autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing a van with decals

Now that I got the bug I was thinking of doing my company van. It's a 2010 Ford Transit. Problem is this thing is covered with company logo and all kinds of decals. Can I clay it? I'm thinking it would tend to mess up the decals. Also waxing would be an issue trying to get it out of the edge of lettering. What approach would you guys do? Thanks for the help, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing a van with decals

Quote Originally Posted by WJave View Post
    Now that I got the bug I was thinking of doing my company van. It's a 2010 Ford Transit. Problem is this thing is covered with company logo and all kinds of decals. Can I clay it? I'm thinking it would tend to mess up the decals. Also waxing would be an issue trying to get it out of the edge of lettering. What approach would you guys do? Thanks for the help, Dave
    Are these decals or a vanwrap?

Actually, it doesn't matter. Yes you can clay and polish this. If the decal/wrap is coming undone around any edges use caution. Also, polish at a low speed, no major correction here, just trying to liven up the paint
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

These are the 3M "stickers" I was just woriied about scratching them or dicoloring. They are "stand alone" not a complete van wrap. Thanks for the info.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got asked to do a friends carpet cleaning van fleet. Should I use a AIO polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RightWay View Post
    I got asked to do a friends carpet cleaning van fleet. Should I use a AIO polish?
    I personally would use a product like Megs D151. I have had tons of success with it for production jobs. It is a great 1steper because it will clean up the paint and leave protection behind. Once you are done buffing you dont have to follow up with a wax afterward if you dont want to.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WJave View Post
    You should have no problem claying the decals. If they are smooth then your are good to go. I wouldnt't run the clay back and forth across the edge of the decal ( like paint to decal to paint again repeat, repeat...etc) as it might cause the edge to pull up a bit but treating the decal as a seperate panel, claying the decal, then claying the paint around it will pose no issues.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, i got hung up on youtube Looks like Jon has given a great answer
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Most vinyl, especially the vinyl graphics on motorhomes, has a clear coat of vinyl over the color layer. If this coat is removed, the sun will dry out the vinyl and the basecoat vinyl will begin to alligator. You will remove this clear layer with any type of compound.

I am not guessing at this. I just finished removing the graphics on a motorhome that had been compound and polished 4 times in the last 5 years. The graphics had major alligatoring and came off in small pieces.

Do not use any thing agressive on vinyl. Tape it off to kept compound and polish off. Only use a vinyl restorer to keep it fresh.

Regards,
    Mike Stephenson
    Regards,
    Mike Stephenson

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing to do for decals is to clear coat them(and use a High UV vinyl in the first place) If you "wax" them it wont matter much. just tends to get stuck in the edges and doesnt seem to protect them at all. I have used Plexus on my vinyl and it has now started to discolor some (only the silver)but not crack. Its a seven yr vinyl and has been in Las Vegas Sun for 4yrs non stop so thats pretty good i think. I use Plexus on wrapped cars or busses to give it that shine you cant get with much else.