autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Etched water spots. help

OK...not a good day for me.

picked up a black expedition with horrible water spots.
    Nothing is getting them out.
    PC w/ Orange pad and Yellow pad (edge) with light, medium, and aggresive polish (removes 600 grit scratches) and it does not budge.
    Move to a rotary w/ polishing pad with, again, light meduim, and aggresive polish. Made it a little better, but still there.
    Tried all the tricks of the trade. Nada.

I haven't done alot of water spotted cars, but the ones I have done, came back nicely. This one on the other hand.....PITA.

I worked the passenger side fender for 30 minutes and like I said, nada. Some spots cleaned up nice, but the majority stayed.
    The hood of this beast is aweful. You can feel the spots.
    So, is this a job for a rotary with heavier pads? i used a polishing as astated before. Or is this a wetsand job to say the least? I do not do wetsanding, so I should pass this down the road? I quoted 125 for the exterior buff...
    In the business world, the rear-view mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sound like a wet sand + rotary + compound is the procedure. For a vehicle this size, that's a pretty good task by itself!

If you tackle this, make sure you have a paint guage before you start. This will give you an estimate of the paint thickness you are working on. I guage every car before starting, mainly to see if prior wet sanding and compounding have been done.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow sounds like you got your work cut out. Toto is the man when it comes to wet sand. Good luck, would really like to see process and pictures if you do proceed with the wet sanding.

I got a question for you Toto, is there a difference between say XMT #3 and compound? I thought that XMT products were compounds? Well sorry for asking a question within a question but I'm just curious and I don't know much about compounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Totoland Mach
    Sound like a wet sand + rotary + compound is the procedure. For a vehicle this size, that's a pretty good task by itself!

If you tackle this, make sure you have a paint guage before you start. This will give you an estimate of the paint thickness you are working on. I guage every car before starting, mainly to see if prior wet sanding and compounding have been done.

Toto
    Thanks for the fast reply! I was just looking at alot of your work. Looks like I will run a rotary over it one more time. If nothing, I will pass it down the road.
    I am still in the beginning phase of wetsanding.....so on a vehicle this size and color, I will pass.....
    thanks again!
    In the business world, the rear-view mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nica: I don't know exactly what the difference is between XMT 3 and Compound, but I would say, Yes...there is a difference. The Optimum Compound I use is more abrasive than any of the XMT line and I suspect that's because XMT is for the general consumer/detailer and works with a pc.

I'll betcha' Killrwheels or Meghan can provide a good answer...they are the guru's of the AG board and know the product differences.

TexasTB: I'd pass on the Expedition too if I didn't have the proper tools and products and step ladder for that big vehicle. Maybe you could sub-contract sanding and compounding of just the hood. Then finish the job with your labor and materials. Just a thought.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like
    Xmt 3 is pretty aggressive, but I would not consider it a full blown compound. I would move to Optimum Hyper Compound as possible over it as the next step. It sounds like I do not envy your current position in the middle of all those spots.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the information , sorry for posting a question within a question .

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi there
    i got a thing that works its called "nothing better" you got to use a little elbo grease but it works very time. it a paste, its bad ass! if you can't find it e-mail me jimo2u@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard people say that SSR3 is like liquid sandpaper. Might want to try that?

Post Thanks / Like
    some people have had success with throwing some CLR in with their wash water and washing with that... then thoroughly rinsing. Maybe its worth a try?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast