autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water freezing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

water freezing

Hey guys,

i had a quick question.

will adding anti-freeze to my pressure washer, prevent the water on the car from freezing, and will it damage the clear coat?

im from canada, so the temp in toronto on some days get down to - 20 ( winchill etc)

iv read mixed reviews some ppl say it will effect the clear coat others say no?

iv looked into ONR- but that would work, depeding on the extent of the salt stains etc..

thanks

any tips would be appreciated as well

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: water freezing

You might look into something like this. I haven't tried it yet but was planning to order some before winter.

Not only is Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid highly effective, it's safe on your vehicle! Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid is safe on rubber, paint, and metal surfaces. Overspray is not a problem. Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid is free of toxic methanol and ammonia found in leading brands.
    Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid, Einszett windshield washer fluid, antifreeze washerfluid, glass cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I would consider on doing. If you are attempting the two bucket method, go with the ONR with Hot Hot water. Cover the buckets until you get outside. Pressure wash the car to loosen up the built up salt and dirt. Then turn to the buckets with the Hot water and ONR.

Edit: Oh and BTW I really don't think mixing in antifreeze with the washing processes would be advisable, but thats just IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Antifreeze has lubricants in it and would probably make a huge smearing mess.

Post Thanks / Like

putting anti-freeze in any outside area is against the law here in the US, it must be disposed of at proper areas..... i second the lube in anti-freeze will.....indeed i know this for fact i work in a service shop and ive seen it on paint before though we do not offer a anti-freeze service... it takes forever to wipe it off i tried one day when a car came in missing its over-flow cap and it was all over.... couldnt get it off left like a oil sheen to it... look into the washerfluid mix. but 110F degree water should be just fine. do sections watch the water temp and change it when the water temp drops... just my .02cents
    Working on a new sig..... still working....... if only it was as easy as buffing out swirls is...... Brad is my name.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Putting Alcohol prevents water from freezing. Thats what I use in the washer fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I completely misread your post the first time. For some reason I was thinking windshield washer while you asked what you could put in your pressure washer to keep it from freezing. Yeah, I don't think I would put the 1Z stuff intentionally on paint, although it says it is safe.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys

yea i re, read my post and it didnt make to much sense

what can i put in the water tank, so when i pressure wash the car, the water on the car doenst freeze...

i dont have a hot water pressure washer yet,

because it gets cold up here, within minutes of spraying, the water on the car will start to freeze up..

so thats why i was curious to see what i could do ( to prevent this)

and not damage the clear coat.

its a mobile auto detailing company btw so hot water isnt accessible at the moment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by webstar View Post
    thanks guys

yea i re, read my post and it didnt make to much sense

what can i put in the water tank, so when i pressure wash the car, the water on the car doenst freeze...

i dont have a hot water pressure washer yet,

because it gets cold up here, within minutes of spraying, the water on the car will start to freeze up..

so thats why i was curious to see what i could do ( to prevent this)

and not damage the clear coat.

its a mobile auto detailing company btw so hot water isnt accessible at the moment
    There really isn't much you can do.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you can try is RV Anti-Freeze (good to -50F/-45C) vice the 'regular' anti-freeze.

Auto AF is really bad stuff on finishes (I've splashed it more than once), plus it is VERY toxic to animals and the like, they just love the smell and taste. The stuff will run down the gutter, etc, right?

Whereas the RV stuff is made for RV fresh water system and it is SOMEWHAT eatable (is that spelled rite?).

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast