autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: baked on bugs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaNative
    Awesome tip. What kind of steam cleaner did you use? At what ratio did you mix the bug squash with the water? More details pleeeeeease!! Inquiring minds want to know.
    Oops, I guess I should have given some details.

A couple of years ago I saw a "Euro Pro Deluxe Hydo Steamer" advertised on the Home Shopping Network. I don't think they carry it anymore but you can get one here: http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp08859-0385.html

I mixed about a 1/4 cup of bug squash in about 2 cups of water and poured it into the steamer and then let it heat up.

I used the nylon brush head in conjunction with the scalding steam to get the embedded bugs removed.

I don't think I would use this method on my new Mini Cooper S but then again, I'm not going to have baked on bugs on my car either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! I'm going to try that on my mom's car. She's coming to visit next week and I'm detailing her car for her again. It's funny how her visits always seem to come when the car is in need of detailing again. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm But she has bugs like that on her front end! I couldn't get them off with polishing. I have a steamer similar to that so I'll have to try that out. But one question. My steamer says that you're not supposed to use any solutions other than water. Did yours say that also? Mine also is a shark steam cleaner, similar to this one.

I figure they say that for liability reasons so that you won't mess up the unit and then try to return it after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Megs APC one of the best choices if not using steam or polishing? At what dilution rate would be good? 1:1 too strong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaNative
    I figure they say that for liability reasons so that you won't mess up the unit and then try to return it after.
    My directions said the same thing but my former neighbor up in Maine had one that he mixed in Lysol to clean his tile floor. That convinced me that it was alright.

I guess if they didn't say "Don't put anything but water in the unit", some dummy would put gasoline in it and eventually make another rich lawyer.

I put non-volatile chemicals in my steam cleaner all the time, (Lysol, Mr. Clean, Bug Squash.) I never put in bleach, any kind of petrochemicals in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottinflorida
    My directions said the same thing but my former neighbor up in Maine had one that he mixed in Lysol to clean his tile floor. That convinced me that it was alright.

I guess if they didn't say "Don't put anything but water in the unit", some dummy would put gasoline in it and eventually make another rich lawyer.

I put non-volatile chemicals in my steam cleaner all the time, (Lysol, Mr. Clean, Bug Squash.) I never put in bleach, any kind of petrochemicals in it.
    Yeah I figure that 's a liability statement to cover their arses, but one never knows. How strong does the steam come out of your unit (I don't want any perverted remarks about this statement guys! lol ) Mine comes out pretty strong. How far away from the paint do you hold it away? Do you blast it with the steam or hold it farther away to give it a more gentle heat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it wasn't my car I put the nylon brush right up against the car and blasted it!

My steam cleaner shoots out a pretty good stream. I would say about 2 inches from the end of the brush is all steam with another two feet of water vapor comes out after that.

(Remember, you can't see steam.)

But bottom line, I blast it!

You got me thinking about using my steam cleaner on the inside of the engine compartment. Hmmmmmmm???????????

Post Thanks / Like
    My steamer says that you're not supposed to use any solutions other than water.
    Have not tried this method before. But you may want to try applying the bug squash and let it sit for a minute or two then try the steamer with plain water to remove it. That is if you are worried about the chemicals being in the steamer. I use Duragloss HD Truck & Equipment Wash for bugs. It is currently cut 1:2 with water and it makes the bugs run off. I am sure it can be cut more and work great as I don't use much at all, approx. 2-3 sprays misted on a rinsed front then imediately wiped with mitt or next time it will be schmitt. I haven't tried the DG Bug Remover as the Truck and Equipment Wash was a tip from a relative that has a mobile detail. Sorry for the long post.

Post Thanks / Like
    An old clay bar W/ the bug remover has worked for me.
    '05 F-250 Crew
    '06 Charger R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem on my wife's Explorer. I've sat on it with SSR2.5 and the orange pad and it's only gotten slightly better. No way to get it off and drives me nuts as it makes the whole hood look awful.

Post Thanks / Like
    look up the pinnacle safe scrub on autogeek, its a yellow scrubbing block that does wonders... you gotta put some muscle into it on the harder bugs but its a great addition to the big products you may have. we use these all day at work... my arms have been getting quite muscular to tell the truth! anyways it is safe but looks and feels like it will maul your paint, it wont, trust me!

if you cant get a bug off are you sure it is in fact a bug and not the remaining damage? a love bug left on paint for more than about 2 days will have eaten through the paint and leaves tons of little craters in the paint where it splattered.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast