autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers...

with so many custom paint jobs today...you would think that someone would induce swirls on a car's paint job and say its the new fad...that way, you cant have a bad detail experience!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer325! View Post
    with so many custom paint jobs today...you would think that someone would induce swirls on a car's paint job and say its the new fad...that way, you cant have a bad detail experience!
    That would mess with my head so bad if I didn't know it was on purpose, and couldn't get the swirls out, haha. I'd wanna kill them for not telling me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ham?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how often people are looking at this thread, but I am looking to buff out some moderate swirl marks on my black CTS-V. It is a daily driver and has flaws, so I am not interested in investing huge sums of money in detailing supplies beyond compounds and pads (like a DA polisher). I have a rotary buffer that I used to buff out a wetsanded paint job I did (my first and full of orange peel) using Perfect-It II and the eggcrate foam pads. From what I have read I will likely use the Mequiar's 105/205 combo with new Lake County pads, but after seeing this I am concerned that my lack of experience with a rotary might be shown off with the black paint. Are there some good articles on here to show me the basics? When I did the Bronco it turned out great. Maybe it was beginner's luck, but I suppose with this forum the how to knowledge is here somewhere.

Thanks,
    Ben

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post

From what I have read I will likely use the Mequiar's 105/205 combo with new Lake County pads, but after seeing this I am concerned that my lack of experience with a rotary might be shown off with the black paint.

Are there some good articles on here to show me the basics? When I did the Bronco it turned out great. Maybe it was beginner's luck, but I suppose with this forum the how to knowledge is here somewhere.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Hi Ben,

M105 and M205 are very good products for use with rotary buffers and they've raised the bar when it comes to buffing out swirl free with a rotary buffer. It can still be a challenge however because not all paints are easily polished swirl free.

Check out my reply in this thread,

Is it worth it to get the new Flex PE14-2-150?

And this one,

How do you stay away from holograms?

If you want to ensure that you're leaving a 100% rotary buffer induced swirl-free finish, then change the action of the tool for your last machine step and finish out with a DA polisher.

Also, sine this was your first post to our forum....

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike and thanks to Autogeek for supporting this forum! I will return the favor once I have a materials list and support you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to detailing and I am a hobbyist working on just my own cars. What I'm seeing here drives home the point to me that I better just stick to a random orbital unless I get the proper training and experience to try my hand with rotary buffers. Thanks for the pictures and heads up.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work. Very nice and clean! Great job!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JSMet View Post

What I'm seeing here drives home the point to me that I better just stick to a random orbital unless I get the proper training and experience to try my hand with rotary buffers.
    Our next Detailing 101 and 102 Classes will be held on Saturday, July 9th and Sunday, July 10th, so schedule accordingly and I guarantee you these will be a lot of fun plus a great learning experience...

Click here to sign-up for July 9th Detailing 101

Click here to sign-up for July 10th Detailing 102

Post Thanks / Like

Michael:

Expecting the best and preparing for the worst. If the body shop is that bad I do not want them to retry their skills on my car twice. I will take my own chances.

Here is a question what kind of Foam pad do you recommend to get under the door handle to remove nail scratches my wife's black Mercedes-Benz 300E. I want to post some picture of the procedure I use how do you do that? if it works God hoping LOL I order $500.00 of products last night from you company that will not account for the last two orders I placed which bring it up to $800.00

I am rereading you book and underlining what I feel are important notes. Glad I got two copies. this copy is my work book. Can you send me an itinerary of your classes for 2012. what kind of classes are offered and the best months of the year to fly to Florida. I have health problems with heat. I do better in temperatures of 60 to 70s C. A list of hotels around your facility would be most appreciated.

Sincerely
    Bob & Sharon Geco
    Long Beach , CA.
    Last edited by robert1955; 11-28-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling added some information

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast