thank you Randy! Its good to know it was worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn T. View Post
    Great review! Glad to hear you like UQW! I am a huge fan of it also. If you apply 2-3 coats of it then it does giv substantial protection for about a month and sometimes 6 weeks. I am always re-waxing so using only a spray wax has actually been really easy and effective.
    Thank you Shawn! Thanks for the added info as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Extremely well done. That required a lot of work. I don't agree with "excellent price" and "great price" however. At a normal price of ten bucks for 15 ounces of Megs, Aquawax is a far better value. Even at the current sale price AW still beats beats it.......badly. Minor quibble, thanks for all your hard work.
    Thanks so much, Also thanks for noticing the time invested! You make a good point about the price. The Duragloss price is an incredible value. (Even more when it is on Bogo occasionally) I didn't really think about the pricing on the DG when I made that statement. Thanks for catching this valid point.

About the same price normally but for those $ you get:
    22 oz. with Duragloss
    15 oz. with Meguiars

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Technically only two of the products are actually a spray wax correct? Only Optimum and Pinnacle tout carnauba in the mix. The other two are spray sealants even though the word wax is used in their names.
    You are correct and thank you for pointing that out. I actually had something written about this in my comparison section (called "apples to oranges...") but I removed it. This is what the AG store has to say about it.

According to AG store:
    Optimum Car Wax: High grade Carnauba and sealant polymers
    Pinnacle Liquid Soveran Spray wax: Carnauba wax and and crystalline polymers
    Duragloss Aquawax: Synthetic Sealant Spray
    Meguiars Ultima Quik Wax: Polymer based spray wax

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. I'm sure it takes a considerable amount of time to put something of this nature together. The write-up alone takes a lot of effort, let alone the actual test(s).

UQW did extremely well in every category. The only category it did not take 1st or 2nd in was the "Most Streak Free Product". Considering you pitted it against a couple of the heavy weights (Pinnacle and Ultimum) both in terms of price and reputation the results surprised me.

Again, thanks for putting this together.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast