autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

1931 Ford Sedan - Restoration Project for Dad

1931 Ford Sedan - Restoration Project for Dad

When Max and I flew back from the class we did for Operation Comfort in San Antonio I sat on the plane next to a "Car Guy" by the name of Dan and I shared with him what we did in San Antonio and then told me about his car project. I then told him about or new TV show, "What's in the Garage", and suggested he send some pictures and the story behind the car to masters@masterstv.com because they're looking for interesting cars with a story behind the car.

Now I'm not a part of the team that picks which cars submitted so I have no sway over any decisions, but I do actively tell everyone I meet with a cool car in their garage and a cool car story to go with it about the show and where to submit their pictures and story via e-mail.

Anyway, Pat, Dan's brother was actually given this car by his Dad and he sent some pictures into Masters TV and copied me with his story and the pictures, so I've added the text of his e-mail and his pictures below.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat

Sir,

My brother happened to sit next to Mike Phillips on an airplane last month. My brother asked me to call Mike and I did. He told me to e-mail you.

My father bought a 1931 Ford Sedan delivery in the mid 60's. It was un-restored but ran. My father, owning a garage himself, used to somehow get it running and drive it around the 5 acres he had bought to raise his 6 sons.

I remember riding in it along with my 5 brothers with a 1 gallon gas tank wired to the windshield because the original tank was so full of rust. That car sat in the barn for 40 years till he gave it to me in 2004 and then I started restoring it.

Unfortunately it required to much time and money so the project basically stopped. Early this year I realized it would be a great idea to have the car finished for my father's 80th birthday in August. After speaking to all my brothers and sister they all decided to help get my dad's car finished.

In April I towed it to Lakeland, Florida to be restored by Bill Williams who I had met a couple of years earlier. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to get her done so now it is going to be a Christmas present.

My parents are coming to Florida for Christmas and on the 27th or 28th of December most of our family is coming down to give dad his surprise.

WE CAN"T WAIT!

Earlier this year I found the flying quail my brothers and I had bought him in the early 70's to try and get him to get started. It will be the last part installed on the car and my dad will do it.

We would like to invite you to share this reunion between an 80 year old and his car that was built just a few months after he was born. It's going to be a great surprise. Hope you can make it. Enjoy the attached pics.

Thank you Pat for sharing your car story with me and tell your brother Dan thank you for passing on our conversation from the plane flight.

I'm confident your Dad will be completely surprised by what you and your brothers and sisters have done for him and we look forward to seeing him smiling from ear to ear when he sees the finished results.

Very cool car and car story...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1931 Ford Sedan - Restoration Project for Dad

Whats the chances of it not getting picked now because you shared the story to the world before the first show was even aired? These are things you shouldn't be doing until the masters tv people decide what will be on the show.

Post Thanks / Like

We are hoping that many of our What's In The Garage submissions will also become members here at AGO. Pat will be providing more photos as the restoration progresses.

I'm sure many of the cars seen on Mike's show will make it over here to the forum and vice versa with forum members having the opportunity to submit their cars for possible inclusion to the show.

Don't worry Dubbin, posting pictures here of cars submitted could possibly increase the chances of the car being featured.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a cool story whether it's picked for the show or not. I'm a car guy and I appreciate stuff like this. Pick on me later if you wish.

Mike Phillips

Hey thanks for sharing your opinion dubbin1....

The show is public knowledge, the TV Show announcement was filmed for TV at SEMA and it was announced here on our forum,

Mike Phillips’ Future at Autogeek – SEMA Show Announcement #3

Including an e-mail link letting "anyone" know if they think they have a car and a story that should be considered then send it to MastersTV

Max and I met a lot of people on that trip and Dan wasn't the only one we told about the TV Show, but he's the only one that after I've talked to him sent in his pictures and car story.

The fact that I shared the car and the story here in no way ensures his car will be chosen and I told him that and was very upfront about it. I spoke with him on the phone and I think he's going to join the forum so he can even address your concerns.

What we want to do is to bring as much awareness to the show to the largest number of people that we can reach and a thread like this on our own forum helps to do this and even you're reply helps to bring attention to the show and the opportunity for anyone to submit their car and their car story.

In fact, you have some really nice cars and and and a great shop you're building, even you have the opportunity to submit your car and your car story to be considered for the show.

Here's the link again not just for you... but for anyone that thinks they have a unique car and car story for our new TV show,

masters@masterstv.com

In fact, for anyone reading this, whether a member or a lurker, please feel encouraged to share our new TV show with your family and friends and even on the other car related forums you hang out on... let's spread the word!

You never know... this might lead to more new and exciting opportunities but we need to get the word out!

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

I've actually sent an e-mail to the Caddy King, my friend that has the collection of 1959 Cadillacs all with less than 40,000 miles on them. He's right down the road in Palm City and he has a great "Garage" and a very cool "Car Guy" story.

The Caddy King's Hidden Collection of 1959 Cadillacs!

It was very cool to look inside as the door moved out of the way to reveal a row of original 1959 Cadillacs... all but 2 of the cars in these pictures have their original paint.

And here's row of fins... The 1959 Cadillac is most famous for it's massive fins and dual bullet taillights on both sides...

AND... he knows a lot of other "Car Guys" in this world and where all their Barn Treasure is hidden...

I've asked him to share our new TV show with all his car buddies that think they might have a Car and a Car Story that could be considered...

If nothing else, we hope that by finding out about the show, at a minimum... all these really great car guys will tune in!

And this is one of the great things about a discussion forum... you can reach a lot of people and get the word out!

Send a picture of your car and your car story to...

masters@masterstv.com

So again, if you're a forum member or a lurker reading this, please feel encouraged to share with your circle of friends, both online and offline, about the new TV show Autogeek is bringing to TV!

You can share the link to this thread you're reading, or the announcement thread or here's the link to the Press Release

"What's in the Garage" - Press Release

TV Airing Schedule
    The thirteen (13) week series will debut on Fox Sports Network (FSN) National in the second
    quarter of 2011.

It will be televised on Sunday’s at 11:30 A.M. Eastern Time and will repeat on Monday’s at 4:30 P.M. Eastern Time nationwide.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Whats the chances of it not getting picked now because you shared the story to the world before the first show was even aired? These are things you shouldn't be doing until the masters tv people decide what will be on the show.
    I met with the Masters folks at SEMA as part of a pitch for us to be an advertiser/sponsor of the show. I've known Masters for over 10 years - they produce our shows, and ones we've advertised on.

Based on that meeting, I don't think Mike will have any input into what gets picked.

Masters will pick the stories, and Mike, as the on-air talent, will talk about it. That's his involvement.

I think it's a great show for a couple of reasons - more than cars, it's also a great human interest angle. The Masters folks do a great job, and I have no doubt Mike, standing in front of the camera, will bring a car guy's approach to that human interest angle.

Post Thanks / Like

That story is just awesome .Thanks for sharing Mike
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

That is really cool... car and story as well. Thank you Mike
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care