autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My windshield has a terrible glare at night, what do I do?

To the OP...sorry if I am hijacking your thread, but I too am having this problem.

I have a question for you guys in regards to this topic. I too have this terrible glare on my windshield at night when oncoming headlights hit the glass. This is on the 2005 Acura TL I just bought used. I know it's not like a residue inside the glass, or outside. I have cleaned both sides thoroughly with Sprayway glass cleaner, and clayed the glass, and it doesn't appear to be a contaminating film or residue. What it does look like is that someone scratched the heck out of the outside of the glass! It looks like someone used a brillo pad or something!?! All the scratches are not deep enough to feel with a fingernail, and they appear to be wiper track scratches, like the scratches are along where the wipers run on the glass.

So, my question is, I know there is Rain-X on the glass, because I can see it beading off. I have heard before that Rain-X, when it is wearing off, will cause lots of glare and scratches like this. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this, and will applying more Rain-X help to "fill" in the scratches and get my glass clearer? This is a really annoying problem to have! I don't want to put more Rain-X on if this problem will keep happening.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of these Asian cars seem to have really soft windshield glass (at least in comparison to the way glass seemed to be to us old guys). If you live up north here, the windshields seem to get all scratched up from 1) ice scraping (when the windshield isn't clean) and 2) using the wipers when there is dirty winter spray on the windshield.

I used the Diamondite Glass Restorer stuff on the thin white LC pad on a rotary and was able to knock down the scratches/wiper trails on my friend's car so at least she was able to see at night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    A lot of these Asian cars seem to have really soft windshield glass (at least in comparison to the way glass seemed to be to us old guys). If you live up north here, the windshields seem to get all scratched up from 1) ice scraping (when the windshield isn't clean) and 2) using the wipers when there is dirty winter spray on the windshield.

I used the Diamondite Glass Restorer stuff on the thin white LC pad on a rotary and was able to knock down the scratches/wiper trails on my friend's car so at least she was able to see at night.

Yeah, it does seem to be soft glass. I just can't believe that it's all scratched up like that! The car came from Miami to the dealership here in NC. Maybe some sand got under the wiper blades and caused the scratches, but I'll never know. I'll have to try something soon...it's really annoying me. Don't have a rotary, though. Is there anything I can try by hand (besides the recommendation of chrome polish), or is it a lost cause?

Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh, I didn't even realize this was that same thread from a couple of days ago...if they are actually scratches in the glass you're not going to be able to do anything by hand unless you have a few weeks and a few extra arms. If you have a DA you may be able to make some progress but it may still take a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Sheesh, I didn't even realize this was that same thread from a couple of days ago...if they are actually scratches in the glass you're not going to be able to do anything by hand unless you have a few weeks and a few extra arms. If you have a DA you may be able to make some progress but it may still take a while.

Thanks Setec. I guess I'll just try some experiments to see if I can put a dent in those scratches. Thanks for all your help!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post

I'll have to try something soon...it's really annoying me. Don't have a rotary, though.
    Borrow a rotary? You can also rent a rotary from a tool rental place.

I've used the Diamondite® Glass Resurfacing Crčme with the Lake Country 4 Inch Glass Cutting Pads to remove scratches using a rotary buffer. It actually worked pretty well.

It's messy but works... cover up any nearby plastic or rubber trim.

Is there anything I can try by hand or is it a lost cause?
    I've only seen rotary buffers actually "remove" scuffs, haze and light scratches out of glass, even if you could abrade glass by hand without leaving marks in the glass at the same time you would have to have arms of steel and the speed of a Cheetah.

Maybe look into simply having the windshield replaced?

I had a brand new, tinted front windshield installed into my Jimmy for less than $200.00

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. I might just have to go the route of replacing the windshield, but I'll try some other stuff first.

Post Thanks / Like

@spike: I can attest that the windshields from many asian manufacturers tend to be on the soft side and easily pit. I usually allocate some money to replace the windshield (after the winter). This happened to my 2001 Mitsubishi and I replaced the windshields on my old 1993 Honda Civic and will do the same on my 2009 Rav4. Ironically, I have a 2001 Sonoma with 120k on it and the windshield is in better shape than my '09 Rav4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by longdx View Post
    @spike: I can attest that the windshields from many asian manufacturers tend to be on the soft side and easily pit. I usually allocate some money to replace the windshield (after the winter). This happened to my 2001 Mitsubishi and I replaced the windshields on my old 1993 Honda Civic and will do the same on my 2009 Rav4. Ironically, I have a 2001 Sonoma with 120k on it and the windshield is in better shape than my '09 Rav4.
    Thanks longdx. I really was wondering why it seems so easy to scratch up this windshield. Like, it just seems so soft. Thank you for confirming that to me. I don't know what the previous owner did to the thing, but yikes! It's really an eye-sore, literally...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123