autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: baked on bugs?

Post Thanks / Like

baked on bugs?

I have lots of bugs almost baked on at the front end.
    Is there anything I can do to remove them?
    I tryed my pc with XMT3 and Orange LC pad but It doesn't come off.

Also my older car when I work on it I get grease prints on the paint what can I do to remove that?

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    A heavy polish and heavy pad will not remove ?? These must have baked on for years. Normally I would saturate the area with Poorboys Bug Squash then wash as usual. Sounds like you might need some body work. (refinishing)

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    if you cannot remove them with a degreaser, all purpose cleaner, or abrasive polish then they have most likely damaged your finish. I was visiting my local detail shop/car wash and the owner said the newest trend to remove bugs was an oxygenated hydrogen peroxide, or plain old hydrogen peroxide. He said it would not remove wax or damage the finish. I have not tried this personally because I purchased some bug squash that I have not been able to use yet either.

Tip: Try to remove love bugs daily during their season because their "guts" have an acidic fluid that will damage the finish if not tended to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple Green

My car after a trip thru butterfly country.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that you spray the front of your vehicles and mirrors with Simple Green before/as you prep vehicles for wash. One question---Does Simple Gree strip LSP's? Wax OR sealant? Thanks!

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dengood1
    I saw that you spray the front of your vehicles and mirrors with Simple Green before/as you prep vehicles for wash. One question---Does Simple Gree strip LSP's? Wax OR sealant? Thanks!

Dennis
    I done it before, and yes it will.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would strongly suggest not to use Simple Green on the paint. I just saw pictures on another forum where a guy literally burned through the clear coat by leaving Simple Green on the paint for too long. It's very strong stuff and for me personally, I would be terrified to touch my paint with it.

Bug Squash is awesome even on older bugs, but if the bugs aren't coming off with polishing, that sounds like they are etched in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I Agree ...

Simple Green and cars are a very dangerous comodity. I have seen aluminum wheels (uncoated) destroyed in a minute with the stuff. There are simply better options. For one ... P21S Total Wash.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Poorboy's Bug Squash but recently I had a bug problem that it couldn't clean.

My niece came to visit us from collage a couple of weekends ago and I was amazed at the amount of lovebugs that had been mashed onto the front of her car. It turned out that some of the bugs were new but most had been on there for a couple of months.

Well, I went to work on it first using Bug Squash which got the new bugs off but not the hardened caked on stuff.

My second method was to use a petrochemical that removed a bit more but not all.

My third method was to lay a wet towel over the bugs overnight. This worked fairly well but there were still some baked on spots that nothing seemed to clean.

My forth and final method was to use a steam cleaner with some Bug Squash mixed in. That cleaned it 100%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottinflorida
    My forth and final method was to use a steam cleaner with some Bug Squash mixed in. That cleaned it 100%.
    Awesome tip. What kind of steam cleaner did you use? At what ratio did you mix the bug squash with the water? More details pleeeeeease!! Inquiring minds want to know.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast