autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

significant difference 106fa and 85rd?

is there a significant difference between menzerna PO 106fa and PO 85rd? i have the 85rd but practiced on husband's 07 jeep cherokee, and didnt notice much improvement. i have a brand new subaru outback 2010 that has micro marring horizontal lines all over from being washed/wiped/brushed on dealer lot. should i try the 85rd on my subaru first? or do you think the 106ff will do a better job? i dont want to buy the stuff if i dont have to. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: significant difference 106fa and 85rd?

85rd has very little cut at all and 106 has slightly more than that. You are going to need something stronger than those two. Also what pads and polishing tool do you have?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: significant difference 106fa and 85rd?

i have a new porter cable 7424 with the grey/black lake Country pad. i just didnt want to go too strong as it is a new car, and i have never done this before. i did pretty well today on the jeep, after watching a few how- to videos. i guess if the 106fa has a bit more cut i could try that. they are micro marring horizontal scratches easily seen in sunlight. they run the length of the car. especially on the doors.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this link

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart

The 85RD and grey LC pad are terrific for the final polish /jeweling but not what you would use to remove scratches or swirls.

As Dana mentioned the 106fa is probably not aggressive enough either. You probably want to step up a bit more. Without seeing the scratches it's hard to say but maybe the Wolfgang TSR with a tangerine HT pad would be good for a test spot. What pads and polishes do you have other then the PO85RD and the gray pad? Snap some pictures so we can get a better ideas what to recommend.

Edit: The 106fa might do it but not sure without seeing the swirls/scratches.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

cee dog, I didnt purchase any cutting pads- for fear that would be too much on the paint! i am a bit nervous about this. i got the black(gray) red, blue and soft gold foam jeweling pads. i have the PO 85RD, and Danase Wet Glaze 2.0, Optiseal paint sealant, and optimum car wax (in progressive order of the process i plan). i looked at the chart,very helpful. i will look at the wolfgang stuff some more. tomorrow i will try to take some good pics in the sun. it does make me sick to look at sometimes! thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Tracey, I understand your fears. I felt the same way when I bought my Sky. I agonized and researched for probably 40 hours back and forth on different polishes and products and asked the members here on AG lots of things. Like you I was looking at the very least aggressive polishes. After all my car was new and it seemed to me I would only need the very least aggressive product. After getting a little bit of experience I realize that my fears were out of line with reality. However it's better to learn the way you are then to jump in with no experience, a rotary, and a wool pad. LOL Better safe then sorry!

The polishes and sealants you got are all great products.
    As far as the pads: You are certainly stocked up on finishing pads! The pads you have range from no cut to barely any cut. (The gold pad might actually add paint... joking) You will definitely want to get some LC flat white polishing pads. (Don't worry these are not aggressive) But they will actually give you some polishing cut. Also I would get some HT tangerine pads.

Hold off for tonight on buying any pads or polishes until you get the pictures up and a few people can weigh in on the pictures tommorrow.

Talk to you soon
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have agonized so much i've been having dreams about it- scratches and polishing! i almost did get the white LC pads at first, then chickened out. Naturally today is cloudy so i cannot get a good picture yet. hopefully some sun will show soon. also, i read that not good idea to do this work in the sun. right? my husbnd has a warehouse (medical supply business) that can fit cars inside- so i plan to do it there. i will post pics as soon as i can. thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

this car here in the link is the condition mine looks like (his may be worse), and similar paint. he used 106ff (106fa now). 2010 BLACK VW CC polish, sealant, wax (big pics)
    i am going to post my pics as soon as the sun shines.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what is the best way to take the most clear paint pictures with detail? i tried to get a few in the sun but the camera is not picking up the scratches. is it best at night with a halogen lamp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Check out this link

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart

The 85RD and grey LC pad are terrific for the final polish /jeweling but not what you would use to remove scratches or swirls.
    I've got all pads from yellow to red (no gold). All LC 5.5". I was planning on jeweling with 85RD and blue pads.

Can someone give me the difference between the black/gray, the blue, and the red pads? I only use the reds for wax spreading. I haven't used the black/gray pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast